Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rabbit dishes

• 23-01-2008 8:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭

Anyone got any good rabbit dishes other than a stew?
    Nothing too complicated, im a novice:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,784 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I only ever stew or braise rabbit myself. As it can be sometimes quite tough & dry (particularly if it is wild) these cooking methods suit it best.

Maybe you could experiment with the flavours you use in the stew?

Joint the rabbit & coat in seasoned flour.
    Fry some streaky bacon in a fairly hot pan,
    Add the rabbit joints & fry until golden brown. Remove from pan.
    Fry some mushrooms & sliced onions until coloured.
    Place rabbit back in pan & add enough chicken stock to nearly cover it.
    Maybe add a tsp or 2 of paprika for a bit of a kick.
    Put lid on pot & into the oven at 170C for 1 to 1.5 hours.
    Return to the hob & add a splash of cream & a knob of butter.
    (Maybe a splash of brandy too?)
    Serve with rice, spuds, pasta, whatever...

Here's another variation on the above that I do in the Autumn:
    Joint the rabbit & coat in seasoned flour.
    Fry some streaky bacon in a fairly hot pan,
    Add the rabbit joints & fry until golden brown. Remove from pan.
    Fry sliced onions & thick slices of eating apples until coloured.
    Place rabbit back in pan & add enough chicken stock & good quality cider (half & half) to nearly cover it.
    Put lid on pot & into the oven at 170C for 1 to 1.5 hours.
    Serve with red cabbage cooked with a pinch of cinnamon & spuds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Take two saddle fillets, coat in breadcrumbs mixed with a little chopped herb. Pan fry until crisp and finish in the oven. Serve with roast tomato sauce. If this is of interest I can post quantities for the exact recipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Yes please, the neighbour's been shooting again...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

The recipe is called Bacon & Herb Crumbed Fillet of Rabbit with Rabbit Liver Fagg0ts. It comes from an excellent Australian restaurant cookbook called Wild Weed Pie, written by Janni Kyritsis.

Serves 6

3 x 1.5kg rabbits
    1/2 cup toasted herb breadcrumbs
    1/4 cup finely diced bacon
    1/4 cup chopped parsley
    1/2 cup flour
    1 egg, beaten
    250g clarified butter
    1 cup roast tomato sauce

Rabbit Liver Fagg0ts

100g butter
    2 medium onions chopped
    1 clove garlic chopped
    600g rabbit meat, liver & kidney reserved from above
    100g diced fatty ham
    1/2 cup toasted herb breadcrumbs
    1 tbsp chopped parsley
    3 sage leaves chopped
    1/2 tsp coriander seeds. ground
    1/2 tsp fennel seeds, ground
    100g caul fat (from the butcher)
    Salt & pepper

To make toasted herb breadcrumbs, fry 1/2 onion finely diced with 1/2 stick celery finely diced in 60g butter, strain out the veg and add the breadcrumbs. Cook until golden. Add 1 tsp of chopped dill, parsley & chives.

Cut two fillets from each rabbit. Remove liver & kidney and dice for the fagg0ts. Cut enough meat from the legs and belly to make 600g with the liver & kidney. Dice for fagg0ts.

To make the fagg0ts, heat the oven to 200c. Melt the butter in a saucepan and fry the onion until golden. Add the garlic and meats and cook for a few minutes. Remove from the heat and add the other fagg0t ingredients except the caul fat. Roll the mixture into 12 balls and wrap each one in a piece of caul fat. Don't overlap too much. Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine breadcrumbs with bacon and parsley. Dip rabbit fillets in flour, then egg and finally breadcrumbs. Heat the clarified butter in a frying pan and cook the fillets for about 1 or 2 minutes on each side. They should be just cooked in the centre. Any longer and they will be too dry. Leave to rest for five minutes.

Make roast tomato sauce when tomatoes are at their prime - mid summer. Roast 500g fresh tomatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil at 175c for 1 hour. Push through a sieve.

To serve the dish, heat the tomato sauce, pour 2 tbsp on a plate and top with sliced rabbit fillet and 2 fagg0ts. Serve with a green salad.

Fagg0t : In simpler times these were tasty meatballs made from minced pork wrapped in caul fat and fried or roasted. But the system editor (not mods) doesn't like my spelling and **** them out, hence the spelling with a 0 rather than a o.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oops, I didn't actually edit that, I was checking what the stars hid :o. But then you got to it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement