Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have UPC cable to house but bill says MMDS....?

• 23-01-2008 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

This may or may not make any difference......Having just received my bill from UPC(was Chorus) I see they have my service described as MMDS Digital Max.

Based in Co. Kildare, I receive my signal by cable and always thought MMDS was received by dish?

Does this limit the amount of channels I can get and am I not getting the full service available to other digital users....?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭maxg

Check the sticker underneath of your sagem box from chorus.
    If you read ITD its a box for mmds and you get a mmds signal from a central antenna.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Golden Horde

maxg wrote: »
    Check the sticker underneath of your sagem box from chorus.
    If you read ITD its a box for mmds and you get a mmds signal from a central antenna.

Yeah...it reads ITD60.

Does this restrict the number of channels I get or do I get the full service...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Yeah...it reads ITD60.

Does this restrict the number of channels I get or do I get the full service...?

Call UPC? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭CO19

Channels vary from area to area unfortunately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Your probably fed from MMDS on to a cable system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 498 ✭✭gerryo

Usually get fewer channels on MMDS for the same € compared to cable.

DingDong wrote: »
    Your probably fed from MMDS on to a cable system.
    <speechless> :eek:

gerryo wrote: »
    <speechless> :eek:
    Don't know what you find so shocking about this Gerry. If a housing development is to far away from a cable network, it makes far more sense to connect it to an MMDS aerial. Would you prefer every home to have a MMDS aerial or be fed from an underground system from a central mast. Also if the cable network does eventually reach out to the MMDS system it can easily be transfered to normal cable system.

Don't know what you find so shocking about this Gerry. If a housing development is to far away from a cable network, it makes far more sense to connect it to an MMDS aerial. Would you prefer every home to have a MMDS aerial or be fed from an underground system from a central mast. Also if the cable network does eventually reach out to the MMDS system it can easily be transfered to normal cable system.
    UPC MMDS has fewer channels compared to digital cable.

Maybe Digital MAX gives the same number of channels as basic digital cable, in which case if it is offered to UPC customers at the same price as basic digital cable, that's ok.

Should be made very clear what's installed, generally MMDS installations require one antenna per installation. a Communal MMDS should be cheaper for customers, hope that is reflected in the bills.

You do get less channels on MMDS but your not missing out on much. A Communal MMDS probably works out more expensive for UPC. Think of all the extra equipment amps, taps, cable, connectors, chambers, ducting and powering the whole system as opposed to a MMDS dish and the customer powering it from their home.
    I've no idea the pricing difference between MMDS and cable for the customer.

• Advertisement

A Communal MMDS probably works out more expensive for UPC. Think of all the extra equipment amps, taps, cable, connectors, chambers, ducting and powering the whole system as opposed to a MMDS dish and the customer powering it from their home. .

That may not always be the case, most new housing estates have the ducts in place, UPC just need to pull the cables through. Putting up 20 MMDS antennae + 20 lashing kits must be more expensive than 1 communal aerial.
    I've no idea the pricing difference between MMDS and cable for the customer.

For the same price as a digital cable customer, MMDS customers get about 16 channels, or thereabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

gerryo wrote: »
    For the same price as a digital cable customer, MMDS customers get about 16 channels, or thereabouts.

It's more than that, it's at least 60.

UPC usually supply all the duct's(builder puts them in place) and materials required. Its not just the cost of communal aerial and cable Gerry. If you look at the costs you have amplifers(can be very expensive alone) power supply unit for the whole network(also very expensive), 540 cable and connectors, taps, cabinets,manholes,pole for MMDS aerial, labour of pulling cables and making a massive about of connection. setting up the system and maintaining it. All these thing add up as oppose to just a MMDS aerial ran from from your roof to the etu. A cable system is very expensive to deploy even if its fed from MMDS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The current MPEG2 MMDS can do up to 120 channels in areas where Analogue has been disabled. It's only limited to about 60 channels where Analogue is still transmitted. If they change to MPEG4 eventually they can do 240 channels, or about 180 channels and 12 HD channels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Is analogue MMDS still running anywhere? I know someone who still has an analogue box in Limerick (god knows how), and they were still getting something the last time I asked (late last year) - can't remember what exactly now...

paulm17781 wrote: »
    It's more than that, it's at least 60.
    I'm on the basic MMDS package & get less than 20 channels.

I'm not counting those late night shopping channels that "share" a slot.

4 of those are the Irish terrestrial, 4 more are the UK channels.
    I'm pretty certain most times a new channel is added to the basic cable package, it costs extra on MMDs packages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 r6776

Analogue MMDS is still out there alright, i was working chorus in southeast for a while before christmas. (back in dublin ntl mmds) now thank god. Nearly all transmitters are upgraded to digital now but some are still analogue. Pitty the people on it. Ask them to ring cust support, get a tech out and ask him to test it for digital. When i was working on chorus most people didnt know they could get digital so i upgraded them. Man i never seen people so happy when i done it for them lol

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Bigjez

In balbriggan I get mmds tv service from cable not from an aerial. I have broadband up to 30mbps cause they can't provide 50 in the area. My question is why I'm not on a normal cable feed? Can the cables not handle all the traffic?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,878 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

We don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement