Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

postgrad questions

• 23-01-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to do a 1 year postgrad course in any subject matter as long as you have a hons degree in any area?

If some one has a chemistry science degree and then does a 1 year post grad in chemical engineering would that put that person on the same level as someone that did a straight hons degree in chemical engineering?

Comments

This is kinda the thing. There is no level of similarity for engineering, since most of the time it would come down to experience rather then qualifications. If you had a masters, or even a PhD and you were going for a job against someone in Chem who had more experience then you, then you could miss out.

The only other level I can think of is the National Framework of Qualifications, which gives me a great excuse to post this lovely picture again:

NFQ.jpg

With a masters, you'd be on level 9. So you'd be ahead when you compare qualifications, but as I said qualifications aren't the only thing taken into account.

But as for you being able to do any postgrad - yes, to the best of my knowledge. It will depend on your overall mark, and possibly on your marks from 1st - Final year. If you're going into a different area, I'd guess they try to assess whether you've any basic knowledge about the area you'd like to go into, and try to figure out why you're looking to jump careers!

Edit: Why not apply for a job in the area you're looking for in the first place? At the very least, they'll give you a bit of advice on getting into the sector.

Advertisement