Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Second hand 4x4- Please help!!

Options
  • 23-01-2008 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭

As I posted before, I'm looking to repalce my '00 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport, with an newer 4x4. I really need the pulling power and to a certain extent the 4x4 (mostly just the good ground clearance and rear wheel drive though)

I have looked at a Landcruiser and Hilux (for 5K along with my own I could get the same year landcruiser with much higher milage)

Hyundai Terracan (Had a hyundai Dealer shout abuse at me about even inquiring about one, he thought they were soft as sh1t, am still open to the idea though)

Nissan Navara (Too long and aqward, no comfort as it will still be a run around, they arent the best looking either)

Opel frontera (nothing that cheap could be just good value could it?)

I Like the idea of the short wheel base Pajero, Nissan Patrol, and the Kingcab Hilux or Navara. My priorities are economy30 MPG+, reliability and a little bit of luxury for about 13 - 14K. Am I just being fussy or is there anything else out there, if anybody has any ideas please post, I havent test driven anything yet (in case I buy) so am open to anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'm looking for a good Subaru Forester myself at the moment - would something like that suit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭250882

Dont know, do they come in a diesel, how are they economy wise and how are they with ground clearance. also do they come in a commercial?
    I am open to any suggestions right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭chilipepper

if it's pulling power your after u wont go wrong with a landcruiser and if u have to take it off road u wont be let down in that department either they will go just about anywhere and very relieable also.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

This
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=739613

might be an interesting alternative at half your budget.

ok, it's petrol ...but look at the price

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

peasant wrote: »
    might be an interesting alternative at half your budget.

A lot cooler as well.

• Advertisement

I would, if I could rip out the back seats, paint over the back windows and class it as a commercial.

Anybody have any experience with a Nissan Patrol (GR) or the 3.2L pajero short wheel base??

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭E. Fudd

I bought a '03 short wheel base pajero, 3.2, in December. I'ts great, much nicer than what you'd get for your money in comparison to a landcruiser, is brilliant off road, and the best towing vehicle I've ever had.
    I cant comment on the reliability as I haven't had it long enough, but I can comment on the fuel consumption, and well, Just don't reset the trip clock and you won't feel two bad!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭ford jedi

if you want the ultimate towin jeep and most relaible vx landcruiser 4.2 and not to bad on fuel have one awhile and it could pull a house down

Any idea of the economy of a jeep this size, going looking at one in Dublin at the weekend.
    Its still a toss up between the terracan and the patrol, I can get a nice shiny 04 terracan or a muddy scraped 02 patrol.
    I'm tight so I like the idea of spending my money on something up the years but a Patrol is a real 4x4 with a reputation for serious off roading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I have a 01 LWB Landcruiser Auto Commercial that will be for sale shortly if you're interested.

Have to get rid of my own first, unless you want to take a trade in??;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm selling but not buying again for 18 months. No use for the car in that time.

to be very harsh a terrican is a piece of crap ,the only real off roaders are pajeros except sports ! landcruisers and patrols these vehicles have big running costs but you pay for what you get,very reialble and yet good on the road anything below these and the pressurses of towing will soon show on a -iss weak 2litreive got a 96 vx 4.2 and i prefer driving that than my 05 range rover. vx,s have been well know to do the big 6 digit milege .even old ones cost big money but when you drive them they have a big presence on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Jesus, don't buy a Terracan (or Terracan't as we used to call them) they're not worth the grief.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 883 ✭✭✭moe_sizlak

if off roading is your number 1 priority , then there is only one jeep for you and thats the landrover defender , there about as comfortable as riding a camel but in terms of there ability to take abuse , they have no contender
    the chassis is built like a tank and they have old style suspension , no multi link nonesense

that said if you intend to ever drive your jeep for longer than an hour at a time or into the city , i would give the defender a miss
    in that case i would go for the landcruiser , pajero are nice to drive but in terms of reliability and resale value , they dont hold a candle to a landcruiser
    there also very hard on juice

ps , while there no good off road , the kia sorento are lovely to drive , good to look at and superb value

the only problem with the defender is you would end up having a bit too much fun and end up with it stuck on its roof somewhere:D

that would probably be very likely to happen, I have a reputation for killing quads and trikes(you can however get a good workout trying to push a trike home when you are carrying the front wheel in the otehr hand)
    Unfortunately the girlfriend doesnt see the merits in going back in the years to buy a landcruiser and thats the only way I could afford one.

Pajero or Patrol so!
    any figures on economy on either of these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

250882 wrote: »
    that would probably be very likely to happen, I have a reputation for killing quads and trikes(you can however get a good workout trying to push a trike home when you are carrying the front wheel in the otehr hand)
    Unfortunately the girlfriend doesnt see the merits in going back in the years to buy a landcruiser and thats the only way I could afford one.

Pajero or Patrol so!
    any figures on economy on either of these?

My dad has a 2.5 td pajero - does 28mpg - and thats going easy - he takes it handy. To be honest, any 2.5 litre + 4x4 will give no more in my opinion than 33-35 mpg..........on a good day.

I know but anything around 30 and above 25 is a vast improvement over my own.

• Advertisement

My dad has a 2.5 td pajero - does 28mpg - and thats going easy - he takes it handy. To be honest, any 2.5 litre + 4x4 will give no more in my opinion than 33-35 mpg..........on a good day.

the op is looking for a 2nd hand jeep , most pajero,s out there are 3.2 litre and are a divil on juice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

i took a chance on a 99 frontera a few months back and i'm very happy with it so far.

They have a crap reputation, as the first gen ones were awful heaps of junk, the second gen ones seem to be better, you hear less bad things about them anyway

thing is they're incredibly cheap because of this rep. I paid six and a half for my 99 with 100k 2 years test, electrics, spotless with a 3 month warranty.

it's quite refined to travel in, i've done the length of the country a few times now and gotten out feeling fresh after the drive. in the 6k miles since i got it it's averaging 36 mpg and thats mostly been either very windy county roads or flat out on the motorway.

its fast too, like it actually has real overtaking grunt in fifth gear. i've only done a bit of towing with it, but it hauled a car and trailer from dungannon to thurles just fine, maybe not quite as stable as my old rangerover but never felt dangerous.

I bought it for the cheap passenger tax as its a 2.2 but its impressing me more and more every time i drive it.

plus if the engine does go bang then it's not been an expensive machine and an old isuzu 2.8 from a trooper can be thrown in for small money.

in summation, its no landcruiser, but for the similar mileage and year they're also nearly half the price

JohnBoy wrote: »
    i took a chance on a 99 frontera a few months back and i'm very happy with it so far.

They have a crap reputation, as the first gen ones were awful heaps of junk, the second gen ones seem to be better, you hear less bad things about them anyway

thing is they're incredibly cheap because of this rep. I paid six and a half for my 99 with 100k 2 years test, electrics, spotless with a 3 month warranty.

it's quite refined to travel in, i've done the length of the country a few times now and gotten out feeling fresh after the drive. in the 6k miles since i got it it's averaging 36 mpg and thats mostly been either very windy county roads or flat out on the motorway.

its fast too, like it actually has real overtaking grunt in fifth gear. i've only done a bit of towing with it, but it hauled a car and trailer from dungannon to thurles just fine, maybe not quite as stable as my old rangerover but never felt dangerous.

I bought it for the cheap passenger tax as its a 2.2 but its impressing me more and more every time i drive it.

plus if the engine does go bang then it's not been an expensive machine and an old isuzu 2.8 from a trooper can be thrown in for small money.

in summation, its no landcruiser, but for the similar mileage and year they're also nearly half the price

fonterras are useless off road

I was offered 03 frontera for good money but me girlfriends dad has a vendetta against opel. If I brought it to their house in Dublin he probably would'nt let me park it on their road incase anybody saw it.
    The Nissan Patrol is now the front runner, the only problem is that its so big, seen lots of vids of the 4.2 and it looks a ball of fun. I can only find 3.0L's and thats good enough for me, going to look at some tomorrow if this snow melts. Looks to be a nice interior in them too with plenty of extras and if I get a good price I'll definately put some BF goodrichs on it.

Snow didnt melt and Patrol was sold. Looks like a Terrano so. Its a lot quicker than me own but it has off road tyres on (maybe not such a good idea) and rides like a dog, corners fairly good and there is lots of space in the cabin but I dont know a lot about them. Are they economical (stupid question with a 2.7 TDI I know but relative) and reliable? any known problems?

Went to see a grand vitara as well, girl friend loves it but it aint commercial and I know they are good but they are small and the ground clearance isnt great.

Any opinions on which to go for?
    (please no more landcruisers I cant afford one)

Advertisement