Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kilkenny needs a cinema...

• 23-01-2008 7:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭

... for adults. The present one can keep operating as it is, for the kids.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The rubbish cinema in Kilkenny is a bugbear of mine. I've lost count of the films which I was hoping to see in Kilkenny that never made it here. Even Oscar nominated films. Why did they only build a 4 screen cinema when other towns of a similar size have 6 or 8 screens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Is a cinema part of the plans for McDonagh junction? The movies they show here are pretty bad. Kids movies play for ages while noteworthy movies are forgotten about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,497 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Phase 2 of the Citymart is supposed to have one..but will be a good few years yet I reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭zootroid

Firetrap wrote: »
    The rubbish cinema in Kilkenny is a bugbear of mine. I've lost count of the films which I was hoping to see in Kilkenny that never made it here. Even Oscar nominated films. Why did they only build a 4 screen cinema when other towns of a similar size have 6 or 8 screens?

Just think how long ago it was built, at that time that many screens were enough. And remember before that there was just 1 screen in a run down old cinema!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Waterford only had 1 screen up until mid 2007 and now it has 8, Kilkenny isn't really that far behind the times :)

Its doing alright with a 4 screen tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah, pity they hardly ever have the new films that everybody wants to see though.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

zootroid wrote: »
    Just think how long ago it was built, at that time that many screens were enough. And remember before that there was just 1 screen in a run down old cinema!
    It isn't around that long, well, 1998
    Capital Cineplex in cork was being developed in 88-89 I remember...

Go back a little further and kk had 2 cinemas (one where the watergate is, the savoy, remember seeing grease there I think).

One good thing about the regent on william st. was it had fab seats, very comfy and those seats for 2 were, ahem, fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The screen in that place was enormous too, although given I was 14/15 when it shut down maybe I was just small ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Waterford only had 1 screen up until mid 2007 and now it has 8, Kilkenny isn't really that far behind the times :)

Its doing alright with a 4 screen tbh

Waterford had 5 screens up to mid 2007 and now has 13.

zootroid wrote: »

Nope. I know of cinemas up the country in county towns that were built before that which had more screens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Kahless wrote: »
    Waterford had 5 screens up to mid 2007 and now has 13.

what are the 5?
    One near city square I take it, I suppose you could count the one in O'Connell street...what are the other 3?

Also do all these screens show standard films...none of this artsy fancy stuff that the majority of people don't watch and are they also in normal operation?

I'm not counting dungarvan btw, I'm talking Waterford itself not the county :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Cabaal wrote: »
    what are the 5?
    One near city square I take it, I suppose you could count the one in O'Connell street...what are the other 3?

Also do all these screens show standard films...none of this artsy fancy stuff that the majority of people don't watch and are they also in normal operation?

I'm not counting dungarvan btw, I'm talking Waterford itself not the county :)

There's 5 screens on Patrick Street Cineplex (the one near City Square) and 8 in Storm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

So we still have Alvin and The Chipmunks and I Am Leg-End, but no No Country for Old Men. Although Carlow and Portlaiose are the same. So you have to go as far as Waterford to find a cinema that's not just for children.

Kahless wrote: »
    There's 5 screens on Patrick Street Cineplex (the one near City Square) and 8 in Storm.

Patrick Street doesn't count, it was a bloody hole and currently it still doesn't count as nobody goes there ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

four screens isn't much for the size of the place, Thurles has a three screen cinema and the size of the place.

Any film I've seen in kilkenny has been soft focused very annoying.

That's another thing. Poor quality films. The end of one reel was cut out from Charlie Wilson's War. I thought all these cinemas were going digital.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭just-wonderin

i remember reading late last year that the people that want to build the sports complex and ice ring's on the carlow road has plans for a cinema too there just waiting on the land to be rezoned by the county council

They got No Country for Old Men!

Were they reading this thread?? :D Or was American Pie 5 not available?

Advertisement