Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What lights should be used during daylight hours?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lightening wrote: »
    Yeah... I tend to leave my wipers off in the rain in case they ever break, then I will be used to looking through a windscreen that is covered with water and spray.;)

Where did I say that I leave my wipers off or don't use lights in the rain?Editing posts to make a smart comment has already commented and is stupid.
    Anyone who thinks that turning your lights off is safer is very ill educated in driving. Its a no brainer, lights on daytime. Its proven to be safer.

I may be safer, but I feel a lot of car drivers don't pay enough attention to their surroundings now. So if they become conditioned to look for light then the vunerable road users will suffer. The vast majority or motorbike accidents are caused by cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

MarkN wrote: »
    Couldn't give a flying fook who knows whether I have xenons or not.
    Really? Cos the first thing you did on this thread was told us all you have xenons.

Dyflin wrote: »
    Fairly honest appraisal study done here:
    http://www.swov.nl/rapport/Factsheets/FS_DRL.pdf
    Interesting in that their recommendation is for energy saving daytime running lamps to be fitted to new cars only.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

Del2005 wrote: »
    Editing posts to make a smart comment has already commented and is stupid.

I didn't edit any posts.

I may be safer, but I feel a lot of car drivers don't pay enough attention to their surroundings now....

So you admit its safer, but choose not to do it for the good of others... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

JHMEG wrote: »
    Really? Cos the first thing you did on this thread was told us all you have xenons.

:D

• Advertisement

lightening wrote: »
    So you admit its safer, but choose not to do it for the good of others... :rolleyes:

Yes, I'm in a car with crumple zones, airbags, ABS. Motorcycles, cyclists and peds don't have any of these. If I crash because someones eyesight is so bad they can't see a CAR I've a good chance of living. If the person who can't see a CAR hits a more vunerable road user they will more then likely die or have serious injuries.
    TBH if someone crashes into me a bight clear day they have more issues then not seeing lights!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Yes, I'm in a car with crumple zones, airbags, ABS. Motorcycles, cyclists and peds don't have any of these. If I crash because someones eyesight is so bad they can't see a CAR I've a good chance of living. If the person who can't see a CAR hits a more vunerable road user they will more then likely die or have serious injuries.
    TBH if someone crashes into me a bight clear day they have more issues then not seeing lights!

You are in a car with all the safety features.
    A pedestrian does not have these.
    Dips even in daylight make a car more visible.

So an airbag-less pedestrian is
    a) more likely to get killed because a car is visible from further away
    or
    b) less likely to be killed because a car is visible from further away.

Answers on a postcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Saruman wrote: »
    some cars.. like Volvo i believe have them come on by default.
    lly.

Swedish cars built for Scandanavian climates and days of darkness in winter/shorter days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG you've an awful lot of anger built up in that body of yours do you know that. Deep breaths.

Quit nitpicking and go talk about Hondas or something will ya. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

So as long as you're ok that's all that matters?

The idea of having your lights on is to make you more visible to more vulnerable road users, for example an elderly pedestrian with less than average eye sight. But sure as long as your ok...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,506 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

...DRL studies in the 1990s indicated reductions of 10-15% (Elvik, 1996) and 8-22% (Koornstra, 1993) in the numbers of daytime crashes in which two or more road users were involved....

If it really gave a ~15-20% reduction in accidents it would have been made law years ago across the EU, surely?

It would be a much more effective way of reducing accidents than campaigns droning on and on about reducing speed and yet it hasn't been brought in...

And even when the EU finally bring it in for new cars (2012 from earlier post) it won’t be mandatory for current or old cars, why? Probably because they’ve looked at the data and realised it’s not worth the hassle and expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Kiya

im sick & tired of the people living near me who drive like maniacs with their parking lights on at night & generally with only the 1 light working, dangerous for me never mind pedestrians or kids on the estate. :mad:

i was driving home & there was one particular woman, stopped right on the bend, (very narrow road & you dont see the car til you are practically on top of them) talking on her moby!! & with only 1 light working.
    so i slowed down, (dont worry, there was nothing behind me :)) rolled down my window & told her she that one of her lights was broken.
    i got an earful of abuse for my time in broken english.
    mind you, the curses i could understand perfectly.

i was almost pleased to see her a week later with her car all crumpled.
    i just hoped nobody had been hurt because of her stupidity. :cool:

MarkN wrote: »
    JHMEG you've an awful lot of anger built up in that body of yours do you know that. Deep breaths.

Quit nitpicking and go talk about Hondas or something will ya. :confused:
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,195 ✭✭✭MarkN

JHMEG wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Yeh, ridiculous isn't it. A bit like you saying I am trying show off in some way by using the word xenons. Seriously, give it a rest will you. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

On a mildly important side-note, if you are all going to use your dipped headlamps in the middle of the day, point them at the ground if you have the switch for it.

Otherwise, get the f**king things leveled at a garage before you drive with them on all day. Maybe this will stop all those morons with off level headlamps shining into my rear view cutting my eyes out.

javaboy wrote: »
    You are in a car with all the safety features.
    A pedestrian does not have these.
    Dips even in daylight make a car more visible.

So an airbag-less pedestrian is
    a) more likely to get killed because a car is visible from further away
    or
    b) less likely to be killed because a car is visible from further away.

Answers on a postcard.

Pedestrians hitting cars very rarely hurt anyone. But when a car hits a pedestrian its a different story. People are saying that when trees overhang the road using DRLs makes you more visable. What if a ped is walking down this section of road? If a car driver can'd see a car without DRLs the pedestrain if fcuked.
    High&Low wrote: »
    So as long as you're ok that's all that matters?

The idea of having your lights on is to make you more visible to more vulnerable road users, for example an elderly pedestrian with less than average eye sight. But sure as long as your ok...

What if this elderly person is crossing a road. If people can't see a car how will they see them.

And what about the motorcyclists, who usually all use DRL's now. Some moron in a car pulling out of a junction has a quick look see no lights and goes for it. Biker t-bones car and ends up on road in bits or dead.

People don't pay enough attention on the road as it is. By driving with DRLs you are regconizing they don't pay attetion and instead of taking them off the road you are making it easier for them not to pay attention

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Some moron in a car pulling out of a junction has a quick look see no lights and goes for it.

Why would you be looking for lights in the day? Anyone who glances and assumes that no lights = no cars, even at night is a danger how often do you have to flash at someone who forgets to put their lights on at night?. Look properly when your pulling out.

People don't pay enough attention on the road as it is. By driving with DRLs you are regconizing they don't pay attetion and instead of taking them off the road you are making it easier for them not to pay attention

You could educate them properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

By this logic we should make it harder to see each other so people will learn how to pay attention more.

I have had two cars pull out in front of me (one of which required an emergency brake from me to avoid collision), both occurred before I decided to use DRLs. Since using DRLs I have found people are less aggressive in trying to get in front of me, see me quicker and I feel safer as a result.

Yeah the idea that people will assume no lights=no hazards is ridiculous.

Only the people who think "I have ABS/airbags so I can go faster now" will be that complacent. And they're already dangerous.

Cionád wrote: »
    By this logic we should make it harder to see each other so people will learn how to pay attention more.

Could be on to something here. I think them dar pedestrians have been having it too easy for too long what with all yer fancy reflectors and newfangled lights and footpaths.

I propose bullbars and infra red systems for all cars so the driver can see where they're going but no lights visible to the peds. Sure a few lives will be lost at first. But they'll quickly learn their lesson.

Ooooh and when electric cars get going, we can creep up on them! That'll teach the buggers to use our God given roads.

• Advertisement

Stekelly wrote: »
    Why would you be looking for lights in the day? Anyone who glances and assumes that no lights = no cars, even at night is a danger how often do you have to flash at someone who forgets to put their lights on at night?. Look properly when your pulling out.
    QUOTE]

My point exactly. People are pulling out of junctions now and hitting bikes with lights on during the day so if everyone was using their lights then motorbikes, bicycles and peds would disappear as people will asume if they don't see lights then no cars are coming.

... if everyone was using their lights then motorbikes, bicycles and peds would disappear as people will asume if they don't see lights then no cars are coming.

I wouldn't assume anything. Anyone who assumes anything on the roads is already a danger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

stainluss wrote: »
    is it against the law/ could i be blamed for a crash if i had dips on in normal visibility in daylight?would it matter?

No you could not be blamed, just for having your lights on. There was a road safety ad on TV years ago for motor bikes, went something like, be safe be seen, use you lights at all times. Same applys to cars when you think about it. Next time you see a line of traffic coming towards you, see how easier it will be to see any of the cars with lights on. Volvo's had daylight running lights on them years age that came on automatically with the ignition.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

My point exactly. People are pulling out of junctions now and hitting bikes with lights on during the day so if everyone was using their lights then motorbikes, bicycles and peds would disappear as people will asume if they don't see lights then no cars are coming.

You really have a very strange approach to this

You should not be "looking for lights" in the daytime - if you are, you're not safe to be on the roads, simple as. The point of having your DRLs/dips on is that there ARE unsafe drivers on the road, and they're more likely to notice you if you have your lights on. Even in full daylight I find people are less likely to try to come out of a side road in front of you if you have your dips on.

Also, in Ireland there's 4 months of the year where its barely bright enough *not* to have your dips on anyway legally, last week it doubt got dry/bright enough at all in Tallaght during the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Dr.Millah wrote: »
    What is the use of parked lights? how could they help parking? see how far away you are to the car in front?

City Boy!

Park on a country road some day and see why you need parking lights!

Advertisement