Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking care of basil

Options
  • 23-01-2008 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi all, I bought one of those basil plants from Dunnes, I got it a couple of months ago but now it's really in bits, possibly because I have no idea of how to take care of it.
    I mean I have a rosemary and a parsley and I water them regularly every third day. I put the water in a plate underneath the pot, let's say half a glass. The rosemary is happy out, but the parsley doesn't look too good and the basil is definitely going to die unless I do something.. :(
    Any suggestion? Bear in mind that I'm here to learn... as in I'm totally useless..
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

A couple of months is pretty good going for a basil plant I'd say! They don't usually last much longer than a week in my house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Polythene Pam

Oh ok... I didn't know I was doing well... :p
    I actually thought that galway weather isn't exactly right for a basil plant, even for an indoor plant.. so it's not all my fault..

Any other suggestions?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

they're only €1.50 each in my local supermarket which is cheaper than buying a jar of the dried stuff, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

In my experience, they survive fine in a sheltered spot outdoors during the spring and summer, but during the winter they don't last long indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭pjq

You can grow basil from seed ( packets at Lidl now) and they last a few months growing in clay and compost . In May try some parsley outside , it's maintenance free and will last a few years .
    pjq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Polythene Pam

Excellent, thanks a million! I actually have the parsley right now and it doesn't look like a happy camper, while my rosemary is growing perfectly!
    What's the best way to water parsley? Maybe I'm giving it too much water.. I do it every third day, how's that?
    Thanks a mill

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

The basil plants are only supposed to last a week or so. Basil doesn't actually need much water, so avoid over-watering it. I had one in first year that I tended to lovingly, but it nearly died. Then I went away for a week and when I came back, it was looking better than ever!

Advertisement