Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guns seized in 1972

Options
  • 23-01-2008 6:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

As a matter of interest to me. What happened to the firearms, pistols and rifles over .22 cal. That the guards sized in about 1972. Were they ever returned?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

why were they sized in the first place?
    wasnt born for another few years:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭foxhunter

I got my fathers ones back a few years ago and in perfect working order aswell.
    They were looked after over the years to a fairly good standard if mine are anything to go by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

why were they sized in the first place?
    wasnt born for another few years:D

Little bit of trouble in the Northern Ireland, there was a fear a terrorist organisation would take/be given them to fight a close neighbour of ours ..............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

As a matter of interest to me. What happened to the firearms, pistols and rifles over .22 cal. That the guards sized in about 1972. Were they ever returned?

Most if not all are stored in military barracks around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Would a lot of people have claimed their stuff back yet ? And what with guns that were destroyed ? Is the state liable for compensation ?

If most indeed is stored by the defence forces you wouldn't have much to worry about in regards to deterioration. The average armourer is a stickler for maintenance and loves to keep the gear in his/her care shipshape as a matter of professional pride.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Would a lot of people have claimed their stuff back yet ? And what with guns that were destroyed ? Is the state liable for compensation ?

I got my late father's pistols back last year. If you believe you have a rightful claim you can write to the firearms section in Garda HQ in the Phoenix Park giving details of ownership and they will check their records. In my case I had to provide will / probate details etc. before they would return them to me. They will release firearms back to a firearms dealer pending you obtaining a licence or arranging a sale. The pistols were in excellent condition considering they had been stored for 34 years. Plenty of grease used:) I don't know if any were destroyed, though! Are you aware of specific incidents where this has happened?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Alot of people don't realise that they can get the back or just couldn't be bothered. AFAIK they were all stored very well and maintained. So they should be as good as the day they were handed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Though the ammunition handed in at the time may no longer be usable or even safe.

Advertisement