Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mushrooms, garlic, and onions o my

• 23-01-2008 7:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

I was out for a day of drawing round the food market in temple bar last saturday when I decided to take a break and get something to eat. I spotted a veggie stall in one corner and went over to see what the options were. It was mainly curry and other indian foods and a sign read the usual - no meat, eggs, diary, etc but then at the end it said no mushrooms, garlic or onions.

I was wondering out loud why those three were listed and someone in the queue behind me answered it was because mushrooms are a fungus and garlic and onions are stimulants. I'd never heard this before and I've been veggie for nearly 15 years now.

Anyone on here no eat mushrooms for this reason? I always thought that mushrooms were a fruit as the fungus part is actually below the ground.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Never heard of this before. Seems a bit far fetched to me. Did they say why they don't eat fungus and 'stimulants'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Nature Boy wrote: »
    Never heard of this before. Seems a bit far fetched to me. Did they say why they don't eat fungus and 'stimulants'?

stimulants he just said was cus they would mess up meditation which I figured was fair enough, but with the mushrooms he just said its cus they were a fungus and didn't elaborate any further. Would liked to have asked more but it was raining and we were standing outside.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Some peopledon't eat these things as they believe they harm your mental state or something.
    Meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Hi,
    The stall 'Karuna's Kitchen' is run by Hindu staff (Hare Krishna possibly).

They practice the idea of "pure vegetarianism", or Sattvic diet, which discourages eating substances that are thought to either inflame (rajasic) or dull (tamasic) the senses, thus interfering with leading a spiritual life.

Garlic and onions are considered rajasic, and mushrooms and alcohol are considered tamasic. I'm not sure about meat as it seemed to be classified as either rajasic or tamasic depending on the source. (One says fresh meat is rajasic and aged meat is tamasic)

More info, "What is SATVIC diet?"

and

"...The gunas are three fundamental attributes that represent the natural evolutionary process through which the subtle becomes gross.

...Thus the three gunas are defined as :

Sattva : Essence (subtle)
    Rajas : Activity
    Tamas : Inertia (gross) ..."

The 3 Gunas in Ayurveda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Nature Boy

Do Govinda's practice this? I don't think I've ever seen mushrooms or onions in their food...

• Advertisement

Yep, Very much so!

(I was in a veggie place called "Govindas" in Barcelona before, they had onions on their pizza... think they were a renegade splinter group though!!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, i've heared about this before. i've also heard how that because mushrooms are grown in dark places, this isn't good for your aura or chakras or something anyway. i suppose that onions and garlic as stimulants i can understand, but i use onion as a base for everything i cook; couldn't imagine going without them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Yep, stimulant + grows at night = bad karma

The substitute is hing or Asafoetida - a v weird spice, smells vile.

The onions on pizza is probably renegade as mentioned. Iirc the Hares had a split in Ireland about a decade ago in relation to strictness. I don't know the current situation (will ask next time I'm in Gov's)

Yeah I don't think it really makes sense saying that all hot/spicy food should never be eaten, for example.

There was an interesting article recently on onions cutting heart disease.

Also I think the asafoetida replacement thing is a bit weird, because it's fairrrrly pungent itself! really! But it does give a nice flavour, in moderation.

I think maybe the intention is more towards not getting addicted to certain types of food, because they have drug like effects. It seems more understandable in that sense.

I knew I wasn't getting anywhere with the hot hari krisnahs and there are many, when I heard about the procreational sex chanting thing. Now I'm defintely doomed.

I used to converse alot with one who used to have a food stall above Eyre Square. He always gave me the impression he put "Herbs" in his cookies for retreat use.

I'm confused now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

The bald guy? :-)

Aren't most Hare Krishna's baldly? Its a vegan food stall. I doubt there are more than one. :D

Is he still there?

Nah, vegetarian stand for Govindas I was thinking of. The food there is far nicer than in their restaurants in Dublin. Just bought Matar Paneer and Samosas/tomato chutney there. Mmm.

Nah, vegetarian stand for Govindas I was thinking of. The food there is far nicer than in their restaurants in Dublin. Just bought Matar Paneer and Samosas/tomato chutney there. Mmm.

Maybe it is the same place....I remember the conversation more so than the food.

I love muttar paneer. Yum.

Where is this stand anyway? I'm in Galway for Paddies I must look it up.

The market on Saturdays and sundays, down by the church at the bottom of 'shop st'(every street within a mile seems to be called shop st).
    Opposite the cheese mongers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭Mentalmiss

I was never able to eat mushrooms. I tried very hard to like them but gave up around 1983. Some years later I heard that the DNA in mushrooms is nearer to animal than to veg so I was glad of my failure.
    I have not had reason to verify this as I never intend to eat a mushroom but I must google it.

I did not eat mushrooms up until a few weeks ago, I too did not have a love for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Soleilone

Peanut wrote: »

Also I think the asafoetida replacement thing is a bit weird, because it's fairrrrly pungent itself! really! But it does give a nice flavour, in moderation.

I think maybe the intention is more towards not getting addicted to certain types of food, because they have drug like effects. It seems more understandable in that sense.

Has anybody had any success in cooking with asafoetida? I agree with Peanut that it can add a nice soothing flavour, but when I tried using it the dish was almost inedible (and good squash was ruined)!

I tend to avoid onions, mushrooms, and garlic, though I'm not at all strict about it. I find that individual flavors and spices are more fragrant without these ingredients. Something else that makes me less interested in eating mushrooms are the high levels of exploitation in the mushroom industry in Ireland.

I think I tried using it in a dahl, I'm not sure but I think that's where I noticed the flavour before when eating out. If you get one of the little Govindas recipe books they should have lots of options there. Good luck :)

Advertisement