Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Equine studies in business

• 23-01-2008 7:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hello
    is there anyone who doin the course and how did you find it. I'm thinkin doin this course this year.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

Hi!

I'm doin d equine business course in maynooth, am liking it so far! its tough to judge it on one semester but I'll give ya an idea of wat we'r doin so far!
    -Intro to equine industry (talks from guest speakers-some better than others!)
    -Business Management
    -Intro to Finance (Accounting)
    -Economics
    -Data analysis for economists

As you can see we'r doing mainly business stuff and we're mixed with other courses for all but the equine module. most of us have never done accounting or economics before so dont worry if you havnt. We've 2 hours of the equine bit a week and do about 15 hrs a week in total, tink a bit less this semester though! We'v gone on a few trips aswell to the likes of Goffs, Troytown, Kill Equestrian and a racing yard.

What side of the industry are you into? We do a mix of everything so its good to be into it all although i'm more the sport horse side as opposed to racing!

Overall id say the course is worth doing, although it is aimed at the business side of things so if you're looking to work hands on with horses day to day then maybe consider courses in the likes of limerick etc although i don't know much bout them! If you'd like to work in the management type jobs then this could be a good one for you!

Let me know if you'v any more questions! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Miss Tequila

oh thats great, very interesting!!

well was in DBS, was suppose to study accounting but it was too much information, so i like horses very much. so i'll thinkin bout it and see if the course does suit me! do you get work expereince in the summer? www.yardandgroom.com is brilliant! any industry suit me, i like stud farm! thanks for a information!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 alexi_mcg

no problem-hope what i told ya helps you decide! yeah we do work experience for 10 weeks in d summer, it wont be workin in yards as in mucking out/riding etc it'l be more office jobs as far as I know-we're not sure what we'll get tho. the college arranges it i think!

good luck anyway wit wateva ya end up doin!

Advertisement