Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What lights should be used during daylight hours?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

:D

Editing a quote to put in something you have no actual proof for and removing something which is proven doesn't make you look big and clever, it makes you look like an idiot. Proud?

The same kind of people who bitch about a POSSIBLE rise in CO2 emissions - depends on what power output the alternator is going to have *anyway* based on engine speed, etc; are generally the kind of people who bitch about diesel particulate output too I've found, impossible to please either way.

I'm leaving my dips on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

MYOB wrote: »
    Editing a quote to put in something you have no actual proof for and removing something which is proven doesn't make you look big and clever, it makes you look like an idiot. Proud?

Lighten up.

Anyway I think it's pretty much proven that turning on lights uses energy, enegry come from fossil fuels (in this case) QED

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

i always have my lights on whatever the conditions, but never thought they used fuel just battery, which is recharging as you drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

read my sig
    v
    v
    v

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

javaboy wrote: »
    Hope that doesn't apply to Special Branch. It wouldn't be too good for stakeouts where you might want the engine running.

lol! Thats where shapes cut from black bags and sellotape comes in handy! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I always drive with dipped headlights on, its much safer and in some countries like sweden its the law i believe.

However.. here by law.. no lights.. although it is suggested by the RSA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

patrickc wrote: »
    i always have my lights on whatever the conditions, but never thought they used fuel just battery, which is recharging as you drive
    .. and where do you think the energy comes from to recharge your battery?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Im also a biker and one of our golden unwritten rules (although I think its in recommended in the ROTR now) is that we live our dipped lights on all the time to improve our visibility to others. I do the same in the car.

Its mandatory in some countries. In italy its mandatory on all motorways.

What worries me though is the amount of people in ireland who think their parking lights ARE their dipped lights!!! As one woman said "they are the dipped lights, they're not as bright as the full lights". :eek:

If the stats for using extra juice is only €60 per year then thats barely a euro a week and money well spent!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

I'm no expert, but I'd imagine the difference in emissions with your lights off and with them on during the day would be tiny. I know, with every car in the world it'd make a difference, but with all the car manufactures going all eco friendly, it shouldn't be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Rein-in

I used to drive a lot for work, they sent us on an advanced driving course and one of the first things the instructor mentioned was to drive with your dipped beams on at all times. It may not help you to see, but it helps others to see you. I automatically switch the lights on now, no matter what time of day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭paulksnn

faceman wrote: »
    Im also a biker and one of our golden unwritten rules (although I think its in recommended in the ROTR now) is that we live our dipped lights on all the time to improve our visibility to others. I do the same in the car.

Its mandatory in some countries. In italy its mandatory on all motorways.

What worries me though is the amount of people in ireland who think their parking lights ARE their dipped lights!!! As one woman said "they are the dipped lights, they're not as bright as the full lights". :eek:

If the stats for using extra juice is only €60 per year then thats barely a euro a week and money well spent!
    I'm with you faceman.
    The number of people driving at dusk with parking lights on that think they're fully visible is ridiculous.
    As far as I remember though, it isn't covered in the test. Although I have my license about a decade now, so I'm not sure what the situation is with the theory test.
    Either way, it should be covered as part of the practical test, to show that a driver knows the difference between parking, dipped and full lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

paulksnn wrote: »
    Either way, it should be covered as part of the practical test, to show that a driver knows the difference between parking, dipped and full lights.
    I know, it's amazing how many people haven't a clue what these all are. I know one woman who refers to them as her 'little lights' and 'big lights' :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is this to show everyone you have xenons? I notice quite a lot of this lately.. one tool in my area driving around with his xenons on and wearing sunglasses, the sunlight is that strong.

This man speaks the truth, for I am such a tool ;)

I have bi xenon headlights which are always on when driving and regularly wear sunglasses (when the sun's out obviously).

Comes down to safety, the car can be seen and I can see out without squinting or reducing visibility with sun shade.

And oh yeah, it's a volvo, so the lights come on automatically :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

I also drive with my dipped headlights on irrespective of the weather. I can't get over the number of people who seem to think that lights are only for seeing with and not being seen and refuse to put them on when it is dusk or its raining.

If someone coming in the opposite direction is overtaking and you have your headlights on, you can be seen from almost twice the distance...

If you have your headlights on while driving around the city centre or a built up area, you are much more visible to other road users and pedestrians, helping distinguish you from parked cars and reducing the chances of you knocking somone down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I counted ten cars the other morning on a 20 minute drive.. with their front fog lights on and parking lights.
    Sorry to mention fogs.. but keep an eye out for it. Seems to be the newest and most fashionable lighting arrangement for gob****es..

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭richie_rvf

WHY on earth do you need your lights on in the middle of the day?

because it saves lives

richie_rvf wrote: »
    because it saves lives

IF this is true, surely then having all the street lights on during the day would have a similar effect. Do any of the countries that requires headlights to be on during the day insist that streetlights must be on also?

Somehow I doubt it, as it would be the state paying the bills for that power and i would say its cheaper for the state to let the accidents happen then leave the lights on, whereas if it's the motorists footing the bill for headlights, happy days from the state's point of view.

(Ford had something years ago in the U.S. didn't they and got busted for it. "Let the accidents happen, it'll be cheaper to pay for them than fix the cars." Similar mentality)

IF this is true, surely then having all the street lights on during the day would have a similar effect. Do any of the countries that requires headlights to be on during the day insist that streetlights must be on also?

Somehow I doubt it, as it would be the state paying the bills for that power and i would say its cheaper for the state to let the accidents happen then leave the lights on, whereas if it's the motorists footing the bill for headlights, happy days from the state's point of view.

(Ford had something years ago in the U.S. didn't they and got busted for it. "Let the accidents happen, it'll be cheaper to pay for them than fix the cars." Similar mentality)

That is one of the most ridiculous answers I have ever heard - how many time to you meet a street light driving on the road???

The point is about visibility of motorist - not illuminating the road

It is about being seen.

It is a well proven fact that driving with lights on greatly increases your visibility and it is also proven that countries that introduced a law to enforce the use of lights whist driving have had a dramatic decrease in the number of road deaths.

If you drive on any national route you can clearly notice the difference in when you see an oncoming car with lights on compared to one with lights out.

We all have a responsibility to try to prevent accidents where possible, driving with lights on is one method of preventing accidents.

We all know there are idiots out there who will take chance with overtaking, they may rethink if they see you coming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

What have street lights being on or off got to do with a car being more visible to other motorists during the day time?

As many, many other posters have pointed out, having your headlights on during the day makes you more visible to other motorists, it does not improve your visibility...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭blackbox

Its dipped headlamps all the time for me.

Even in bright sunlight they make the car more visible. This is especially true on country roads where trees can make deep shadow into which a dark-coloured car can disappear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

In Denmark you must have the dim lights on during the day by law.

Why not make all cars day-glow orange then?! That too will increase visability.:rolleyes:

If you need for a car to have its headlights on in the middle of the day to see it you need to get your eyes checked.

Why not make all cars day-glow orange then?! That too will increase visability.:rolleyes:

If you need for a car to have its headlights on in the middle of the day to see it you need to get your eyes checked.

Unfortunately not everyone out there has perfect vision.

Lights on saves lives - sorry if you don't understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    Is this to show everyone you have xenons?.

Couldn't give a flying fook who knows whether I have xenons or not. Had them in cars for the last 4 years, don't even think about them as xenons anymore - they're my lights, end of.

The reason I put them on is so I can be seen. You will get a lot less people pulling out in front of you from side roads when you have lights on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

The tests and statistics speak for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

richie_rvf wrote: »
    Unfortunately not everyone out there has perfect vision.

Lights on saves lives - sorry if you don't understand.

I will drive with my lights on when there is reduced visibility. I don't use them during clear weather as I think this will lead to vunerable road users getting hit more. Most accidents are caused by car driver inattention, if drivers are conditioned to look for 2 big bright lights then motorbikes, cyclist and peds will be in greater danger as car drivers won't be looking for smaller less visable objects. They will just have a quick look, see no lights and think I'm good to go and pull infront of anything without lights. My 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Del2005 wrote: »
    if drivers are conditioned to look for 2 big bright lights then motorbikes, cyclist and peds will be in greater danger as car drivers won't be looking for smaller less visable objects.

Yeah... I tend to leave my wipers off in the rain in case they ever break, then I will be used to looking through a windscreen that is covered with water and spray.;)

Anyone who thinks that turning your lights off is safer is very ill educated in driving. Its a no brainer, lights on daytime. Its proven to be safer.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

All I'll say is get out there on the roads, drive on a regular basis in all sorts of weather conditions and you will clearly see the benefits of driving with dipped beams on.

Dark coloured cars can be hard to see at dusk/twilight or when driving out of shadows. Silvery cars are hard to pick up when light showers are falling. Even in bright daytime conditions, it adds to the visibility.

I used to think that this was a daft idea until a few years ago. I thought that it was a waste, but in reality it's one of the simplest and most effective things that you can do to make driving safer. It doesn't take a genius to see that it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Vote for the most stupid post of the week anyone?

some cars.. like Volvo i believe have them come on by default.
    Even when i was in the US, the Grand AM pontiac i drove put them on automatically.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fairly honest appraisal study done here:
    http://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/FS_DRL.pdf

Advertisement