Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First date flowers

Options

Comments

I definitely think one flower, that is different from the usual rosematic stanards is the way to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

I'm not sure... Flowers on a first date... Where's she gonna put them?! They'll be wilted by the end of the night!

Maybe buy her one from one of those street-sellers if all's going well (that'd be an ok gesture in my books) but turning up with them might seem quite eager!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

I have to agree with everyoe who said that she'd have to carry them around, that can be quite awkward

however if you were meeting her at her house or something to pick her up it might be a nice idea!!

pelvic wrote: »
    Eeeugh, no flowers purlease

+1

especially not on first date

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

Treora wrote: »
    Since you are paying you get to choose the wine and order for the lady (once you have asked her what she is ordering). Strong yet affable eye contact, voice and presence towards waiter shows your date how you deal with people when she is with you. And waiters take this as their job - this is why they get tipped. Of course overplaying it makes one look a d'''head.

Um.. doing this would make ONE look a d*ckhead? im well able to speak for myself, if a man did this on the 1st date id think "arrogant a**hole"

gbh wrote:
    again people who advise against dont know what they are talking about...it is courtesy to bring a gift, whether its flowers, chocolates anything....and it also is a way of putting your date and you at ease...something interesting to talk about...price is not an issue for me, i can afford these things, i'm not on a minimum wage, i dont smoke and don't suffer the so romantic affliction of being a heavy drinker

why dont they know what theyre talking about? majority are female & so know what females like.
    & the rest of that makes you sound like extremely arrogant, if thats the way you talk on your date giving the flowers might be the highlight of the evening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

If you know the person I don't think it's odd to bring flowers, maybe it's one of those friendships on the brink of being a fantastic love affair! If it was just some bloke I'd met last week who asked me out, I'd feel uncomfortable with it I have to say. There is nothing discourteous about not bringing a gift, why should you? You are spending time together, it's an equal balance.

And yes, I know you've made up your mind and don't care what anyone says.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

So you only want to hear opinions that you agree with then?

Fair enough, you clearly have your mind made up.... But I really don't think people were calling you weird, they just considered the act of giving flowers on a first date to be a bit odd. It just looks seems like you're coming on too strong with something like that... But best of luck with it anyway.

I think there is a fifty-fifty split on whether it's nice or odd which is fair enough...

I just would welcome opinions on IF i decided to bring flowers what would be suitable or not...then on the day in question I may decide not to bring them...but if I do decide, what would I bring??

sar84 wrote: »

why dont they know what theyre talking about? majority are female & so know what females like.
    & the rest of that makes you sound like extremely arrogant, if thats the way you talk on your date giving the flowers might be the highlight of the evening

How shall I answer this...

My answer is this...and I hope you have the intelligence to understand it cause i suspect you mightnt...
    first off im not arrogant, but i guess arrogant is a new buzzword for you...
    secondly, im not here for an argument or to be insulted or for people just to react negatively to everything i say or have playground taunts about not accepting what others say..thankfully we live in a free country and im free not to accept what others say, agreed?...if u can't keep it polite, then either you leave or I leave and you can have the thread to yourself and i wont be coming back...so its ur decision...
    thirdly, and this is key...its not a universal phenonomen that people DONT bring flowers on a first date, agreed? IT does happen, it has happened and it will happen...if people think its odd, fair enough, but it does happen..and thankfully i have the backbone to disagree with people and to think to hell what they think if i dont like what they say...that's not arrogance, its called pleasing yourself...there is a difference...

gbh wrote: »
    its called pleasing yourself...there is a difference...

the idea is to please your date, unless you're bringing flowers for yourself to carry around

and i doubt she'll be pleased

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

Who wants to carry a load of flowers around all night?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Rozabeez wrote: »
    Who wants to carry a load of flowers around all night?

Agree, once a very nice gentleman brought me flowers, I carried them for most of the night, then later on after they'd gotten caught in the 4th passer-by it was a bit more 'Ah here now' and I shoved them in the bin.

How shall I answer this...

My answer is this...and I hope you have the intelligence to understand it cause i suspect you mightnt...
    first off im not arrogant, but i guess arrogant is a new buzzword for you...
    secondly, im not here for an argument or to be insulted or for people just to react negatively to everything i say or have playground taunts about not accepting what others say..thankfully we live in a free country and im free not to accept what others say, agreed?...if u can't keep it polite, then either you leave or I leave and you can have the thread to yourself and i wont be coming back...so its ur decision...
    thirdly, and this is key...its not a universal phenonomen that people DONT bring flowers on a first date, agreed? IT does happen, it has happened and it
    will happen...if people think its odd, fair enough, but it does happen..and thankfully i have the backbone to disagree with people and to think to hell what they think if i dont like what they say...that's not arrogance, its called pleasing yourself...there is a difference...

aw & there was me trying to help you from falling flat on your face..

i think i was perfectly polite, there were no "playground taunts". you dont like the opinions given on the thread so you lash out & try insult my intelligence? i didnt say bringing flowers was arrogant, it was ur attitude towards the money situation, that by being able to bring flowers you were somehow superior to all other males, & that someone who smokes, drinks or is on minimum wage is below you.

im not going to resort to commenting on your intelligence, im really not that bothered. good luck with the date... :rolleyes:

bluewolf wrote: »
    the idea is to please your date, unless you're bringing flowers for yourself to carry around

and i doubt she'll be pleased

did it actually occur to you or others that i be meeting her at her house???

Did it???

Maybe you should apologise now for implying that i wud be so dumb to bring them around under my arm all night...

Why do i have to answer statements like this?? when people obviously havent thought through what they are going to say and then try and make out the other person is at fault...

sar84 wrote: »
    aw & there was me trying to help you from falling flat on your face..

i think i was perfectly polite, there were no "playground taunts". you dont like the opinions given on the thread so you lash out & try insult my intelligence? i didnt say bringing flowers was arrogant, it was ur attitude towards the money situation, that by being able to bring flowers you were somehow superior to all other males, & that someone who smokes, drinks or is on minimum wage is below you.

i never said that i thought that..where did you get that idea i dont know but you are putting words in my mouth...and like i say i dont want an argument...all you do is react negatively to what i say, and have nothing constructive or relevant to say to my opening statement..but just want a fight or to prove you are better than me or something like that...

im not arrogant and i dont think im better than others so please dont assume that..i am saying everyone is free to spend their money how they like ok?? again how is that arrogant..

Anyways probably shouldn't say anything more on this thread.

To those who offered helpful advice, thanks...

To those who were trying to be clever but failed...no thanks...

did it actually occur to you or others that i be meeting her at her house???
    i didnt care enough to wonder? what's that got to do with what i said?
    Why do i have to answer statements like this?? .

if you don't, god will kill a kitten

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Dude... you wanted feedback, and the ladies are giving you feedback. Take the f**king hint, will you?

gbh, grow the f**ck up, nobody is trying to be clever, we were giving our opinions. Not everyone likes to be brought flowers on a date, you don't need to verbally attack everyone that disagrees with you. Seriously, get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Don't ask for people's opinions if you're not willing to listen to them!

the_pyscho and bluewolf = dumb and dumber

The really intelligent people answered the question I asked which was what type of flowers would be suitable..

The stupid people answered a question i didnt ask and then try and blame me for their lack of intelligence...i cant take responsibility for peoples lack of intellect or for the fact they answer questions i didnt ask...i cant do that im sorry...

so im not interested in stupid answers ok...so please stop bothering me with those answers or else i wont come back..

and i dont care either if you dont care..keep that to yourself...

i guess on this site, on every thread there are dumb people and smart people..usually the dumb people think they are smarter than everyone else, i guess its insecurity about their intellect that makes them act this way...but i can see straight through it...

so please if ur gonna answer, answer what i asked, or else i just put u on ignore...

ok

• Advertisement

Rozabeez wrote: »
    gbh, grow the f**ck up, nobody is trying to be clever, we were giving our opinions. Not everyone likes to be brought flowers on a date, you don't need to verbally attack everyone that disagrees with you. Seriously, get over it.

Look whatever...i dont care what people say who say irrelevant things..when i ask a question i expect a straight answer to that question...is that too hard to expect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭SW81

Ok then I'll answer your original question....if it was me I wouldn't appreciate flowers on a first date....I would find this far too overbearing.

There ya go, I'm sure you'll go ahead and do what you want anyway, best of luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Well I am going on a first date next week (no, not my first ever date!).

But to be honest I have never really gave flowers as a gift on a first date before, it actually never crossed my mind.

Anyways that aside, wondering what the opinion is on first date flowers, would roses be over the top and would yee be mortified if a guy showed up with roses, or should I go for less over stated flowers?

I'm fairly certain I will bring flowers, but what type I'm not sure.

Unless you are collecting her at home and she can leave them, then no flowers. Seriously, would you want to carry a bunch of the f**kers around all night>? Posies, perhaps?

the_pyscho and bluewolf = dumb and dumber

The really intelligent people answered the question I asked which was what type of flowers would be suitable..

The stupid people answered a question i didnt ask and then try and blame me for their lack of intelligence...i cant take responsibility for peoples lack of intellect or for the fact they answer questions i didnt ask...i cant do that im sorry...

so im not interested in stupid answers ok...so please stop bothering me with those answers or else i wont come back..

and i dont care either if you dont care..keep that to yourself...

i guess on this site, on every thread there are dumb people and smart people..usually the dumb people think they are smarter than everyone else, i guess its insecurity about their intellect that makes them act this way...but i can see straight through it...

so please if ur gonna answer, answer what i asked, or else i just put u on ignore...

ok

ah the "playground taunts" are back :D

give it up.

to answer your question: the best flowers to bring? invisible 1s :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Heaven help the poor waiter if he suggests that the vegetable soup is good that evening.

"STOP SAYING IRRELEVANT THINGS OR I'LL IGNORE YOU!"

Heaven help the poor waiter if he suggests that the vegetable soup is good that evening.

rofl
    crying laughing now

nipplenuts wrote: »
    Unless you are collecting her at home and she can leave them, then no flowers. Seriously, would you want to carry a bunch of the f**kers around all night>? Posies, perhaps?

I guess you skipped the part where i answered this...

You just read the first post and clicked on post reply...correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_pyscho

i cant take responsibility for peoples lack of intellect
    How about your own lack of intellect?

Look whatever...i dont care what people say who say irrelevant things..when i ask a question i expect a straight answer to that question...is that too hard to expect?

If you don't care, then why are you being so defensive?

Clearly, none of us are intelligent enough to understand you.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

*hits waiter with flowers*

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement