Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radiator Lockshield Valve

Options
  • 23-01-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭

On some of my radiators the short run of piping from my lockshield valve is hotter than the piping to my control valve (the one with the + and - sign). Is this the way things are supposed to be? And if not is there any obvious reason why they might be this way?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

It is obvious that the flow is in through the lockshield valve - the water cools a bit in the rad - and exits through the control valve. It can cause problems with thermostatic valves.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

JamesM wrote: »
    It is obvious that the flow is in through the lockshield valve - the water cools a bit in the rad - and exits through the control valve. It can cause problems with thermostatic valves.
    Jim.

Thanks. That's what I thought it might be. Is this the correct way for hot water to flow through rads - in through the lockshield valve, out through the control? Apart from problems with thermostats does it create other difficulties? And presumably all my rads should be on this system.

The first fix is done - there are 2 pipes sticking up out of the floor in each room. The Boss says: For your next job, hang the rads on the wall and connect up the valves. The aprentice walks into the room with a valve in each hand :confused::confused::confused::D

If there's not a thermostatic valve, then the 2 valves are the same under the covers - the water just flows through - alright ! it really should flow in through the control valve and out through the lockshield one, but it usually does not make a difference. :)
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Aeneas

Well it doesn't really surprise me given the other things that have not been done correctly on this installation. For balancing should I still use the lockshield valve or should I use the control valve? The reason I ask this is that I understand that in balancing the rads you open the entry valve fully (normally the control valve) and tweak the exit valve (normally the lockshield valve) until the temperature difference between the two pipes is about 12 degrees C. In my case the valves are reversed so do I need to reverse the balancing process? I had this done some years ago by a plumber but probably need to do it again.

Once again I will say that I am not an expert on this side of things. But, I feel that if a system is laid out properly, you will need the minimal amount of balancing. If I am helping someone out, if rads far from the boiler are not heating too well, I will suggest closing down the lockshield valves on the rads nearest to the boiler, and keeping the far away ones fully open. Trial and error will usually sort it out. The only time there are real problems, is when extra rads are fitted to an extension and the layout has not been planned properly.
    Jim.

• Advertisement
Advertisement