Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Remote Storage

• 23-01-2008 9:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

Hi

Just wondering does anyone use remote storage of any kind? I have a lot of files on my P.C. that I would hate to lose in a crash (photo's mainly).
    Is remote storage a good way to store them?
    Which one is best?

I seen Adrive.com offers 50gb of free storage, is this good?

Thanks for any help.

Jarvis

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

For photos, I go with dvd and offsite (private) backup. Do you have a dvd burner? I would always recommend keeping a copy of photos outside your house. It stuck with me that people seem most upset to have lost photos after a house fire (obviously where there are no injuries).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭jd83

yes i use dvds its a lot handier and i know it probably doesnt happen but i do wonder who has access to your files on these storage sites. If you dont have a dvd writer you can get them cheap online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 digitalsnap

I've dumped a large amount of data onto idrive.com. You can pick your own encryption key if you want which means that only you can access the files (and of course means you're backup is unusable if you lose your key). The data is encrypted with 256-bit AES according to their site.

They offer 2GB of free storage but that won't cut it for large volumes of data such as photos. They have a referral system where you can get up to 10GB for free. I did use the free option for a while to backup documents, etc until I was comfortable with it (tested recoveries, etc). I now have the paid option which is ~$50USD/year for 150GB. I also tried Mozy and a few other services such as those that use Amazon's S3, etc but preferred idrive for my requirements. I think the idrive client software is Windows only though. Another option would be something like crashplan.com whereby you can backup a friend's data locally and they do the same for you. And if you are just concerned with photos, there are numerous options, just be aware of the terms and conditions and that some sites are geared more towards sharing than backup.

The problem with online backup services is the upload time which is going to be considerable unless you have a decent upload speed. You must also factor in the time required to restore/download the same files if you end up needing to do so. Depending on this and how much new data you are generating on an on-going basis, the online storage options may not work for you. I also backup to external hard drives and have redundant DVD copies for important files. In any case, I would recommend that you use some means of offsite backup whether that's online somewhere or regularly refreshed backup media kept out of town or a combination of both.

Advertisement