Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Free network monitoring tool

• 23-01-2008 5:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

Anybody got a suggestion for a free network monitoring tool to monitor network usage on pc's on a LAN.
    I'm experiencing slowdowns at certain times of the day and no one is owning up to it.
    I just need to monitor network usuage from eiher IP addresses or Mac Addresses. I know a few apps that can do this, but are prety pricey, so im looking for a free one to see will that do the job for me first

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Cactai
    Cricket or
    Mrtg

Should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

What gateway/router do you have?
    You'll need to check if it supports SNMP (Simple Network Management Protocol), and configure the Read-Only community string (change it to something other than 'public'). It's advisable to change the Read-Write community string too (normally 'private').
    It then depends on what you want to monitor and what the router exposes via SNMP.
    Monitoring bandwidth usage by MAC, IP or physical port should be easy. Determining which is WAN-bound or which is just local to the LAN (Windows filesharing) could be a little more difficult.
    If you're connected via a switch to the router, and it supports SNMP, you should be able to monitor the bandwidth on each port.

The best thing about monitoring from the devices rather than the PCs is that it's passive and they won't know it's happening.

Advertisement