Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTi

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

Niall1234 wrote: »
    Talking of Insurance I might still ring. :eek:

Anyone like to guess how much it would potentially cost a 25 year old to insure one with only 2 years driving expierience. Clean record with no penalty points. Car value 27,000

Would it be within €3k even ? Would I be laughed out of it on the phone ?

Anyone ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

€1200?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

I'd say an insurance company would be able to guess closest to the amount you are likely to pay.

fletch wrote: »
    I'd say an insurance company would be able to guess closest to the amount you are likely to pay.

Quinn Direct wouldn't quote me saying that I'd need to be 30 before they'd take me on.

I always thought Insurance companies had to at least give you quote, although it could be as high as they want ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Quinn Direct wouldn't quote me saying that I'd need to be 30 before they'd take me on.

I always thought Insurance companies had to at least give you quote, although it could be as high as they want ?

Sh1t!! Im 22 and I (was) planning to get a mark v gti in a few months.

Have you driven before with Quinn, have you any no claims??

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    Sh1t!! Im 22 and I (was) planning to get a mark v gti in a few months.

Have you driven before with Quinn, have you any no claims??

Insurance with Quinn at the moment on a 1.4 Mark IV Golf.

2 years no claims bonus, all on my own insurance and car. Full licence for just over a year

I'll prob try Hibernian tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

Insurance can be rough on the GTI.
    I'm 32 and my insurance doubled from a 2.0TDi of similar value.:mad::mad:
    AA Insurance told me there's a 200% mark-up on the GTI, whatever that means:confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭daedalus2097

You wrote: »
    Insurance can be rough on the GTI.
    I'm 32 and my insurance doubled from a 2.0TDi of similar value.:mad::mad:
    AA Insurance told me there's a 200% mark-up on the GTI, whatever that means:confused::confused:

It means anything with "GTi" on the badge gets screwed basically... I'd love a Mk. 5 but couldn't get quoted by my current insurer (Quinn), by FBD, by Axa, Hibernian or Eagle Star. Stopped looking about then... I'm 26 with 2 years' NCB. When I was getting my own Mk. 3 I was ringing for quotes, even then with only 75% of the power of the Mk. 5 and 10% of the value some people wouldn't quote me, yet they'd quote me on an Audi A4 Sport with the same power output, and would quote me a good bit cheaper than the GTi if they did quote on the Golf. Meh, I wanted the Golf anyway, so there ya go ;)

Doesn't sound good. I'll try a few other places tomorrow. Had my heart set on one.

Seriously though, I thought that Insurance companies had to quote you a price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Just bought a 1.4 golf gt sport 170bhp. Insurance is 1570 euro fully comp. Full license held less than a year male aged 21. Check one out and you may change your mind. My gf's sister's boyfriend just bought his 07 gti today too in same colour so they were parked next to each other. Both have plenty of poke. You won't be disappointed with the GT though. Could be a decent compromise. Insured with Hibernian. And yes I checked a few times to make sure its marked down as the 170bhp model, have it in writing too.

su_dios wrote: »
    Just bought a 1.4 golf gt sport 170bhp. Insurance is 1570 euro fully comp. Full license held less than a year male aged 21. Check one out and you may change your mind. My gf's sister's boyfriend just bought his 07 gti today too in same colour so they were parked next to each other. Both have plenty of poke. You won't be disappointed with the GT though. Could be a decent compromise. AFAIK Hibernian are insuring it based on cubic capacity rather than bhp. And yes I checked a few times to make sure its marked down as the 170bhp model, have it in writing too.

Didn't know that. Might make a move there. A CPU remap would bring that up to 200 bhp fairly fast.

Just bought a 1.4 golf gt sport 170bhp. Insurance is 1570 euro fully comp. Full license held less than a year male aged 21. Check one out and you may change your mind. My gf's sister's boyfriend just bought his 07 gti today too in same colour so they were parked next to each other. Both have plenty of poke. You won't be disappointed with the GT though. Could be a decent compromise. AFAIK Hibernian are it based on cubic capacity rather than bhp. And yes I checked a few times to make sure its marked down as the 170bhp model, have it in writing too.

Agree, have driven the gt, nice bit if kit and fast too. Still, had my heart set on the gti:(

Know what you're saying lads. Its a nice car. So is the GT though. Not too many differences really though. Also yeah you could remap easily but with the power thats in this I doubt you'll need it. Tops out at 240km/h and does 0-100 in 7.9seconds. Gti isn't all that faster really. Save some money too.

Just an option for you guys though of course if the GTI proves not to be an option.:rolleyes:

Couldnt get an online quote from any of the major insurers so I tried 123.ie for kicks. Put in all my details in respect of fully comp for a gti and it came up with a quote of 4k. I then looked for a quote for a gt and got 4k again. Becoming a little suspicious i then looked for a quote for a 02 focus and it came up with 3600, just a tad on the expensive side i think you'll agree. Finally i looked for a quote for a 08 997 Turbo, value 215k. It returned a price of only 6k full comp - not bad at all!

Is this usual behavior for 123.ie, i had never used it prior to this occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Can anyone tell me, please, does the GTI with DSG pull off quickly from a standing start? IE can you pull out quickly and smoothly into a space on a roundabout from being stopped?
    Or does it need to get up to turbo revs before it starts "moving" ?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

...AFAIK Hibernian are insuring it based on cubic capacity rather than bhp....

Possibly, and it would be a serious error if they are doing so. 170bhp car being treated as a 75bhp car. If they are doing so, and cop on to it (the mention of which on a high profile website may alert them btw) then next years renewals may come as a bit of a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

Can anyone tell me, please, does the GTI with DSG pull off quickly from a standing start? IE can you pull out quickly and smoothly into a space on a roundabout from being stopped?
    Or does it need to get up to turbo revs before it starts "moving" ?

the GTi DSG will move at any revs, it has plenty of power even at 1500rpm .. depending on your driving style you can leap off the line and slam on the breaks to get the spot on the roundabout or you can drive normally and take up your position ... a gear box and powerful engine does not turn it in to a missile .. even F1 cars can be driven fairly normal !!

Possibly, and it would be a serious error if they are doing so. 170bhp car being treated as a 75bhp car. If they are doing so, and cop on to it (the mention of which on a high profile website may alert them btw) then next years renewals may come as a bit of a shock.

Cheers for that. Edited in the above post. I'm not complaining. That in itself could turn into a debate so I'll stay away from it on this thread.

DSG owners: Does the DSG model have a form of launch control?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

whippet wrote: »
    the GTi DSG will move at any revs, it has plenty of power even at 1500rpm .. depending on your driving style you can leap off the line and slam on the breaks to get the spot on the roundabout or you can drive normally and take up your position ... a gear box and powerful engine does not turn it in to a missile .. even F1 cars can be driven fairly normal !!

Thanks! That is what I'm wondering about - can it "leap off the line"? The reason I ask is that my experience with other turbo automatics (diesel X5) is that they are quite slow off the line until the turbo kicks in and then it takes a sudden leap forward. Its difficult to pull forward quickly, smoothly and safely into traffic on a roundabout or from a side road. I appreciate the GTi has plenty of power at 1500rpm. I'm more concerned about how much useable power it has from tickover to 1500 rpm

Does anyone else have any opinions on how the GTI moves off the line? (I suppose a test drive would be in order)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭PhoenixRising

ronoc wrote: »
    DSG owners: Does the DSG model have a form of launch control?

Yep.

Left Foot on brake.
    Shifter to Sport (S)
    ESP to Off
    Right foot on accelerator and rev to 2400-3000rpm (electronically limited to 3000rpm)

Left foot off brake and hold on!;)

Here's a video.

Thanks! That is what I'm wondering about - can it "leap off the line"? The reason I ask is that my experience with other turbo automatics (diesel X5) is that they are quite slow off the line until the turbo kicks in and then it takes a sudden leap forward. Its difficult to pull forward quickly, smoothly and safely into traffic on a roundabout or from a side road. I appreciate the GTi has plenty of power at 1500rpm. I'm more concerned about how much useable power it has from tickover to 1500 rpm

Does anyone else have any opinions on how the GTI moves off the line? (I suppose a test drive would be in order)

The DSG is better than the manual in my opinion for exploiting gaps in traffic like you're talking about. No faffing around with gears or clutches, just plant it and you're gone.

Just wondering has anyone of the mid 20's people here had any luck getting a GTi quote. I got one off of quote-line except it has a €4000 excess on it.

Quote was only €1200 though. Dunno would I even trust that crowd though.

Just wondering has anyone of the mid 20's people here had any luck getting a GTi quote. I got one off of quote-line except it has a €4000 excess on it.

Quote was only €1200 though. Dunno would I even trust that crowd though.

26, full licence 8 yrs, 3 years NCB, no accidents/claims.

€1018, with Hibernian (through a broker)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

I've being driving Turbo Diesels (Manuals) before and there are significant turbo lag assosicated with all turbo diesels. I,ve had my GTI for a few months now and still have no idea at what revs the turbo kicks in. The acceleration is smooth and constant........ i.e. you'll give up before the car will:D:D

26, full licence 8 yrs, 3 years NCB, no accidents/claims.

€1018, with Hibernian (through a broker)

Are the insurance companies more likely to quote through a broker. My prob is that I've only had the full licence for a year now and 2 years NCB in total. I must try Hibernian tomorrow. Hopefully they will quote me something unlike Quinn. I'd be willing to go as high as 2k.

Are the insurance companies more likely to quote through a broker.

Don't know, but my broker saved me €200.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭klaus23

I've driven all the Golf GTi's (with the exception of the MkIV 1.8T - only drove the 2.0 115bhp which afaik was UK only). Discounting the Mk3s because they are slightly disappointing, the Mk5 is a good car... but... it misses the point somehow. While it somehow manages to tick all of the boxes it's still, well, not a proper hot hatch. It doesn't scream. It's not urgent. It's definitely not chuckable and it certainly costs far too much.

I'd go for either a Clio 192 or a Civic Type R, far more fun and slightly less costly. Or, you could touch up your bank manager and buy an R32 which, in fairness, might cost an arm and a leg, but will move you cross-country quicker and effortlessly.

Greatest of them all? The Mk2 16v. In red. With a rebuilt engine. And 164bhp. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Hello All,

We have a 06' GTI DSG and Love It! Its my wife's car but I drive it every now and then (As much as possible) - will be getting it full time this summer as we are getting an S Max (Family car with space to chuck everything into) and my Volvo S60 is going. GTI is a fantastic car and you just will not be dissappointed. As mentioned it just takes off from any speed. I take point re Clio and Type R, or maybe the Focus ST; but the all round package of the GTI is tops - we now have two young kids and have 2 isofix seats and two prams in boot, and still room for us too:). Way more space than Volvo.

There is little difference in going up to the R32 as you will spend more at the pumps, the road tax is at present €1300 plus and there is not a massive performance difference. Road holding will be better from 4 wheel drive and purr will be sweeter but having weighed all up I wanted the GTI - plus for us the boot space is smaller because of rear drive on the R32, and that was a considering factor too.

All in all it is a great car and will always be the real thing:D

Paddy

Advertisement