Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stuff to do in Westport

Options
  • 23-01-2008 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭

it's my cousin's stag in a couple of weeks, and the best man (moron) is not the most fun guy in the world and has asked me to check out decent stuff to do there. basically we're looking for something that might be a bit of a laugh (not golf/fishing) on the saturday afternoon before the inevitable drinking. also, if anyone could give me the names of decent pubs/clubs that would be most appreciated

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭breadbin

theres paintball, dunno if it is open this time of year though but you could always climb the reek;-) you'd feel like you deserve a few pints after that. ha ha There is only one club in westport and thats in the castlecourt hotel called C2. so thats where you'll be going!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

71 views of this thread and one reply....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,217 ✭✭✭pookie82

Hey there. Westport actually has three clubs on the go but you'll probably want to go to the busiest one so C3 in the castlecourt is your best bet. Re pubs you should check out Matt Molloys for your first drink as it's got a live music section down the back which can be a bit of craic. The West is good, Heneghans has a good beer garden and usually live music (younger crowd as opposed to Molloys) in the back section. McGings is worth a look, as is O'Malley's. There's a nice pub on Mill Street as well, can't remember the name at this moment in time but it's just a few doors over from the chipper!! There's a small pub on James Street called Blousers which can be nice if you like a quiet one, and Toby's is the place to go for an old fashioned quiet pint!! For a younger vibe try the Jester or Cosy Joe's, both on Bridge (or main) street.

Can't really think of much to do at this time of year there as weather is an issue if it's soon. But climbing the Reek with a few mates is genuinely good craic if you're up for a bit of exercise before the piss up. There's a cinema.........!! Or you guys could take a dip in the Atlantic. there are some really nice beaches around but you'll need a car to get to them....do any of you surf?? There's a beach in Carronisky (not a clue of the spelling of that) and I presume you guys could rent suits and boards etc. Gets some serious waves at this time of year.

Hope it goes well, anything else you want to know, ask!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

I agree with everything pookie82 said. I persoanlly think you should hire a minibus, and either go to the arcade/cinema* in Castlebar or Delphi/Lecanvy Adventure Centre's.

There's paintball shooting, etc and things like that all around the place. i must admit, Westport is more popular for nightlife, and has little activities to offer until it starts getting busy in june again.

Could you be more precise on what your looking for, as in paintball, activities;indoor or outdoor? ... If you can tell me what you're looking for, i'll forward more details to you, along with contact details and maps by PM. Have you booked hotels, etc yet?

*arcade and cinema are beside each other, no there's no problem there.

Regards,
    Nev.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

Yes that is really frustrating.I posted a thread on Kinsale (Things to do) and Dublin flights to Bari/Brindisi (travel) and got no replies,nada...nothing.

Anyway,Molloys as said previously,is good craic and more old fashioned with a fire down the back and live irish music as I remember.Heneghans as I remember has a guitarist that takes requests.Anything from new age to folk rock.

Outdoor activities are what Westport are better known for ie surfing,swimming,golfing and fishing.Westport and more specifically Clew Bay is supposed to be excellent for shark fishing.Then theres Croagh Patrick which is worth a small walk up.I'd suggest taking the car and driving to Carrowniskey and Carrowmore.These are two excellent beaches for surfing.Or go to Leenane and visit Killary harbour.

Indoor activities include the swimming pool and leisure facilities in Westport Hotel.I forget the exact name of it but it is on the Westport to Louisburgh road.

Have fun.

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    Indoor activities include the swimming pool and leisure facilities in Westport Hotel.I forget the exact name of it but it is on the Westport to Louisburgh road.
    Have fun.
    Agree with Blackbelt.

The swimming pool is Hotel Westport, it's a very good one, as is Atlantic Coast(well, only it's gym, swimming pool is okay too tho), also there's the leisure park.

This website is also very good:

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/Mayo/Towns/WestPort/Westport.htm

It has a list of most the different activities around mayo and westport.
    Don't be afraid to look into Louisburgh for beaches and all that, Castlebar for shopping and Newport, nice traditional place. Check out aughagower, it's a nice village, if you have a camera or are looking for scenery, it's a nice place to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

thanks fot your suggestions

i think we're heading to Killary for the day on saturday so im mainly interested
    in the nightlife aspect for friday and saturday, im sure we'll wing it and we'll have a laugh wherever we go. im always up for a bit of drunken dancing so the club in the hotel is probably the best for that yes?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

The Cattlecourt? Oh gods...

Yes the Castle is definitely your best bet. The locals give out about it but they love it really :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

If you'd gone to page 2, you might have seen my query for info on Westport. Someone gave 5 or 6 links. look.

pookie82 wrote: »
    Yes the Castle is definitely your best bet. The locals give out about it but they love it really :-)
    Yep, but sneak in your own bottles of vodka cos' the drink ain't cheap! Drinking out, especially in nightclubs is very expensive across the country, but none more so than Mojo's!

Have a look into Cosy Joes on Bridge Street, late night pub, good atmosphere...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

Kharn wrote: »
    The Cattlecourt? Oh gods...

Easily my least favourite nightclub......EVER! And thats saying a lot when I go to mantra or the lounge a lot of weekends in castlebar (I have benefits of going there ;)).

The pubs in westport are good craic most nights though, especially summer!

Easily my least favourite nightclub......EVER! And thats saying a lot when I go to mantra or the lounge a lot of weekends in castlebar (I have benefits of going there ;)).

Meh, I go to the youth discos in there, there's just something about it I dont like, and the atmosphere in there is just brutal, but I hear that thats just because of all the immature people...

Yah, during the summer is really nice, but in february and early early march,
    might be quieter than usual.

Oh god, mantra. Never again it's a TIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭redmosquito

pookie82 wrote: »
    Oh god, mantra. Never again it's a TIP.

Still better than the cattlecourt ;)

Advertisement