Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Duffy

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

BaZmO* wrote: »
    How do you know what a pterodactyl sounds like?
    Like, duh... Microwave and Time Machine - ring a bell...?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Denalihighway

Regarding over-exposure: I take the points above, but that isn't the reason for my instinctive reaction to her, its just that to me in that song at least, she sounds like an angle grinder, having been woken after bender and 2 hours sleep.

Stovelid - I agree with the point that kids can't be blamed for not knowing their musical evolution, I wasnt critisising them, its just that you don't hear it enough from the critical press and even generally. We're at a point in time where there's been so many genres come and go its inevitable people are gonna be apeing sounds but at least give it a nod or 2.

Also, to be extra cynical, (its more fun and I'm finding it more instinctive as I get older funny enough :)) there's a huge market for this stuff - I dont believe the whole, "this record was made 4 years ago so it couldnt have been influenced by Amy Winehouse' sucess" horsesh*t...just like there's a huge market for horribly sickly sweet lovesong covers by average boybands etc...ching ching ching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

People are comparing her with Adele,who in turn is being compared to Amy Winehouse, but I hear three distinctly different voices.
    Duffy's voice isn't as deep or as strong as Amy's. She has a higher range, though. Songwise, there's no comparison : Duffy would never sing anything like "Rehab", "Me and Mr. Jones" or "F Me Pumps"!!! They are two completely different artists.
    I think "Mercy" is a great song, although I understand how it might get annoying from overplay. She seems like a really nice person, so I hope she's successful!!:)

Adele, on the other hand, I don't think is that great. Her voice grates after a while.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Green Giant

Adele, on the other hand, I don't think is that great. Her voice grates after a while.:(

Gotta agree with you on that one.

Advertisement