Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTi

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

I don't own one but thay are a great car. The engine is a torquey little thing and will move!
    You can fit a family in it and you get a big boot. You wont need an old field to keep it running either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

Nice car. Had two myself - well worth doing a search on here for threads though as there's LOTS of them.

You can bring one to a posh hotel and nobody will look twice at you and you can rag it down a B road heading for 60mph in 2nd gear if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Excellent car... I've owned one almost a year now, best car by a country mile that I've driven up to now. Its torquey, pulls like a train when you put the foot down, even in the higher gears, it doesn't drink fuel, its comfortable, well put together and 100% reliable. Doesn't cost much more to run than your average car, assuming you don't do massive miles, and insurance isn't an issue for you. Whats not to like!

The one in the link there, its been colour-coded by its current owner, which may or may not be to your taste. I personally prefer it left alone.
    As Mark said, there's been loads of threads on this topic, a few recent ones too, do the search.

Yeah i prefer the black skirting on the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

MK5 GTI is an awesome little car. Being driving a 2.0 TDI for a over a year before this, remapped to the gills, thought it was a quick car,,, I was wrong. The GTI is so smooth and powerful. Had mine for a few months now and still not sure when the turbo kicks in.... Try and get a DSG if you can, well worth the extra.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I like them. 3 door in white would be my choice, with DSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

I have nearly 7months and 20k kilometers done on mine and I still enjoy the thoughts of driving it.

Can be thirsty depending on driving style, you will tend to want to drive the back roads instead of the motorway.

Deffo look for the DSG option, I am so glad that I didn't get the manual !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭C_Breeze

I like them. 3 door in white would be my choice, with DSG.

3dr + White

... What better way to make a prestigous hot hatch look like a skangery Glanza :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Chalk and cheese my friend. Glanza to me smacks of cheapness, tinny build, and "have a go" mods.

Golf GTI has a certain élan however.

If you can't appreciate the difference, a Glanza would probably be perfect for you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

Solid hot hatch but far too many on the roads to stand out for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

A lot of the replies near-as-damit parrot Clarkson's TG review word-for-word...

White is associated with skangers in this country. Autocar jumped on the bandwagon of promoting white as a suitable colour for the GTI - personally I think red is a good colour. Also, silver contrasts well with the black 'moostache'...

The only VW product I'd consider buying...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Chalk and cheese my friend. Glanza to me smacks of cheapness, tinny build, and "have a go" mods.

Golf GTI has a certain élan however.

If you can't appreciate the difference, a Glanza would probably be perfect for you :D

Agreed, white is the colour to go for on the GTI.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

yeah have to agree with the white tbh. It's only when you go away on holidays when you notice how many more white cars there are on foreign roads especially in warmer climates. The main reason is white cars keep cooler than dark cars as they reflect the sun rather than absorb it like a dark car. I actually saw a new white polo gti the other day and thought it looked excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

OP, I have the GTi in red, manual, bog standard. Fantastic car, great fun, practicle, fast, lots of room...

I just wish it was white.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

élan

Ooooh!
    Get her!

If I ever had the money I'd get it in 5dr, white in colour, 18" alloys and DSG:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

theres a new golf coming along very soon check autoblog for final testing, so wont be a facelift as the new model will be brand new so might effect residuals.

Yeah defo the big wheels are a must , i'd also opt for leather plus dsg if the budget permits.

any pics? I heard it was just a face lift but they were going to revise the electronics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭Niall1234

Is the DSG that good ?

How exactly does it operate. I know that you get the option of both having fully automatic and sequential using the gear stick.

I certainly wouldn't consider an automatic with a torque converter but having the sequential option would be nice.

How much should I be willing to spend on a 2005 model with relatively low milage. (Under 30,000)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

lightening wrote: »
    OP, I have the GTi in red, manual, bog standard. Fantastic car, great fun, practicle, fast, lots of room...

I just wish it was white.

I think the Red looks far nicer tbh.

• Advertisement

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Is the DSG that good ?

How exactly does it operate. I know that you get the option of both having fully automatic and sequential using the gear stick.

I certainly wouldn't consider an automatic with a torque converter but having the sequential option would be nice.

How much should I be willing to spend on a 2005 model with relatively low milage. (Under 30,000)

All the info you need..

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/dual-clutch-transmission.htm

You wrote: »

Ah yeah. From videos I've seen, in sequential mode, you have the option of using the gearstick or the paddles behind the steering wheel to change gears. I also like the fact that you get D and S (Sportsmode) to decide at what rev level to change gear. I thought it was a bit odd that VW just didn't give you completely control on the ferocity of the upshifts.

I see parkers.co.uk give the GTi a fuel consumption of 35mpg. Can this be right ? I mean the standard Golf doesn't do much more than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

tvr wrote: »
    theres a new golf coming along very soon check autoblog for final testing, so wont be a facelift as the new model will be brand new so might effect residuals.

Yeah defo the big wheels are a must , i'd also opt for leather plus dsg if the budget permits.

I'm considering a 07ish GTI myself. I'd go for the 17'' wheels though - more supple ride/road-holding and less likely to burst tyres on the potholes around my parts.

DSG wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me I think but I haven't driven yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I think its fair to say we would all prefer this gti.

6.0 litre twin turbo Beast

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Ah yeah. From videos I've seen, in sequential mode, you have the option of using the gearstick or the paddles behind the steering wheel to change gears. I also like the fact that you get D and S (Sportsmode) to decide at what rev level to change gear. I thought it was a bit odd that VW just didn't give you completely control on the ferocity of the upshifts.

I see parkers.co.uk give the GTi a fuel consumption of 35mpg. Can this be right ? I mean the standard Golf doesn't do much more than that.

My On-board computer returns 8.5L/100Km (33 MPG) which is an Urban/Motorway combo, 10-12L/100Km (23-28 MPG) on a Urban Cycle....... This is with the DSG box which is suppose to be more economical.... Not driving her like she's stolen obviously:D:D:D Drive it hard and you'll be getting 24L/100Km (12 MPG)......ALOT of fun though:D:D:D:D:D

I think its fair to say we would all prefer this gti.

6.0 litre twin turbo Beast
    Naa I'd pic a real GTI over that ugly looking thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

:D:Dlol

"cheap to run as long as you dont do high milage and insurance isnt a issue"

thats some statement:D

a 65 shelby fastback is easy on the petrol.......if you dont drive it:D:D:D

kona wrote: »
    :D:Dlol

"cheap to run as long as you dont do high milage and insurance isnt a issue"

thats some statement:D

a 65 shelby fastback is easy on the petrol.......if you dont drive it:D:D:D

Yea, I'd like to find out what insurance company that was..... mine frightened the sh**e outta me....... didn't stop me getting one though... Just drinking more petrol now than Guinness:mad:

• Advertisement

Talking of Insurance I might still ring. :eek:

Advertisement