Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burnout Paradise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Aftertouch is gone completely unfortunately

goddamnit

that was what made 3 fantastic.

Have they removed checking as well? I noticed the physics were heavier in the demo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Checking is pretty much gone. Once you get some of the heavier cars later on in the game, you're able to plough through cars moving the same direction as you, but if you're going flat out you'll usually just crash...
    I've been playing for about 7 hours now and haven't managed to take anyone down by checking:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

By checking I assume you mean traffic checking from Revenge onwards. This was the single worst element of any Burnout game ever, this series is about weaving through heavy traffic at several hundred mph where the slightest touch sends you spiraling, leads to some tense races. Though have been taken down by a comp car in marked man, he shunted a truck that flipped into my path the prick.

So whats everyones favourite car type. I prefer the stunt cars, perfect balance of speed and control and drift like a dream.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    So whats everyones favourite car type. I prefer the stunt cars, perfect balance of speed and control and drift like a dream.

It's a bit early to say for certain - but at the moment it's looking like the speed class is my favourite.

Constant boost FTW - though they are a bit feeble when grinding against other classes online.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Gaah! I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the post.

/twitch

• Advertisement

Well, it arrived on Thursday and Its got me addicted :eek:

Has anyone listened to the Crash FM podcast? Its way, way better than I was expecting. I thought it'd be a load of DJ Atomika ****, but its actually mostly the Criterion guys talking about how the game was made, really interesting to me!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Just bought it on eBay for 40 euro delivered. Some guy in India. Looks reputable though.
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160205253606
    Ordered Burnout revenge for 360 as well from another seller.
    I was a HUGE burnout fan on PS2. It's crazy action is why video games are so enjoyable, who wants to play that simualtion stuff of Gran Turismo? Remember staying up all night to get every gold medal in the crash course on Burnout 3. got them all by morning, too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Burnout is dead to me. LOVED Burnout 2 but since then they are too glitzy and end up just annoying me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

jayteecork wrote: »
    who wants to play that simualtion stuff of Gran Turismo?

I do.

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    I do.

nice amount of posts you have there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

Tusky wrote: »
    Burnout is dead to me. LOVED Burnout 2 but since then they are too glitzy and end up just annoying me.
    I see where you're coming from but it's still got that just right Burnout handling. Paradise has the speed class cars which let you use boost in the Burnout 2 manner. I still don't like the open world design - having to look at the mini map while traveling at a couple hundred miles per hour will, all too often, result in your rocket car 'becoming one' with oncoming traffic.
    It's crazy action is why video games are so enjoyable, who wants to play that simualtion stuff of Gran Turismo?

I do! Simulations can be enjoyable, the gameplay is often more rewarding than the arcadey 'instant hit'.

nice amount of posts you have there.

And your point is?

I enjoy some sim-like games like Forza 2, but definately I find Burnout style games to be more fun. Spent hours last night doing online freeburn challenges, great fun. There was some altogether too rare co-operation happening. For instance, one of the challenges was for six players to line their cars up at a ramp in the airfield and then get the 7th player to jump them all, then everyone gets credited with the challenge completion.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I've briefly delved into the world that is Burnout Paradise and I found it rather fun to play. I much prefer an "arcade" type of drivey drivey where you can get away with not driving flawlessly or not spending hours tinkering with suspension, gear-box ratios etc.

The open city element works for me and I could understand where frustration might set in having to go back to the start of a bit if you really wanna get it done, but there does tend to be enough to occupy the brain if you're side-tracked :)

On Simulations: I only really enjoyed playing Gran Turismo when someone else had unlocked everything and had loads of cash so you could buy any car you wanted and get all the upgrades and just have a multiplayer laugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I love burnout games, and think they're usually great fun. And there is fun to be had in this game - but it just seems kind of aimless or pointless. Yeah, I can cruise around and Showtime wherever, but why? I can race or do something, but to do an event again I have to try to drive back to where I found the start originally and try again.

Online is a bit the same - you connect to a bunch of players and for the most part they don't start races, they just 'free burn' around the city.

Don't get me wrong - I prefer this type of arcadey driving game than a full-on simulation. It just seems this is a bit too 'open' for me, not enough to focus on ... Anyone else feel that, or Maybe I just need some Ritilin?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I've been playing Burnout since 3.

Myself and mates spent months playing Burnout 3. Racing against each other and doing takedowns is really satisfying. Playing on the same screen to race to cause the biggest crash was also great fun.
    It was good too in Burnout Revenge but not as good as 3.

For Paradise, I spent a week playing it and probably won't go back to it. It's fun online but absolutely no fun when you've got friends around. If you want a great blast buy Burnout 3. It's an original Xbox game but it works on the 360 and it must be dead cheap anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

I've been playing Burnout since 3.

Myself and mates spent months playing Burnout 3. Racing against each other and doing takedowns is really satisfying. Playing on the same screen to race to cause the biggest crash was also great fun.
    It was good too in Burnout Revenge but not as good as 3.

For Paradise, I spent a week playing it and probably won't go back to it. It's fun online but absolutely no fun when you've got friends around. If you want a great blast buy Burnout 3. It's an original Xbox game but it works on the 360 and it must be dead cheap anywhere.

Yeah you can get Burnout 3 as a download from XBox Live for 1200 points. Brilliant game and I'm playing it more often than I'm playing Paradise at the moment.

I just don't think the open world suits the game type. I think developers have seen the success of games like GTA and the open cities in those games, and they think that if its open world it's automatically good, so they try to force their designs around this idea. But sometimes, it just doesn't fit, and sometimes structure is *good*.

Been playing BP the last day or two and I am rather impressed.
    I'm a huge fan of Burnouts 2&3 and I commend criterion for this bold, new direction.
    My initial thoughts are that the game looks amazing, and retains the classic burnout feel.
    Showtime is appalling, they should have left that out. You just spam the A button to bounce around the place. I don't mind driving back to the starting point, this is a sandbox game after all, but I think that has actually happened to me once so far - as a Burnout veteran I'm finding things ridicolously easy unfortunately.
    Hopefully the difficulty will increase as my license advances.

I was a big fan of the original Burnouts but I still love Burnout Paradise. I really enjoy doing the online challenges. The most difficult things I'm finding are the stunt runs. I can never chain big enough combos together before I do something stupid like crash :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭0ubliette

I got burnout about 2 weeks ago, and played it non stop for like 2 hours thinking 'this is great!!'. But i havent touched it since. The open world thing really bugged me after a while, as someone said having to check your mini map at 200mph means epic failure if youre in the middle of a race. And i knw youre supposed to 'learn all the backroads' and etc, but hey, maybe i dont want to memorise every inch of the map just so i can win a race. Its a fun game but im already considering trading it, i just didnt like the open world thing, id have much preferred if it was track based. Seems like alot of companies are jsut trying to shoehorn 'sandbox gameplay' into these next gen games just because they can, not cause they should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

lads & lassies

Picked up this game for PS3 over the week-end and haven't a clue what to do??

nothing on screen to tell you what to do and no commentary - am i missing something?

I have a learner permit and it says in 2 race wins it will be upgraded - where do I start the race and how do I know the course.

Thanks.

EireEV

Go to any set of traffic lights. Hold the break and the accelerator together. That will start the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭EireEV

Thanks for that.

Once the race starts how do I know where I'm going? Is there some sort of an arrow directing me? Or do I consult a map?

Basically the lights are the starting point - where is the finishing point?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭writetojd

Theres a little compass at the top of th screen that tells you the general direction to go and the distance, the street signs will blink when your approaching a turn. Takes a race or two to get the hang of but its good fun. Road rage is my favourite followed by marked man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Branoic

EireEV wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Once the race starts how do I know where I'm going? Is there some sort of an arrow directing me? Or do I consult a map?

Basically the lights are the starting point - where is the finishing point?

When the race starts the annoying DJ man will show you a map and say "You are here. Now race here" and will show you the finish point. Once the race starts its up to you how to get there. Good idea in theory, terrible in practice. I scream with rage every time I take a wrong turn and end up going round a long winding slip road up to some motorway. What I've taken to doing now is following behind other racers for most of the route just so I can follow the way they go, then try to boost past them on the home run. Well, when I say that's what I do now, I haven't actually played the thing in about 2 weeks.

IK'm having an absolute blast with Burnout Paradise.
    It's a real quality title and the developers must be sick with the 7s and 8s out of 10 that the game is receiving.
    That criticism that you can't restart a race is just bollox - this is a sandbox game. Do something else. there's always tons of other events nearby.
    Plus StuntRun is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Burnout Paradise

is it worth buying ??

Marks Out of 10 ?

9/10 for me. Dunno about on PSN but its great fun on xbox live.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭roadruner

Stephen wrote: »
    9/10 for me. Dunno about on PSN but its great fun on xbox live.

Cheers steve, I'm thinking of buying if for the ps3
    anyone else think its good?

• Advertisement

I do. 8/10 because I tend to get lost in some races.

Advertisement