Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommended study time in 5th year?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

A bit early to be feeling pre-Leaving Cert jitters but I suppose it's just apprehension at not fulfilling my expectations. I do a good bit of homewrok a night,none on weekends until Sunday but have gotten mostly A's in my assessments (excluding English,but I was dismayed at that result as I felt it deserved more). Just wondering how much I should be studying to set me on track for the high 500's? Are my fears of insufficient study justifiable or am I a pansy?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

5th year"er" myself too. Only usually do homework, haven't starting studying yet. Plan on starting to get studying Physics after the mid-term in February, saying this I ain't aiming for 500, I'm looking for about 400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

5th year? Why aren't you drunk??

Seriously, do enough to keep getting As in your assessments and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Donald-Duck

5th year, 0 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭lalalalinda

I'm in 5th year and doing pretty average in my exams but cmon..stop being such a nerd! You have time to go out now, that won't happen in 6th year if you'll be studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭timmywex

I'm in 5th year and doing pretty average in my exams but cmon..stop being such a nerd! You have time to go out now, that won't happen in 6th year if you'll be studying.
    +1,
    Im in 5th too, my advise is to do your homework and any learning you have and that'll cover ya!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Bollocks. With more people being 18 and all, and of course, the 18th birthday parties that go with that, you'll probably go out MORE in 6th year. There's more than enough time to study and go out regularly in both 5th and 6th year. I mean if you get up at 11 on Saturday and go out at 8, you have a whole 9 hours of free time, which means you can easily get 3-5 hours study done that day as well as going out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Shane190

I'm in 5th year also and i dont do any study at all. I just do the written homework.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

I'm in 5th year and I'm looking for 500+ points come June '09.

My thinking is that if I do the extra bit of work this year I can afford to go to all the 18ths next year without feeling guilty!

I'm doing my homework, studying for tests and *try* to do extra study. I do after school study in school twice a week so it's usually then that I do the extra study.

As someone has said already, you'll prob go out more next year! Might as well work this year when you're nt going out so much. Next year you'll really need the nights out to keep you on track while giving yourself breaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭spoonbadger

imo, its a pretty simple formula. every night...
    1. do your homework fully, and with effort. (obviously, religion homework or donkey work doesn't count).
    2. do 1/2-1 hour of study each night,you dont need to revise the whole course on every subject. just review what you did that day and maybe do some notes on the important stuff.
    3. try to do 2-3 hours study on weekends on the important stuff,like maths,or whatever you have trouble with.
    4. 2 weeks before chrimbo/summer/easter/halloween tests,start cramming.and cram like a crazy person :D.

if you're doing that,then your doing well imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

yeah im trying to get all my homework done and about an hour of study :)
    but id be lying if id say it happens every night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Jello

I'm in 5th year and doing absolutely no extra study. I just can't motivate myself!

I will get my act together soon though... hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭SligoBrewer

Jello wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year and doing absolutely no extra study. I just can't motivate myself!

I will get my act together soon though... hopefully.

QFT:(

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭TheAmateur

I kinda wish I'd studied in 5th year... even just a little bit, just so I would remember some stuff I'm trying to learn for the mocks right now! If I had a time machine... man I'd go back and kick my ass:D

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭starr0409

omg you HAVE to enjoy life while in 5th year or you'll burn yourselves out for 6th! if i could do 5th year again (doing lc mocks right now) i would
    -do all homework
    -especially ALL learning work -means you only have to spend a fraction of the time learning things again in summer exams or mocks or the real thing
    -get a's and b;s in class tests (if your lucky enough to have a teacher to make you do them)
    after that theres seriously no need for study study.you'll be so sick of it by half way through 6th year you'll be a manic depressant or something!

enjoy 5th year while you can!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Put in an amount of study that is equal to your desire to go on to college. If you really want that spot in Trinity for example, I'd go and do 1-3 hours a night plus your prescribed homework. If you dont give a **** and plan on making your parents pay for you to go through 6th year then go drink something and stop wasting your teachers time.

Basically.

But for 500 points I'd definitely aim for 3 hours of bookworming a night at the least. I think I did between 2 and 3 and got 400 points for my troubles. 3 hours isnt all that much: you get off school at what - 4 - you're in bed at 11 or 12 so you have 7 or 8 hours to dick about: take away 3 for study, 1 for food, and you still have 3 or 4 to dick about. The system works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 861 ✭✭✭KeyLimePie

just make sure that you keep on top of your homework and learn everything that you're given! that means the revision you do in 6th year will actually be revision but not trying to teach yourself about 20 chapters you didn't pay attention to

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭teckoda

Homework in 5th year is sufficient. I mean, no need to go over the top.

Although i probably wish i had done more homework in 5th year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

5th year is for sex, drugs and rock 'n roll.

right?

Advertisement