Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
  • 23-01-2008 7:51pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey..

Im slightly annoyed with An Post. I asked my local office to have a letter delivered to a client of mine next day - as it was a final notice of an invoice due. That was mid-week and the letter was not delivered to the client until the following week. The letter was to be delivered to the client in the same town I posted the letter.

Yesterday at 3PM I sent another letter to Dublin and asked for it to be next day delivery. Iv tracked the item and spotted that it is yet to be delivered.

Is there even such a thing as "Next Day" delivery with An Post? This is the second item not delivered in time!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,576 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Swift post is next day, I have never had a problem with getting anything sent next day but over the last few weeks an post seem to be running very slow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

An post is really not great.
    I had to urgently post an item to the UK, An post advertise next working day delivery to the UK for around 15 euro (it was a document I was sending). So I go to the post office, and they say "Ah yeah but it is unlikely it would get to England tomorrow". This was at 9am...not late in the afternoon. Why would you advertise it as a next day service if you can't deliver (ho ho) on your promises?

In the end I had to get my sister who lives in the north to print it and post it from her village post office. She posted it at 3.30pm, it arrived at the destination in England before 9am the next day. Now THAT is decent service. And it cost 1/2 the price An Post wanted!

My mother posts parcels to my sister a lot, and it takes on average a WEEK to get from Co Meath to Co Down. How can they possibly justify that?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

An Post's service in general seems to be quite poor and it gets worse in certain areas. I quite often only get post once a week and so bills arrive on the date they are due for payment etc.

I have gotten into the habit of popping into the post office every couple of weeks to check if they have anything for me because otherwise some items just don't get delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Extraplus wrote: »
    I have gotten into the habit of popping into the post office every couple of weeks to check if they have anything for me because otherwise some items just don't get delivered.

can you do that? there's a parcel "somewhere" in ireland for me right now, and i can only assume it's near me right now, waiting to be delivered to my house. i didn't realise i could pop down and collect my stuff. can i do it at the depot or the post office itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Extraplus

can you do that? there's a parcel "somewhere" in ireland for me right now, and i can only assume it's near me right now, waiting to be delivered to my house. i didn't realise i could pop down and collect my stuff. can i do it at the depot or the post office itself?

Well in my area the sorting office and the post office are in the same place, so I just go to the regular post office counter and ask if they have anything awaiting delivery for my address. They have a little look around and usually come up with something.

Maybe ring your sorting office and see if they can help.

• Advertisement

Extraplus wrote: »
    Well in my area the sorting office and the post office are in the same place, so I just go to the regular post office counter and ask if they have anything awaiting delivery for my address. They have a little look around and usually come up with something.

Maybe ring your sorting office and see if they can help.

excellent.

the sorting office is only down the road so it's handy for me. cheers for the tidbit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I'm waiting on a parcel from HK to arrive. Have the tracking info so I've been keeping an eye on it. This is the current status.
    tracking2aoy9.jpg

So, it arrived in Ireland on Wednesday and was sent out for delivery yesterday. When I got home, there was nothing, no card or anything. Today it's back in Portlaoise? I tried ringing all three numbers listed for the sorting office, no answer on any of them.

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me too. Last time, the parcel arrived 3 days after it was sent out for delivery. I let it slide last time, but I'm going to make a complaint this time.

jor el wrote: »
    This is the 2nd time this has happened to me too. Last time, the parcel arrived 3 days after it was sent out for delivery. I let it slide last time, but I'm going to make a complaint this time.

a friend of mine had similar happen. he complained to an post and the website he had ordered from. the website followed up with an post and threatened to pull the service and switch over to another carrier... the next parcel was delivered perfectly on time...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

So, it arrived in Ireland on Wednesday and was sent out for delivery yesterday. When I got home, there was nothing, no card or anything. Today it's back in Portlaoise? I tried ringing all three numbers listed for the sorting office, no answer on any of them.

If the postman is anything like the ones i've experienced recently they probably just didn't bother trying to deliver it.

I posted my brother's passport to him in Dublin about 3 weeks ago by registered post. I checked the tracking the following day only to see 'Attempted Delivery - No Answer' on the tracking service. So I emailed my brother at work to tell him that it should be at the Post Office and he must have missed the post at lunch or something. Turns out he was in the office all day and the postman didn't darken the door or leave a notification. Just too damn lazy. When he went to the PO that evening, they weren't able to give him his passport because it was at another depot after a 'failed delivery'. I think my brother lost the plot at that point, and only got his passport the following day.

My postman is so lazy that he doesn't bother leaving notifications to my house anymore, he just dumps (registered) parcels at the school I work in, usually I'm unaware of it until I meet the caretaker a day or two later saying 'I have a parcel for you'. I complained in the post office before where they tried to fob me off with 'He only did it because it was more convenient for you' until I pointed out that it wasn't convenient for me to get post I didn't know existed. Same happened just this friday so it looks like i'll be back whinging in the PO tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Same happened just this friday so it looks like i'll be back whinging in the PO tomorrow.
    Go "Bunny Boiler" mode, to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

the_syco wrote: »
    Go "Bunny Boiler" mode, to be honest.

I think I will. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

An Post really are useless lately, I was expecting a package from America last week so I kept checking their track and trace page. The item arrived in Portlaoise and stayed there, never moved, until I rang today to see what was going on...
    The guy on the phone said that all they received was a torn plactic bag with no lables or anything on it. When I told him what was in the package (expensive electrical goods) he laughed and said "That was stolen", I then asked how they knew it was my package when there were no labels on it when it arrived and he said "Sure, whoever stole it tore the labels off".
    This has me in a rage because the package must have been delivered to An Post with some kind of label to identify it as my package which was then later removed....this to me firmly places the theft on someone in an post.

So what was their solution...they will post out the remains of the package to me tomorrow.....Cheers An Post, very helpful! :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Orange69

I'm waiting on a parcel from HK to arrive. Have the tracking info so I've been keeping an eye on it. This is the current status.

Im having a similar issue, i tracked a package into portlaoise and instead of going to Limerick for delivery it has been sent to the cork mail center.. I mean what kind of illiterate fool cant tell the difference between the word Limerick and cork.. and its being sent courier too which i can testify is a waste of money as an post are incapable to carrying out a 2 day delivery..

Tbh my recent experiences with an post and usps are putting me off using the postal service in general.. the ineptitude is just ridiculous..

My package is still missing. I rang an post twice about it, the first time they guy just hung up on me and the second time some woman told me she would call the cork mail center and ring me back... guess what?? She never rang back..

I would urge anyone who is sending packages to use a professional delivery service such as fedex/ups/dhl..

An post are incompetent....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Fedex/dhl/ups can be just as bad.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Orange69 wrote: »
    Im having a similar issue, i tracked a package into portlaoise and instead of going to Limerick for delivery it has been sent to the cork mail center.. I mean what kind of illiterate fool cant tell the difference between the word Limerick and cork..

Mail to/from Limerick goes via the Cork Mail Centre. So dees mail from Cork.

When you track an item on DHL and it goes via East Midlands do you call the DHL folk illiterate for not knowing that Limerick is different to East Midlands ?

parsi wrote: »

The package is addressed to Limerick and they are attempting to deliver it to Cork. On the tracking page it says that they have attempted to deliver it twice in Cork. How are you going to defend that? Is there an area of Cork called Limerick?

And when i call about it they cant tell me where exactly is it.. Just that its in Cork.
    When you track an item on DHL and it goes via East Midlands do you call the DHL folk illiterate for not knowing that Limerick is different to East Midlands ?

Yes i would say that anyone who cant differentiate between the words "Limerick" and "East Midlands" are indeed illiterate.

Oh, and courier mail goes directly from Portlaoise to Limerick.. it does not go to Cork!

An Post suck ass!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

The package is addressed to Limerick and they are attempting to deliver it to Cork. On the tracking page it says that they have attempted to deliver it twice in Cork. How are you going to defend that? Is there an area of Cork called Limerick?

Re-read what you originally wrote. You informed us that the package was in Cork Mail Centre. You didn't inform us that they were attempting delivery in Cork.

Orange69 wrote:
    Yes i would say that anyone who cant differentiate between the words "Limerick" and "East Midlands" are indeed illiterate.

See my comment above. East Midlands is a staging area en route to Cork and Cork (in the wonderful world of An Post) is one en route to Limerick. Both can happily show up on a valid tracking history and that was an accurate comment in the context of your original post.

However all that being said it does seem hard to locate a reliable courier. I find DHL (express) to be fine but a lot of people say they are brutal. GLS is off in a galaxy of its own and has a shocking tracking system. TNT seem to be ok and Interlink can blow hot and cold.

Re-read what you originally wrote. You informed us that the package was in Cork Mail Centre. You didn't inform us that they were attempting delivery in Cork.

Yes, this is actually a recent occurance. It appeared on the tracking page tonite. I figured they just made a routing mistake but now they seem to be trying to deliver it in the wrong county. Are they even reading the address?? The mind boggles! The contents of the package are worth 1250Euro.
    However all that being said it does seem hard to locate a reliable courier. I find DHL (express) to be fine but a lot of people say they are brutal. GLS is off in a galaxy of its own and has a shocking tracking system. TNT seem to be ok and Interlink can blow hot and cold.

I agree, you cant really trust any of them. This is the last time i will buy an expensive item on the internet, its not worth the stress...

I am going to call the cork mail center in the morning myself and if its there will drive down and collect it. I cant deal with any further incompetence..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I would urge anyone who is sending packages to use a professional delivery service such as fedex/ups/dhl..

An post are incompetent....
    Last thing I ordered that got delivered by DHL was, according to their tracking, in Dublin via London about 12 hours after it left Germany, which was quite impressive. Unfortunately it then went to Shannon, because they somehow read "Blackrock, Co. Dublin" as Blackrock, Cork. Took about 3 days to get it back. They can be just as bad.

Mind you, this morning I got in the post what looks like a bank statement addressed to someone else on a different street near me. Same number, but wrong street. Same thing happpened with two statements a couple of weeks ago, yet another different street, but same number. Our local postman appears unable to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

I called Bank of Ireland yesterday to ask about the status of my credit card application and they told me the credit agreement was sent Friday. It is now Wednesday evening and there's still no sign of it.

I know our postman saves up post and delivers it in bundles. There's been no post delivered here today or yesterday. I'm sure tomorrow there will be a big bundle wrapped with an elastic band.

Though knowing our postman he might still arrive. We used to receive post at half seven or eight most evenings and one night last summer he delivered the post at 10.15pm!

Advertisement