Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin Nuvi Maps onto SD card

• 23-01-2008 10:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I've got the City Navigator North America NT 2008 DVD, installed MapSource and unlocked the maps on the PC. Now I wasnt to transfer to my SD card. It says it transferred successfully... There is a 'garmin' directory with one file gmapsupp.img on the SD.

However when I turn on the GPS it just loads the built-in maps, option doesn't appear when I try to select another map. How is the process supposed to work with an SD card. Has anyone done this? Or even purchased an SD card preloaded with maps? How do you select the map on the SD? What files are on your SD card?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's pretty much it, as you described it. They should just appear automatically. The gpmapsupp.img file is all the map tiles you selected combined into one big file.

I've got a nuvi 760, so don't know if the menus are the same as yours (you don't say which model you have) but if you do Tools > Settings > Map > Map Info, do you see the map there, with a check box next to it? What if you go to "Where to?" and try to select "United States"?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ken_goldwing

liamw wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I've got the City Navigator North America NT 2008 DVD, installed MapSource and unlocked the maps on the PC. Now I wasnt to transfer to my SD card. It says it transferred successfully... There is a 'garmin' directory with one file gmapsupp.img on the SD.

However when I turn on the GPS it just loads the built-in maps, option doesn't appear when I try to select another map. How is the process supposed to work with an SD card. Has anyone done this? Or even purchased an SD card preloaded with maps? How do you select the map on the SD? What files are on your SD card?

You unlocked the maps on the PC but did you go on line to Garmin to get a unlock code its a .unl file that gois on to your card ??
    This you have to pay for the maps on cd(DVD) are free for the pc but not for your unit..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭jamieh

Hi all,

Sorry for digging up and old thread, but how big does the SD card need to be in order to fit the North American maps on?

Advertisement