Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ensuite Extractor fan/venting query

Options
  • 23-01-2008 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

While in the attic the other day I see that our shower ensuite extractor fan is vented to a vent tile on the far end of the house via a flexi-pipe, a good 40 feet away from the fan. Am I right in thinking that this is no good, and the vent should be much nearer the extractor to do its job?

If this means adding a vent tile to the roof nearer the ensuite is this a big job?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

I'm not an expert, but short has to be better... but if it's not causing a problem I can't see any reason to change it.

Is the water vapour that is being extracted from the ensuite condensing in the 40" pipe and either lying there causing the pipe to sag, or dripping back ono the floor of the ensuite?

If it is, then you should probably change it, otherwise it'll damage the plasterboard in your ceiling around the extractor fan.

Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

While in the attic the other day I see that our shower ensuite extractor fan is vented to a vent tile on the far end of the house via a flexi-pipe, a good 40 feet away from the fan. Am I right in thinking that this is no good, and the vent should be much nearer the extractor to do its job?

If this means adding a vent tile to the roof nearer the ensuite is this a big job?

Cheers.

You probably have a axial fan. Axial fans can either be using a short length of ducting, into an exterior wall. Centrifugal extractor fans are often mounted into a ceiling, as these fans are able to overcome the air pressure resistance generated by long lengths of ducting. This might be a better option for you.

some things to note:the rate of air flow as the number of complete changes of air within the room per hour;
    Bathroom – 6-8 times per hour
    Bathroom with shower – 15-20 times per hour

Advertisement