Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnout Paradise

Options
  • 23-01-2008 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

Burnout paradise is being released on Friday. Eurogamer has their review up - 8/10. http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=91271

I want it!

Anyone seen it for cheaper than £39.99 stg on any of the usual sites?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

will get it if its 50 anywhere.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'm just after ordering it for about €44 including postage and currency conversion from an ebay seller with decent feedback. There seems to be 10 times as many PS3 copies for sale on ebay than there are 360.

Could be that the 360 version is region locked, hence less sellers on ebay? (just a wild guess, i'm not even sure if it is region locked...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

tman wrote: »

they aren't that slow. I got Terminator 2 on Blueray today. Ordered it last week. Same time frame as Play and so on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭Jackabo

deffo pick this up myself as i enjoyed the last titles,i think in this one if you have a xbox camera it takes a pic of your face when taken down by another player,wonder how quick i can pull a mooner ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

It could be one of the games Tesco decides to sell for €50. Virgin sometime sell new game for €55. Smyths often have new games at a decent price if you have a loyalty card (Mass Effect was €52 and Halo 3 CE was €59 IIRC).

I'd say Argos would be a good bet to get it for €60... if anyone has the new catalogue, do let us know the price, please.

I was slightly disappointed to hear that the PS3 version was looking slightly better - but am glad of having custom soundtracks.

Would have been nice to have a few circuit races included. Not being able to change vehicles on the fly was a terrible decision by the developers - needlessly restrictive. Also hope the lack of retries doesn't irritate for too long.

Is it obvious as to what the junction events will be (race/marked man/burning lap etc.) before you activate them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

Won't be picking this up due to the lack of split screen. Proper crash mode I can live without, but no split screen is frankly appalling. And I have yet to read a review which actually even mentions split-screen's absence, despite the fact that from any Burnout forum I've looked at, it's clearly an issue which annoys a lot of people. It's like there's an industry-wide conspiracy to elimate split-screen from games in favour of online multiplayer only, and the review sites are in on it for some reason. What gives?

Oh whoopty-do, if you have a camera it'll take a picture of you when you're taken down. That's absolutely no substitute for the fun to be had with a couple of friends *gasp* in the same room as you! Yes, gamers do actually occasionally like to interact with humans in person and not solely through the interweb. And I don't know about you, but if I'm playing in a room on my own, the expression on my face doesn't often change that much, whether I crash or not, so the majority of camera shots are going to be pretty bland.

Branoic wrote: »
    Won't be picking this up due to the lack of split screen. Proper crash mode I can live without, but no split screen is frankly appalling.
    That's pretty bad alright. I would have liked to see how well this generation handles split sreen - couldn't stand the drop in frame rate in previous Burnout games. I'm not at all bothered by the lack of crash mode either.
    Oh whoopty-do, if you have a camera it'll take a picture of you when you're taken down. That's absolutely no substitute for the fun to be had with a couple of friends *gasp* in the same room as you! Yes, gamers do actually occasionally like to interact with humans in person and not solely through the interweb. And I don't know about you, but if I'm playing in a room on my own, the expression on my face doesn't often change that much, whether I crash or not, so the majority of camera shots are going to be pretty bland.
    I do like the camera photo feature. Don't reckon it will convince me to buy one though. It takes a picture after a slight delay so you can premeditate an expression (or, indeed, your ass) for the crash photo. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I'm loving BP so far. While the lack of retrying can be irritating (especially if your doing the burning routes) I prefer this system than to be dumped back to a menu and a few loading screens before I can get back into the action.

Anyone see the ads for this on telly? They make me want it badly. The music in the ad is, of course, Guns n Roses - Paradise City :)

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    I'm loving BP so far. While the lack of retrying can be irritating (especially if your doing the burning routes) I prefer this system than to be dumped back to a menu and a few loading screens before I can get back into the action.

Lack of retry is sometimes annoying - when you have the specific car necessary for a Burning Route - but for the most part I'm happy enough just to try something else if I fail. I do not enjoy navigating in this game. Looking between the compass and mini-map while trying not the collide with other vehicles is frustrating at times. I wish the mini map rotated around the vehicle like it does in other driving games.

Not being able to re-map the controls is annoying as my trigger finger is aching at the minute (from playing the game). I would probably map accelerate/brake to A/X as there's no need for these to have analogue sensitivity in this game.

I am enjoying the game - it's just annoying when things like this taint the experience.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm having a hard time on the races. If you miss one turn then the chances are that you've shagged up your position and your race. You've got to keep an eye on the compass, map & road at the same time. I haven't mastered that yet. My current method is start a race, drive for a while, pause, go to map, see what turns are coming up, go back to race, repeat.
    In the old versions you just had to worry about the road and traffic. That seemed more fun to me.

There are some great big jumps to be had though. It just takes ages to find them.

Lack of a split screen option is a disaster. I spent many hours on Burnout 3 with mates. Not so much on Revenge. Online is fine but I frequently have real people in my house who like to play games. It's not 1/10th as much fun watching somebody else play while you're waiting your turn.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭Varkov

Played the demo. I won't be picking this up until I can get it cheap, second hand.

I don't like the open world direction it has taken, it just doesn't feel like what I always think of burnout as. A high octane, track by track arcade racer. Didn't like the whole driving around to get to the next race, or the car swapping. Had enough of that in Need for Speed : Underground, which ironicly has gone track based.

Edit : And no crash mode / split screen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

well i bought it, its the first ps3 game i bought (i have to say im not that impressed with the game or the console.) The controlls are crap, they wont let me use directional i have to use analog so **** that. The idea of the whole thing set in a city is terrible, burnout is all about speed and there are times when your on a 10+ burnout chain you cant be looking at no map...

Also only 4 game modes so thats crap, its
    Road Rage
    Race
    Burning Lap
    Survival(Pursuit)

and ithink thats it. The best burnout game was the 3rd one

In the old versions you just had to worry about the road and traffic. That seemed more fun to me.
    QFT - definitely.
    Varkov wrote: »
    Played the demo.
    I couldn't play the demo - far too restrictive - it just annoyed me.
    I don't like the open world direction it has taken, it just doesn't feel like what I always think of burnout as. A high octane, track by track arcade racer. Didn't like the whole driving around to get to the next race, or the car swapping.
    Agreed. It's still Burnout though - it just makes you work a little harder to get the enjoyment. I know it's going to be more enjoyable once I've become familiar with Paradise City.

User45701 wrote: »
    The controlls are crap, they wont let me use directional i have to use analog so **** that.

I had no idea people still used the d-pad in racing games where analogue controls are available. WHY?

Man, D pad FTW! So much more controll.

More?:confused:

It's a fantastic game once you get used to the open routes, but can still get a little annoying when you're going full throttle and fly past a turn without even noticing it.
    Road rage definitely benefits from the open map, there's nothing like trying to make your way across the city to the nearest repair shop that you have on the map, knowing that one more crash and you're done for:p

Showtime is strangely addictive, it's gotten to the stage that I almost trigger it every time I see a bus:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭BillyoftheBeast

I;ve heard a lot of crazy stuff spouted about this game but seriosly. Why don't the just replace steering wheels with dpads in real cars if there is that much control.
    The independant analog throttle/break and steering is what makes car games on the xbox.
    You can't beat teasing some guy with half throttle, checking the mirror and then pulling in behind a barrier out of his turning circle.

Well, we each have our own opinions.

And my opinion is right.

Well, we each have our own opinions.

And my opinion is right.
    no, I've done the tests and my opinion came out 100% right. the machines don't lie and if you don't like it then you can always come and try take me down.

In the virtual world of course.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

D-pad does give more control if you are using the "tap tap" method But the analogue control is much smoother and better once you get used to it... A lot of newer racing games don't offer d-pad control i noticed.

But the tap-tap method is a low bitrate approximation of the analog way.

On another note, is anybody here actually warming to DJ Atomika? He's an idiot no doubt but a likeable one.

What the hell kind of name is Atomika? He annoyed the sh1te out of me in the demo.

Stephen wrote: »
    What the hell kind of name is Atomika? He annoyed the sh1te out of me in the demo.

He shuts up a bit after you've played the game for a while, but is still pretty damn annoying... Shame that you couldn't select the female voice from the introduction instead, she was infinitely less annoying...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,071 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

And sounded hotter too! Atomika is grand in this one, not hlaf as annoying i reckon.

Anyway, onto more pressing matters, everyone seems to be giving out about the free roam, but i honestly believe that this adds to the savageness of the game. Once you start finding the other junk yards it doesn't take long to get to one to change, and there's always a race near you that brings you back to near the start of the race you just lost!

This is the best Burnout since 3. The crashes are way more brutal, and alot more realistic. Slight tips can send you flying! My only complaint is that i work away from home and i don't get to play it during the week!!! I've only about 8 hours clocked up on it!!! I miss my PS3... :sob:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

no one has mentioned the online part of it yet?

Is it any fun getting a few mates into the city with you and just driving around messing, that sort of appealed to me, getting a game of tag going by ramming each other etc.

Its the main thing making the game appealing to me (though I dont have many friends who would own burnout).

My other question is in 3 and revenge when you crash you can use aftertouch to steer your crash but this was lacking in the demo, is it in the single player at all, or has it been taken out completely?

• Advertisement

Aftertouch is gone completely unfortunately
    I haven't really had a chance to try online properly yet, got disconnected from the PSN a couple of minutes after I invited someone to join a game... Beginning to wish I'd got it for the 360 instead, custom soundtracks and stable online play would be worth it for a slight dip in graphical quality

Advertisement