Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

CPU Usage 100%

• 23-01-2008 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭

Hi All,

Looking for any info and sorry if this a stupid question, As the title says my computer is dying on its ar*e and after looking through a few different threads here i downloaded a few different softwares (Sysgraph, Startup inspector, speed fan) to try and figure what up with it. I currently only have 256 ram in the pc and hope to upgrade to 1 or 2gb at the weekend, but with nothing running the ram is currently around 75 - 90 % but the cpu useage just stays @ 100% all the time, my (stupid?) question is when i increase the ram will this sort out the useage or is this an unrelated thing ?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Gary.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Hi All,

Looking for any info and sorry if this a stupid question, As the title says my computer is dying on its ar*e and after looking through a few different threads here i downloaded a few different softwares (Sysgraph, Startup inspector, speed fan) to try and figure what up with it. I currently only have 256 ram in the pc and hope to upgrade to 1 or 2gb at the weekend, but with nothing running the ram is currently around 75 - 90 % but the cpu useage just stays @ 100% all the time, my (stupid?) question is when i increase the ram will this sort out the useage or is this an unrelated thing ?

Thanks for any help you can give,

Gary.
    That pc would probably only take a gig of ram max (maybe less!) due to its age by the sounds of it, what kind of proccessor do you have? Have you virus scanned? You should also go to start>run and type msconfig and untick unneccesary items from the startup tab (These would include adobe stuff, ipod stuff, apple updaters etc..), it could be background proccesses causing it or a virus. Still you have quite a low ammount of ram and if your using Windows XP I'd reccomend 512MBs of it min

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭mcgrailg

Thanks for the reply Nick, the pc is not even two years old so hopefully its not a write off yet, when i did a scan with crucialscan of the memory it said it was capable of taking up to two gigs of ram, the pc is running Intel Celeron 2.80 GHz.
    I did a virus scan using Hijackthis and here is the log

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.0 (BETA)
    Scan saved at 22:04:39, on 23/01/2008
    Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
    Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
    C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
    C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\MsPMSPSv.exe
    C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
    C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 7\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    C:\DOCUME~1\Gary\LOCALS~1\Temp\Rar$EX01.375\sgraph11.exe
    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Documents and Settings\Gary\Desktop\HiJackThis_v2.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page =
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant =
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch =
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchURL,(Default) = http://us.rd.yahoo.com/customize/ycomp/defaults/su/*http://www.yahoo.com
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyServer = 89.108.83.81:80
    O2 - BHO: &Yahoo! Toolbar Helper - {02478D38-C3F9-4EFB-9B51-7695ECA05670} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn4\yt.dll
    O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
    O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DLA\DLASHX_W.DLL
    O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\2.0.301.7164\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn4\yt.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG7_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgcc.exe /STARTUP
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Uninstall0001] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Totem Shared\Uninstall0001\upd.exe" LASTCALL!adverts.stripsaver.com!StatsStripSaver
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [!AVG Anti-Spyware] "C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\avgas.exe" /minimized
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SMSystemAnalyzer] "C:\Program Files\iolo\System Mechanic 7\SMSystemAnalyzer.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ares] "C:\Program Files\Ares\Ares.exe" -h
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [AVG7_Run] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgw.exe /RUNONCE (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Nokia.PCSync] C:\Program Files\Nokia\Nokia PC Suite 6\PcSync2.exe /NoDialog (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTFMON.EXE (User 'Default user')
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin\ssv.dll
    O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - %windir%\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe (file missing)
    O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
    O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/4,0,0,101/mcinsctl.cab
    O16 - DPF: {A90A5822-F108-45AD-8482-9BC8B12DD539} (Crucial cpcScan) - http://www.crucial.com/controls/cpcScanner.cab
    O16 - DPF: {AB86CE53-AC9F-449F-9399-D8ABCA09EC09} (Get_ActiveX Control) - https://h17000.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Secure/HPGetDownloadManager.ocx
    O16 - DPF: {E856B973-45FD-4559-8F82-EAB539144667} (Dell PC Checkup Installer Control) - http://pccheckup.dellfix.com/rel/41/install/gtdownde.cab
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Browseui preloader - {438755C2-A8BA-11D1-B96B-00A0C90312E1} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\browseui.dll
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: flensburg - {d6ef030a-a235-41ba-9ead-89b6ff542f00} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pluwue.dll (file missing)
    O23 - Service: Ares Chatroom server (AresChatServer) - Ares Development Group - C:\Program Files\Ares\chatServer.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG Anti-Spyware Guard - GRISOFT s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5\guard.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Alert Manager Server (Avg7Alrt) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgamsvr.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG7 Update Service (Avg7UpdSvc) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgupsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: AVG E-mail Scanner (AVGEMS) - GRISOFT, s.r.o. - C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVGFRE~1\avgemc.exe
    O23 - Service: Creative Service for CDROM Access - Creative Technology Ltd - C:\WINDOWS\system32\CTsvcCDA.EXE
    O23 - Service: dlcg_device - - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dlcgcoms.exe
    O23 - Service: DSBrokerService - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\DellSupport\brkrsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Firebird Server - MAGIX Instance (FirebirdServerMAGIXInstance) - MAGIX® - C:\Program Files\ALDI Photo Service\Common\Database\bin\fbserver.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Updater Service (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: InstallDriver Table Manager (IDriverT) - Macrovision Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\Driver\11\Intel 32\IDriverT.exe
    O23 - Service: iolo FileInfoList Service (ioloFileInfoList) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
    O23 - Service: iolo System Service (ioloSystemService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\iolo\common\lib\ioloServiceManager.exe
    O23 - Service: Intel NCS NetService (NetSvc) - Intel(R) Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\PROSetWired\NCS\Sync\NetSvc.exe
    O23 - Service: Pml Driver HPZ12 - HP - C:\WINDOWS\system32\HPZipm12.exe
    O23 - Service: ServiceLayer - Nokia. - C:\Program Files\PC Connectivity Solution\ServiceLayer.exe

--
    End of file - 8272 bytes

As you said with Xp i will prob need more Ram, thanks for all your help !

Im suprised it didnt come with 512MB RAM 2 years ago :O . Your log seems clean, one thing I notice is AVG Anti Spyware can be quite slow with less memory (The past versions I had this expierience with), maybe you could uninstall it and see if it would help, Keep AVG Anti Virus though, and from looking at the log I think its a desktop? You should easily fit 1 gig ram in there, just get some memory the crucial scan reccomends, if it says it would take 2 gig and you can get it cheapish go for it :) XP will fly on 1 gig though :)
    Good luck,

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

His log isn't clean and you can't tell from the log that he is using a desktop PC

To the OP, you know you have VirtualGirl on your PC ? See this entry

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Uninstall0001] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Totem Shared\Uninstall0001\upd.exe" LASTCALL!adverts.stripsaver.com!StatsStripSaver

1. Please re-open HiJackThis and choose do a system scan only. Check the boxes next to ONLY the entries listed below(if present):

O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: flensburg - {d6ef030a-a235-41ba-9ead-89b6ff542f00} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\pluwue.dll (file missing)

2. Now close all windows other than HiJackThis, including browsers, so that nothing other than HijackThis is open, then click Fix Checked. A box will pop up asking you if you wish to fix the selected items. Please choose YES. Once it has fixed them, please exit/close HijackThis.

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune.
    This program is for XP and Windows 2000 only
      Double-click
    ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
    Under Main choose: Select All
    Click the Empty Selected button.
    If you use Firefox browser
      Click
    Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    If you use Opera browser
      Click
    Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    NOTE: If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
    Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Please download Deckard's System Scanner (DSS) and save it to your Desktop.
    • Close all other windows before proceeding.
    • Double-click on dss.exe and follow the prompts.
    • If your anti-virus or firewall complains, please allow this script to run as it is not malicious.
    • When it has finished, dss will open two Notepads main.txt and extra.txt -- please copy (CTRL+A and then CTRL+C) and paste (CTRL+V) the contents of main.txt and extra.txt in your next reply.

Thanks for all the info Nick, i will get rid of the AVG spyware and see what happens and go for the one gig, and you are correct its a desktop

• Advertisement

I said seems clean, not definate, and I could tell it was a desktop guessing due to the fact no wireless intel or stuff like that was loading (A laptop baught it 2 years is due to have wifi imbuilt I would think), and I also havnt seen a 2.80Ghz Celeron CPU in a laptop, I missed that virtual girl bit sorry about that

Nick

Thanks for that Actorseeks job, i have done what you have suggested on hijackthis and gotten rid of the file and that virtual girl thing, i cant find atf cleaner as the atribune site is down and when i run the dss file i get "error in expression" when its running hijackthis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭ActorSeeksJob

Do this instead

Download WinPFind35U.exe to your Desktop and double-click on it to extract the files. It will create a folder named WinPFind35u on your desktop.
    • Open the WinPFind35u folder and double-click on WinPFind35U.exe to start the program.
    • Under Additional Scans check the box beside Reg - Disabled MS Config Items.
    • Under Rootkit Search change that to Yes.
    • Now click the Run Scan button on the toolbar.
    • When the scan is complete Notepad will open with the report file loaded in it.
    • Click the Format menu and make sure that Wordwrap is not checked. If it is then click on it to uncheck it.
    Use the Add Reply button and Copy/Paste the information back here in an attachment. I will review it when it comes in. The last line is < End of Report >, so make sure that is the last line in the attached report.

Make sure you attach the report in your reply.

Im getting an error on Winpfind now as well ! "Error loading Process Libraries" "Invalid Class String" But i have gotten rid of some software today and its a tiny bit quicker so is it a Ram issue

mcgrailg wrote: »
    Im getting an error on Winpfind now as well ! "Error loading Process Libraries" "Invalid Class String" But i have gotten rid of some software today and its a tiny bit quicker so is it a Ram issue
    More memory is deffinately worth it man (256mb imo is not enough for windows xp to run well on), get 1 gig of memory, which the crucial scanner reccomends, it should tell you a type e.g: PC XXXX, that means your system will take that type of memory so you could prob buy it from a e-tailer like komplett or overclockers cheaper. I think 2 gig would be overkill your system, 1 gig would be a better update and make the thing faster ;)

Nick

• Advertisement

cheers again Nick, more memory is a definate now

Gary.

Advertisement