Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight simulator - Keyboard or joystick

Options
  • 23-01-2008 6:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    I have this on my computer and I am using a keyboard which is only ok I think for controlling the plane though I don't know what it's like to use a joystick.

Basically should I get the joystick? Is it worth it like for extra realism etc.

Also, my computer is rubbish for flight sim. I'm on the lowest settings. I want to get a computer that can run flight sim 2004 well at the lowest possible price. I will be going used on adverts.ie.

How much would you imagine I will end up needing to spend?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

yes buy a joystick it's absolutely worth it for the extra realism, nobody plays flight simulators with a keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

MooseJam wrote: »
    yes buy a joystick it's absolutely worth it for the extra realism, nobody plays flight simulators with a keyboard

Yeah ok. It's probably a completely different game with one.

Now just regarding getting a decent machine.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Personally I don't think it's as much about the realism as it is about the controllability. All but the cheapest crappiest joysticks will give you far more precise analogue control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

stevenmu wrote: »
    Personally I don't think it's as much about the realism as it is about the controllability. All but the cheapest crappiest joysticks will give you far more precise analogue control.

yea what he said, it's so much easier to control a plane with a joystick than a keyboard

stevenmu wrote: »

That's exactly what I was looking for. You've put it into words though! heh heh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,993 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Building a computer to play FlightSim really depends on what version you have. Sooo.... what version of FlightSim do you have?

eo980 wrote: »
    Building a computer to play FlightSim really depends on what version you have. Sooo.... what version of FlightSim do you have?

I have 2004 but now I'm thinking maybe flight simulator x.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Also, my computer is rubbish for flight sim. I'm on the lowest settings. I want to get a computer that can run flight sim 2004 well at the lowest possible price. I will be going used on adverts.ie.

How much would you imagine I will end up needing to spend?

taking what you said about wanting fsx later in the thread i'll give you the machine i built last year (i wont give prices because no doubt it's cheaper now). i didn't build it for fsx on its own, but it was part of the consideration. keep in mind my machine now plays everything at max with no real issues...

processor: intel core2duo 6600
    graphics: ati radeon hd2900xt
    ram: 2gb corsair
    motherboard: msi p35 platinum
    psu: ocz 600w xtreme

i know you're not looking to spend "mad" money or anything, but you can take that as being "premium" and just scale it back. or, go all out and get a good system, spend the money now so you wont have to later on.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

MooseJam wrote: »
    yea what he said, it's so much easier to control a plane with a joystick than a keyboard
    But you still end up using the keyboard just as much for all the other controls you need, or maybe I just need a joystick with a few more buttons on it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

O god yeah you need a joystick how could you even consider playing it without one!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

OP, ask in Computers>>Building/Upgrading for advice.

But simply: up the RAM (to 2Gb if you can), don't bother upgrading the CPU unless it's a really slow Celeron or similar, and get a graphics card -- generally, an Ati X1650/nVidia 7600-based (or higher) with GDDR3 RAM is best (tho with flight sim, i'm not sure if more RAM is actually beneficial -- it might be, tho).

Ok then. Looking at two machines at the moment.

First is http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=44209
    CPU: DualCore Intel Pentium D 830, 3.0 GHz
    Memory: 2GB (2048 MB DDR2-533 DDR2 SDRAM)
    Gfx: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX (256 MB)
    Audio: Creative SoundBlaster X-Fi
    5.1 speakers with (huge) sub-woofer
    HD: 2 x 74GB RAID (Western Digital WD800JD RAID, Total 150GB)
    DVD: 1 x LG DVD+/-RW (Re-Writable), 1 x SONY DVD-ROM
    Power: 550W

And the second is this one
    http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=43863

Core 2 Duo E6550 4mb cache(runs faster than a 4.5Ghz P4)
    2Gb DDR2 Dual Channel
    320Gb HDD
    16X DVDRW dual layer etc
    BFG 7950GT Oc (lifetime warranty).

Would these be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭Darwin

The second machine will run FSX much better, though you could do with more RAM. Also note that FSX running service pack 1 can take advantage of quad-core processors. If you've any cash left over get TrackIR4 and a Saitek x52 pro for total immersion :D

So the second system has a good graphics card then and everything. What is a trackir4 or Saitek x52?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Head-tracking system and a throttle+stick+rudder combo.

Google them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

And of course to fully appreciate the TrackIR you might consider getting a couple more 24" monitors so you have the panoramic view...so to speak. ;)

Advertisement