Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gumtree find

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Goodbye savings, hellooooo fixie :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Nice enough looking bike. Fashionable or perfectly generic depending on how you look at it. Extremely overpriced.

The €30 pedals for €100 is a nice touch, just because they have Soma clips.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

that's a nice bike but €900 is ott i reckon. could get a new steamroller plus several upgrades for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 natdublin

evening all.. a friend stumbled across this link and forward it onto me.

the senn is mine. anyway, the pedals work out as 85euro if you do it the cheap way. they ended up costing me 100 because i made a mess of one of my orders. naturally, i'd let them go for 85. they're tight as anything and feel great. best clips i've ever used.

if you dont beleive me, check out thebikebiz.com and throw all those items into shopping cart and then calculate shipping to ireland.

900 is alot. yup. but that's what'll take to pry this bike from me, remember most of the parts are new. sure, stramrollers are decent bikes, loads of people have them. but that's the thing, you see.. loads of people have them. this one's unique.

anyway. i hope this has shed some light.. if it makes you angry,just stop thinig about it. or build one yourself and sell it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭cowan

Ill swap you a unique kona cowan for it lol, thats a really sweet looking bike mate. Pretty unique alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

The wheels and the spec look great but since the frame isn't new or track/fixie specific I'm wondering how much it cost you alone?

There are lots of very nice steel frames out there that can be bought for a song. I recently bought a pristine 1989 Mercian road bike frame, Reynolds 653 tubing, with horizontal drop outs like your one for €100. Specced like yours i probably couldn't command much more than €500, maybe €600 if I was selling.

Its always more expensive to build up your own machine than to buy complete, so sellers need to take this into account, really, if they are only building up to sell on, rather than keep it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭niceonetom

Itsfixed wrote: »
    T I recently bought a pristine 1989 Mercian road bike frame, Reynolds 653 tubing, with horizontal drop outs like your one for €100.

:eek: where? all the mercians i see on ebay seem to go for way more than that. i've been thinking of building another bike (as always) but it seems that the cost of good steel frames has tripled since i last looked. i think it's most due to fashionistas like this chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

to the owner of the above bike, where in Budapest did you buy it? 900euro is far far far far too steep for a conversion even with those parts

niceonetom wrote: »
    :eek: where? all the mercians i see on ebay seem to go for way more than that. i've been thinking of building another bike (as always) but it seems that the cost of good steel frames has tripled since i last looked. i think it's most due to fashionistas like this chap.

Well it was just under a year ago, and I certainly didn't expect to win it at that price, so maybe i beat the rush :-)

Haven't built it up yet, shame on me. Hopefully in next couple of months for summer fun. I'll post pics if i get the chance

There's a lovely Mercian Pro lugless up there (with Vincitore lugs on the front-end) at the mo, going to watch it to see what it ends up selling for.

I was actually going to buy the Senn at that price or close to it - it may be expensive but it's lovely, and there's the convenience factor of a fully-built bike to factor in - but I've just run into unexpected costs, so I'm out of the bidding for now. Shame, 'cos it is a beautiful thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

beans wrote: »
    there's the convenience factor of a fully-built bike to factor in

Not that there's much building involved in a brakeless fixed wheel bike. For €900 I'd expect my bars to be taped too... ;)

There's the satisfaction of new skills learned and a job well done, too - being able to eat and wear shoes is just a bonus :)

Morgan wrote: »
    Not that there's much building involved in a brakeless fixed wheel bike. For €900 I'd expect my bars to be taped too... ;)

What planet are you living on? Not having tape on bars is, like, a big part of the fixie aesthetic, man. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭wahlrab

with 900 euros you could easily get a much better bike, a real track bike rather than a conversion, i don't mean to be continually slating the above bike but i'm sure it will sell as people are willing to pay any amount these days to buy into a fad. Beans have you looked at some mercians or would you prefer a more modern look?

I personally love the lugged Mercian look - I currently have a bid on a track frame that I found on e-bay, not a Mercian but in that style I suppose

40b1_1.JPG

I don't have 900€ at the mo, but if I did I'd probably have bought this. The only thing that I didn't like was the fact that it's a conversion rather than a track frame proper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

Snipped from another fixie forum:

"
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Senn-Losa-Fixie-fixed-wheel-track-bike-converted-road_W0QQitemZ230213635204QQihZ013QQcategoryZ33503QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

i've asked if there was a mistake in the starting bid and whether it should be 90 euro's instead :p

i got this
    "900euro is the price. this bike is unique. thanks nat"

i sent him this
    "Sorry to disappoint you Nat, but 900 euros for a conversion is, to say the least, ridiculous. Seems to me you were silly enough to spend all that cash and now realise you're in debt. All the best, cause you're going to need it!!"

then got this!
    "some rich kid who just wants a cool fixie will buy it. have done in the past.. thanks though"

gotta laugh! "

Ah well, like he says if people are looking to throw money away to look cool, i suppose you can't blame people like himself for taking advantage of them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Has anyone else heard of Senn frames before? I certainly haven't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

That's a ****ing ridiculous price for some steel frame with a load of budget parts.

All of which makes me look a little foolish I guess, but you live and learn

Advertisement