Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What lights should be used during daylight hours?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭

what sort of headlights (if any) should be used during daylight hours (say 9am) by law?thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,072 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

As far as I'm aware, in bad visibility, dipped beams - and not parking lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

stainluss wrote: »
    what sort of headlights (if any) should be used during daylight hours (say 9am) by law?thanks!

None.

But if driving in reduced visabilty then dips are required. Parks are only for parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

I put the xenons on whenever I am in the car.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,102 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Del2005 wrote: »
    None.

But if driving in reduced visabilty then dips are required. Parks are only for parking.

Not quite correct. Lights on mean better visibility, even in daylight.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

MarkR wrote: »
    Not quite correct. Lights on mean better visibility, even in daylight.
    The OP specifically said "by law", and assuming it's daylight and good visibility then the answer to that is indeed "none". Whether it's advisable or not is a separate issue, and I'd agree with you that in that case, it's a good idea to have dips on at all times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is this a "Foglight" thread in disguise? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Well the OP asked what lights should be used, which doesn't correspond to putting by law in the sentence.

So therefore my answer is dipped beam headlights at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

What is the use of parked lights? how could they help parking? see how far away you are to the car in front?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I use Dipped Headlights at all times.

My car is dark green so prone to not being seen on the backroads if I don't have the lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

I always drive with my dipped beams on, can't see the point of parks tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Cionád wrote: »

My car is dark green so prone to not being seen on the backroads if I don't have the lights on.

Mines blue/silverish and nearly invisible in any form of drizzle, so also dips all the time.

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    What is the use of parked lights? how could they help parking? see how far away you are to the car in front?
    You're not serious, are you? They're for putting on when you're already parked to make you more visible, not to help you parking :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

is it against the law/ could i be blamed for a crash if i had dips on in normal visibility in daylight?would it matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

I let the car decide :D I always leave the auto lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Cionád wrote: »

Cionád if you have your lights on all the time, you're wasting energy and driving up the demand for oil which indirectly causes wars in the middle east and melts the ice caps etc.

But don't worry, you drive on by with your lights leaving a wave of destruction in your path! :D

BTW change your sig to CS-PG forever. 3rd year was a long time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I know it's the in thing around here, but I see no point in lights during the day (normal bright day i'm talking about here) in fact i find people's lights a lot more dazzling during the day. People go on about the likes of Volvos that come with permanant on lights but they are pretty much built for Scandanavian customers where they can experience days of darkness.

If your having trouble judgign distance/seeing other cars in perfect daylight, somthign is up and them having their lights on isnt going to help much.

Maybe people on here could better spend their energy explaining things like lane dicipline and use of indicators/fogs to their family members and increse driver awarness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    I put the xenons on whenever I am in the car.
    Is this to show everyone you have xenons? I notice quite a lot of this lately.. one tool in my area driving around with his xenons on and wearing sunglasses, the sunlight is that strong.

It hasn't been made law across the EU to drive with dips on because it wastes fuel. I saw a figure a few years ago of €60 per car a year, dunno how accurate that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

is it against the law/ could i be blamed for a crash if i had dips on in normal visibility in daylight?would it matter?

No, no, no.

"No", "No" and "not quite sure what you mean there".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

javaboy wrote: »
    Cionád if you have your lights on all the time, you're wasting energy and driving up the demand for oil which indirectly causes wars in the middle east and melts the ice caps etc.

But don't worry, you drive on by with your lights leaving a wave of destruction in your path! :D

BTW change your sig to CS-PG forever. 3rd year was a long time ago!

But i drive an economical diesel so im sure it balances out.

CSSE3 was an institution, a rite of passage, i'll never forget it.

CS-PG just gets me stressed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

I tend to drive with dipped beams ( normal headlights ) on all the time. It increases the visibility of the car to others in all sorts of circumstances like rain and drizzle, low winter sun,... . About parking lights, for exactly the same reason. Make your car more visible to others when parked in a dark spot ( we don't all live in bright lit cities and towns ).

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

I tend to drive with dipped beams ( normal headlights ) on all the time. It increases the visibility of the car to others in all sorts of circumstances like rain and drizzle, low winter sun,... . About parking lights, for exactly the same reason. Make your car more visible to others when parked in a dark spot ( we don't all live in bright lit cities and towns ).

Me too, the old motto comes to mind: be safe, be seen. I drive in or around 30k miles a year and wouldn't drive without properly focused dims on day or night.
    OP question has probably been answered I think, none, but I'm of the opinion its so much easier to see a car with lights on than without, especially given the tendancy of some modern colours to blend into the road or backround.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

by 2012, all cars will automatically have their lights come on when the car is started, no matter about the time of day, similar to most garda cars now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,455 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

what about if you have the engine running and don't want the lights on?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

timmywex wrote: »
    by 2012, all cars will automatically have their lights come on when the car is started, no matter about the time of day, similar to most garda cars now.

Another genius EU law that has no real world application:rolleyes:

WHY on earth do you need your lights on in the middle of the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭corkandproud

Dipped Headlights = reduction in collisions.

Proven repeatedly in studies across Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Hope that doesn't apply to Special Branch. It wouldn't be too good for stakeouts where you might want the engine running.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Dipped Headlights during day = waste of energy and additional CO2 output

Proven repeatedly in studies across Europe.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Jonnykitedude

I always drive with head lights on.

Isnt it the law to drive in the states with your lights on if you have your wipers on?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

proof?

Advertisement