Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help Please.

• 23-01-2008 7:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭

Hello,

My PC is acting up so I'm trying to run my recovery cd and reset it to the original settings. I have done this many times without a problem however now when i reboot with the cd in the cd rom drive nothing happens (normally a menu appears here at this stage and I start the recovery from here.)

So then i tried going into my computer and start the disc up from there but now I get 'M:\ is not accessible The system cannot read from the specified drive'. I'm not great with computers but I tried the usual help tools and see if there was any conflicts on the devices but have found none.

Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Ted.

P.S. - My computer is roughly 5-6 yrs old. Is it just knackered??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

First thing to do is try another cd in the drive to make sure the cd drive is working. Maybe a music cd that you can verify works in a cd player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭Hellm0

TedKelly wrote: »
    P.S. - My computer is roughly 5-6 yrs old. Is it just knackered??

Sounds like it mate, 5-6 years is a long time in terms of a pc's lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭TedKelly

Dingatron wrote: »
    First thing to do is try another cd in the drive to make sure the cd drive is working. Maybe a music cd that you can verify works in a cd player.

Just stuck in a music cd and it works fine. Has me confused but that's easily done. When I go to my computer, the name of the disc appears under the drive name yet it still doesn't work.

Ok have a look at surface of your restore disc and see if its dirty or scratched. Give it a good clean anyway.
    Just stuck in a music cd and it works fine.
    P.S. Your saying you can play the music cd no problem?

yeah dingatron, it played the music on windows media player no probs. So I cleaned the disc and put it back in. When I then went to 'my computer' it says recovery disc. when i double click it, it's telling me the disc in drive M is not formatted. Do you want to format it now yes/no

• Advertisement

Try to reboot the pc now with the cd in the drive. It may have been a bit of dirt on the cd.

yeah still no joy mate. ta for the help but I think it's time for a new pc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Have you checked in your BIOS that you have your CD drive set as the first boot device?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Have you checked in your BIOS that you have your CD drive set as the first boot device?

-

I have no idea what BIOS means...... As I said I have used the recovery disc many times and have never had any problems, so I presume the settings are still the same. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

Restart your computer and press whichever key you are told is needed to enter Setup or BIOS. You should get some indication at the bottom of the screen when it first starts up. Usually DEL.

In the Boot section you should then be able to adjust the settings labelled Boot Order, Boot Device Priority or possibly some other variation on this wording. Make sure that your CD/DVD drive is set to be your first boot device and you should be able to boot from a CD when you reboot. Make sure to save your settings.

Change back when done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement