Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf GTi

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

have you considered the Octavia Vrs as a cheaper alternative to the GTI? same engine and 200bhp but you also get a boot!!

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=905162

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

The vRS is certainly a bargain at around 32500euro.Metallic paint, leather sports seats,climate control are all completely standard too.I've driven the car and it can certainly shift.Good in the corners too.the only real downside is that DSG is not available in it at the mo.I'd would also consider a fast seat leon.

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=782978

That CUPRA model would keep up with an R32 fairly easily.It may not look brilliant in those photos but trust me it looks a lot better in the flesh.Seat also offer the leon with the GTI engine, DSG available as an option.Good value too no matter what engine chosen

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭geezer1234

Went to have a look at this GTI yesterday.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/GTI-16V/908557/

The ad says it has climate control - forgot to ask the dealer about it. Can anyone tell if it has it from the pics ?

Also all four alloys were kerbed. Anyone know how much approx to put this right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭fletch

geezer1234 wrote: »

The ad says it has climate control - forgot to ask the dealer about it. Can anyone tell if it has it from the pics ?

Also all four alloys were kerbed. Anyone know how much approx to put this right ?
    Looks more like climatronic to me.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

fletch wrote: »
    Looks more like climatronic to me.....

From the pics that car definitely doesn't have climate control - check the brochure online to see what it looks like

Looks like it has nothing - maybe basic air con if anything (which became standard around Sept 06 on all golfs)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

From what I heard before it would be very hard to fix those alloys as they're polished. Also learned they're hallow to.. filled with some stuff to make them ultra light?

thanks for that. Pity because its a great drive. The state of the wheels is spoiling it though. Still might be a good excuse to get a few more quid off it.

very interesting. The mazdas are a bit out of my price bracket though. I'd imagine the road tax on the 2.3 would make my eyes water as well. Still I would say they would be bulletproof cars. Have a Mazda 323 at the moment and not one problem in 10 years.

I've considered the seat leon and skoda octavia vrs as well but I think the styling on the golf is just right - sporty but not in yer face. I was so impressed with the way it drove - comfortable and quiet at normal speeds but then a huge kick and lovely growl when you put the boot down. Then again compared to what I'm driving at the moment I was bound to be impressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Although I do like the look of the GTi`s they arent my cup of tea. How about the following? The first one is a Proper hot hatch, the second is fairly similar but has the added advantage of 4wd.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda3/MPS-260/803016/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Mazda/Mazda6/MPS-260BHP/803017/

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Renault/Clio/renault-sport/956707/

A Mazda is NO WAY in competition with VW.I have a gti and would never ever buy a mazda as a alternative.I think most people who have a gti would agree.

drdre do you mind me asking if your gti came with air con or climate control as standard ? Also have you had any problems with it. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

The car deffo doesn't have climate control as others have said. Although if I squint hard enough, it does look like its got the ordinary manual aircon! If it has aircon, one of the 3 buttons above the 3 rotary heater controls should have "ECON" written on it.

Looks like the alloys on it are the standard 17's. These can be repaired alright. Its the 18's with the polished/diamond-cut finish that are a bugger to fix.

PS - I have climate control in my GTI. No problems whatsoever. Its a great feature. Its not standard on any GTI, if fitted, it was added as an optional extra by its original owner. New GTI's today come with manual aircon, climate is roughly €700 extra on a new GTI.

There are plenty of 2nd hand GTI's around now, so I would keep searching if I were you... rough kerb marks on all 4 alloys would tell me it didn't have much love from its first owner!

It has 17 inch wheels. I was thinking it did not have climate all right. Thats great info thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭T J Hooker

Just wondering has anyone of the mid 20's people here had any luck getting a GTi quote. I got one off of quote-line except it has a €4000 excess on it.

Quote was only €1200 though. Dunno would I even trust that crowd though.

"Britton Insurance is pleased to offer a Premium of €1,861.46(Policy Excess: €300.00)."

24yrs old, 2 yrs NCB, full license. That quotes on a 2008 GTi DSG.

www.brittoninsurance.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭su_dios

Place called alloy-wheels out in rosemount are doing replica gti alloys or r32 alloys for a great price including tyres. You could always just change the alloys although the replicas won't have the same technology the gti alloys have. You could state your concern bout the alloys and then ask for a discount on the car and a discount on new alloys and see how much you'll have to pay for new alloys. Gti or r32 ones.. OR you could go for the BBS gti 30th edition style ones which will make it stand out and look awesome too!

vw_golfgti2007_013.jpg

Thinking they look better with the bbs caps though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,863 ✭✭✭omega man

drdre wrote: »
    A Mazda is NO WAY in competition with VW.I have a gti and would never ever buy a mazda as a alternative.I think most people who have a gti would agree.

Man you have some high opinion of VW! I went to a Mazda 3 MPS from a BMW and havent looked back. Mazda have the MPS and RX series cars which demonstrate their abilty to make decent performance cars and combined with their reliabilty record makes your comment look a bit ignorant in fairness. The MKV GTI is a good car but far too common on the roads for my taste. Apart from the MPS I would have an ST, Cupra or even an OPC before a GTI any day of the week.

I was looking at another GTi on carzone which has been remapped to give 240 BHP by superchips ireland. Should I be wary of this ? eg. is there likely to be premature engine wear, failures etc down the line.

drdre do you mind me asking if your gti came with air con or climate control as standard ? Also have you had any problems with it. Cheers.

I have had no problems at all with the car, Also it comes with std air con as far as i know.I have it in mine but dont get to use it much.

T J Hooker wrote: »
    "Britton Insurance is pleased to offer a Premium of €1,861.46(Policy Excess: €300.00)."

24yrs old, 2 yrs NCB, full license. That quotes on a 2008 GTi DSG.

www.brittoninsurance.com
    Im same age and my insurance on the gti fully comp is only 1000. Thats why i bought the car as i thought the insurance was good value and this is the age to enjoy a car like that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

drdre wrote: »
    Im same age and my insurance on the gti fully comp is only 1000. Thats why i bought the car as i thought the insurance was good value and this is the age to enjoy a car like that :)

Something's not right there if you are on a GTI for a grand at your age. :confused:

MarkN wrote: »
    Something's not right there if you are on a GTI for a grand at your age. :confused:

Yep, I have the insurance policy since October since i have had the car.Its a 07, Im actually 23 just turning 24 soon, have 4 years no claims bonus(thank god) and unfortunately 4 penalty points and its fully comp with Hibernian.I was so happy when i heard the insurance that i went out to get the Gti, Now looking at getting a 3 series coupe very soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement