Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hoegaarden - Definitely the best beer in the world!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

I just tried this beer for the first time yesterday mainly because it was on sale in Tesco's. It was €5.99 for 4 pack and the boast that they're cheaper than Aldi.

Love Hoegaarden.

Was introduced to it while living in the Limburg Region of Holland / Belgium.

Lidl were selling the Large 750 ml bottles there a couple off weeks ago. I made a nice meal one saturday and had a bottle and went out and just couldn't drink anything in the pub after as nothing could match it.

Aventinus though would be one off my favorites, haven't had it in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

Last time i saw hoegaarden on tap was at a beer festival in Pine Lodge.
    €8.50 a pint for 6.6%? No thanks, ill stick to a delirium tremmins for that price :P

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Arcto wrote: »
    €8.50 a pint for 6.6%? No thanks
    Are you thinking of Leffe Blonde? Hoegaarden is 5% ABV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭Arcto

BeerNut wrote: »
    Are you thinking of Leffe Blonde? Hoegaarden is 5% ABV.

Correct sir, sorry. I just remember the leffe and hoegaarden being E8.50 a throw, was quiet suprised by that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Ishindar

i enjoyed Hoegaarden on lazy afternoons living in france although not more than 2 glasses as it gets very lemony.

leffe tripe is the perfect beer imho, the best of belgium, nice stong beer with big flavors perfectly balanced. pity its still not available here.

this beer is my fav at the moment and its pure magic juice

http://www.beerangel.com/product_info.php?info=p86_Augustiner-Helles.html&XTCsid=b9da4f1167a28735374bd5271999fd52
    cost me aprox 2.11 per bottle delivered.

Ishindar wrote: »
    leffe tripe
    Mmmm, cow stomach...
    pity its still not available here.
    Most of Dublin's good quality beer off licences sell Leffe Tripel.

Mmmm, cow stomach...

Most of Dublin's good quality beer off licences sell Leffe Tripel.

i have been watching out for leffe triple here for years and never once seen it, although leffe blonde is very common.
    if you could tell me somewhere preferable close to blanchardstown? i would be amazed thks!

i have been watching out for leffe triple here for years and never once seen it
    It all depends on where you're watching, I guess ;) The green pins here are the places to look. I'd say DrinkStore on Manor Street is your nearest.

It all depends on where you're watching, I guess ;) The green pins here are the places to look. I'd say DrinkStore on Manor Street is your nearest.

ok ill check that out asap, thks for the tip!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

The only leffe not available is leffe 9°, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

mayordenis wrote: »
    The only leffe not available is leffe 9°, right?

i had a bottle of leffe 9° last night, (picked it up in the north)

Whats the story with it ? Is it just not imported here, or have they stopped making it? Why isn't it available ?

pa990 wrote: »
    Is it just not imported here, or have they stopped making it? Why isn't it available ?
    Yeah, I'm not sure if this is A-B InBev Ireland or one of the independent importers (probably the latter), but they've just decided not to bring it here.

pain in the hole tbh, I actually think because of it's mass marketedness it's become hugely under rated by alot of people - still a very good range of beers. Can't get a single bastarding bottle of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

These are great beers no doubt. But so flavoursome that are they difficult to drink in quantity without leaving the mouth more than a little foul.

I actually think because of it's mass marketedness it's become hugely under rated by alot of people - still a very good range of beers.
    Personally speaking, I disagree with that. I under-rate them because they're mostly quite bland, certainly when compared to lots of other Belgian beers -- even mass-produced mass-marketed ones. They taste like they've either been made on the cheap or with deliberately muted flavours.

Edited to add: I do quite like Leffe Blonde on draught. I think the hops come out more in it.

I've just had a nose thru my beer press..
    and i found two bottles of leffe 9°
    :)

These are great beers no doubt. But so flavoursome that are they difficult to drink in quantity without leaving the mouth more than a little foul.

I for one, will inhale them.
    Personally speaking, I disagree with that. I under-rate them because they're mostly quite bland, certainly when compared to lots of other Belgian beers -- even mass-produced mass-marketed ones. They taste like they've either been made on the cheap or with deliberately muted flavours.

Edited to add: I do quite like Leffe Blonde on draught. I think the hops come out more in it.

I don't know about that now - I definately think the draught is head and shoulder above but the bottled stuff is highly sessionable - I'm probably going to make some people here think I'm a philistine but not all the time do I want something overly complex. Sometimes I want something simple yet enjoyable without being drivel. The Bruin, and viele cuvee(spell fail) are both very very tasty drinks too.
    Saying that I'd take a Galway Hooker of Goose Island IPA over it any day, but I shan't be turning my nose up at it any time soon.
    pa990 wrote: »
    I've just had a nose thru my beer press..
    and i found two bottles of leffe 9°
    :)

Just PM'd you my details there - I assume you'll post free of charge :pac:

not all the time do I want something overly complex
    I know what you mean, but when the simple drinkin' beer is 6.6% ABV it just seems like a waste of units to me.

• Advertisement

Just PM'd you my details there - I assume you'll post free of charge :pac:

Postage is free.. Beer is great value.. Packaging and Insurance is very expensive

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gdoubleu

I'm trying to compile a list of "go to"places that serve hoegaarden draught in Dublin. So far I've found The Bernard Shaw and Market Bar, but am finding both places tiresome. Anyone kicking knowledge out there? Thanks.

Pretty sure O'Neill's on Suffolk Street has it, likewise Sólas.

Unfortunately, Heineken have been campaigning viciously to get pubs to replace it with Paulaner.

Also, Celis White in Sin É and Dice Bar is a very good substitute, IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

The Duke also has it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 gdoubleu

Thanks very much, I will try them all...I had a Paulaner the other day and it just does not have that refreshing quality...thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Dakota has it too. First place I tried it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭thelynchfella

Pretty sure O'Neill's on Suffolk Street has it, likewise Sólas.

Unfortunately, Heineken have been campaigning viciously to get pubs to replace it with Paulaner.

Also, Celis White in Sin É and Dice Bar is a very good substitute, IMO.

O'Neills defo have it....I love hoegaarden, gonna have to drop into sin é later on try the celis white

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

Had a pint in Anseo last night, pretty sure it under a 10er for a pint of Hoegaarden and Galway Hooker

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Lidl have the big bottle of Hoegaarden on offer for €3 on monday.

• Advertisement

catbear wrote: »
    Lidl have the big bottle of Hoegaarden on offer for €3 on monday.

Brilliant..
    just in time for summer.

any other special beers in stock on monday

Advertisement