Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date flowers

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Well I am going on a first date next week (no, not my first ever date!).

But to be honest I have never really gave flowers as a gift on a first date before, it actually never crossed my mind.

Anyways that aside, wondering what the opinion is on first date flowers, would roses be over the top and would yee be mortified if a guy showed up with roses, or should I go for less over stated flowers?

I'm fairly certain I will bring flowers, but what type I'm not sure.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

Personally I'd find that VERY odd for a first date. No matter how nice you were I'd think that was way too far, just being honest sorry. I know you mean well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

yeah i don't think i'd like that on a first date

also... starting off that nice means you'll be expected to stay that nice hehe!! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭charba

I've never been given flowers on a first date as far as I can remember. I think its a lovely idea. I'm not so sre about roses though.
    Perhaps you could pick up two or three different colours of carnations from the flower stalls along Henry or Grafton Street and mix them and put them all back together again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Oh I never picked up on the roses bit. yeah roses might be a bit too much on a first date.

I second Charba's suggestion if you are going to get flowers, it is a lovely idea. Apologies, it just reminds me of my ex who used to give me the pretty much dead flowers from the end of the day in work when i was 17..eurgh!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 422 ✭✭RAFC

Ah folks, a bit of romance please :). Maybe not a bunch of flowers, but how about 1 single rose ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 pelvic

Eeeugh, no flowers purlease

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

MayMay wrote: »
    Personally I'd find that VERY odd for a first date. No matter how nice you were I'd think that was way too far, just being honest sorry. I know you mean well.
    I agree with MayMay, i would never do anything like that, it may give off the wrong impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Treora

Yep, maybe at the fourth date and then delivery only. First date is about relaxed eye contact, being comfortable in your own skin around her and conversation flow. Keep your money for the date. Since you are paying you get to choose the wine and order for the lady (once you have asked her what she is ordering). Strong yet affable eye contact, voice and presence towards waiter shows your date how you deal with people when she is with you. And waiters take this as their job - this is why they get tipped. Of course overplaying it makes one look a d'''head.

It screams
    'I am desperate', are you ????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

i duno, i think it'd be nice,but NOT roses.

roses are for seriousness and love. first dates are fun and getting to know each other.

• Advertisement

Why the hell do people start threads and then hide????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Susannahmia

Hmm I would find that a bit weird on the first date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Dude, don't do it. Not on a first date. Just don't. For the sake of this fledgling relationship, I implore u...don't give her flowers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yep... it would be a bit odd... I'd never do that on a first date.

Actually the only time I've ever buy flowers when going on a date is when I've run late and need to apolagise. Of course the act of stopping off to buy flowers makes me even later.. but there you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

its a bit weird to be honest. the only time i can see it being sweet/romantic & not "LOVE ME! PLEASE LOVE ME!" is if youve been friends with the girl for awhile & had kinda built up to the date. even then i wouldnt be too sure..

its not expected so id play it safe & dont do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Odd + 1 vote here for a 1st date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

pelvic wrote: »
    Why the hell do people start threads and then hide????

Relax...I'm busy with stuff...and am only online an odd time...

I've also read your other posts pelvic, and to be honest i'm not impressed with what you have said, especially the i'm desperate bit...think you need to mature a little and stay out of this thread if thats the way you are gonna talk cause if you talk like that then yes, i will stay away from this thread...but i accept your apology in advance :)

As for the other cynics, I didn't ask should i give flowers, so please don't waste ur time telling me not to bring them..again people who advise against dont know what they are talking about...it is courtesy to bring a gift, whether its flowers, chocolates anything....and it also is a way of putting your date and you at ease...something interesting to talk about...price is not an issue for me, i can afford these things, i'm not on a minimum wage, i dont smoke and don't suffer the so romantic affliction of being a heavy drinker ...if everything works out she will remember the first date and she will tell her friends he brought me flowers and they will agree im an ok guy and i will have made a good impression...so yes flowers are always a good idea on the first date...others mightnt think so, thats their opinion but im not asking them if they think i shud or shudnt...

Thanks Charba and others for the good advice...it is always nice to get a woman's view on these things..i think a mixture is a good idea...i will look into that...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

Well I'll tell yee what...I will let yee know how I get on...like i say i'm pretty sure i'll get the flowers so i'll tell yee her reaction, if she is shocked, surprised, mortified, throws them in the gutter, etc, etc.

Although it mightn't be for another week yet, and a week is a long time for a woman to think about these things so she might have gone off me by then and there might be no date at all...

But please dont let this be the last word on it, keep talking about it on here, all opinions valued...except the ones who try to make out im weird, cause trust me i aint weird...least i dont think i am

So you only want to hear opinions that you agree with then?

Fair enough, you clearly have your mind made up.... But I really don't think people were calling you weird, they just considered the act of giving flowers on a first date to be a bit odd. It just looks seems like you're coming on too strong with something like that... But best of luck with it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Go ahead and get flowers but nothing expensive and NOT ROSES... just a little bunch and don't make a big deal out of them

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Flowers are always a nice thing to get, apart from roses, which scream lack of imagination I think, but think of the practicalities...where do you intend going on the date? Who gets to drag the flowers around with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Treora wrote: »
    Since you are paying you get to ... order for the lady (once you have asked her what she is ordering).

Eh what? I can honestly say I've never even heard of anyone doing this, and would never dream of doing it myself.

Wreck wrote: »
    Since you are paying you get to ... order for the lady (once you have asked her what she is ordering).

Eh what? I can honestly say I've never even heard of anyone doing this, and would never dream of doing it myself.

Wow.. I hadn't spotted that. I generally thought it was considered good courtesy to allow the lady order first... and any good waiter will ask what her first too anyway... they'll generally go to the male for wine though...

. Since you are paying you get to choose the wine and order for the lady (once you have asked her what she is ordering). .

I just order for her without asking what she wants.

I call it "The lucky dip" :p

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I just order for her without asking what she wants.

I call it "The lucky dip" :p

She'll have the breadsticks and a glass of tap water and I'll have the lobster and a bucket of champagne.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

I got flowers on the 2nd date, wasn't strange at all, we got together near Valentines day so they were sorta for both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

Before we started going out my bf called in to work to see me one day and brougt me a big sunflower. I was so embarassed at the time because we had an auditor in who was chuckling away (I know, an auditor with a sense of humour?!). looking back I find it so touching and it was a very good sign for what was to come.Only someone that was really in to you but do something so sweet. No bunch of flowers but one flower ithink would be quite romantic!

I still think he's gonna crash and burn with it :p

We all know ladies prefer a bloke who doesn't show that he's super keen initally, and vice versa.

It'll only end in tears :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

tallaght01 wrote: »
    I still think he's gonna crash and burn with it :p

We all know ladies prefer a bloke who doesn't show that he's super keen initally, and vice versa.

It'll only end in tears :p

He wont come back if it ends in tears
    just like he only wanted our opinions if they agreed with his, when its a failure he wont come back for the I told you so posts :D

• Advertisement

Wreck wrote: »

Wow.. I hadn't spotted that. I generally thought it was considered good courtesy to allow the lady order first... and any good waiter will ask what her first too anyway... they'll generally go to the male for wine though...

One of my ex's was too shy and uncouth to order.
    I used to get such filthy looks from wait staff, who thought I was domineering the poor pet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement