Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kerozene boiler

Options
  • 23-01-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I have a Myson internal kerozene boiler; about 3 years ago I got the burner change to a Riello 40 as the Myson burner packed in.

Everything was fine till I turned it on tonight it would start to burn then cut out and then start again, it would do this a few times and the it would cut out all together and I would have to press the reset button . The funny thing is if I take the front of the boiler it runs fine.

It hasn’t been serviced in about two years so I took the burner off and clean out the camber and the electrodes and made sure there was nothing blocking the intake vent but this did not help.

I haven’t changed the nozzle yet as it was too late to pick one up anywhere. Do any of you think this would be the problem? Are do I need to call in the professionals?

Also I got a fill of kerozene last week if you think this would have any bearing on it.
    Thanks, Mark

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Probably safer to get it serviced professionally, as the boiler will build up with soot if the mixture / pressure is gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

No chance that you got diesel instead of kero? It needs a higher pressure.

Anyway, change the nozzle (prob 0.5 gal/hr) and hopefully this will solve it. You should reall do this every year anyway, they're only a few euro. Check that the exhaust is clear afterwards and you should be fine.

If it's still not running when you replace the front, check that the air control is not being blocked or snagged.

Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

Thanks for the help guys.

I was thinking the same thing about the diesel as well and I will check the tank tomorrow to make sure it is kerosene, the docket had “KER” on it and I did order kerosene but I am sure he could have put the wrong fuel in.

I have checked the air controller and it seems fine and the burner is running fine with the door open even 2/3 inches but once I close it, it seems to be starved of oxygen.

Would I get that nozzle in any plumber merchants? I live in Maynooth and I have Barrets just up the road.

Just checked the clear plastic filter at the side of the boiler and it's Orange/Red so that's kerozene if i am not mistaken?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

Does enough air get into the casing ? Have you tried to insulate around the boiler recently. If you put in a G3, probably is not a balanced flue, so the air must be able to get into the boiler casing. Take off the burner and check that there is not a build up of fluff on the air intake, which faces the boiler. A combination of this and closing the door could be enough to cut down the airflow and make the burner cut out. Fluff could also build up around the holes where the water pipes exit the casing. As I said above, make sure that plenty of air gets into the casing.
    Jim.

Hi guys,

I got the new nozzle and install it, it seems to be running better but it still cuts out if I close the unit up. It is a balanced fuel, jamesm so you would think it would get all the air it would need from that.

Since this problem only started a few days after a fill is there any chance its bad fuel?There was about 100 litres already in the tank when I got the fill.

I checked the setting on the air intake and even open it more but it didn’t make any different.

I have had it running now for the last 3 hours with the front open about a inch and a half on one side and she is running fine, there is a bit of a smell of fuel which I think is just in the room from me working on it but it could be that the fuel air mixture is wrong?
    But again why would it just change for no reason? The exhausts fumes are burning clear so that’s a good thing I think.

I think I will leave it for a few days and see does it fix itself and if not I may call a plumber.

Thanks for the help guys, mark

• Advertisement

I thought I should update this as it may help others.

Well I called in the professionals and he had the air problem sorted out in a matter of minutes, it was one of the metal fins in the vent had fallen back slightly on the exhaust. I could have kicked myself it was so simple but I just didn’t notice it.

As for the smell the piston that opens the air in-take was leaking and had to be replaced.
    He only charged me €100 for the part and labour so it wasn’t to bad.

We live and learn.
    Mark

Advertisement