Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

To Buy or not To Buy?!

• 23-01-2008 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 40

I have a 99 Mitsubishi colt (108k miles) and I've been looking at a Ford Focus (04).
    It's only got 20k miles, and the price tag is 13,250. With trade in, cost is 10k.
    Should I go for it or not? Just nervous cos never spent so much on anythin before!
    Any of ye have much haggling/ tyre kicking experience? I just find it hard, never ask the right questions! Think it's harder for a girl!
    Thanks guys!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,468 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

What type of garage are you buying the car from? What warranty is with the car?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,211 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Got any pics of the colt? How much you been offered for it?

€3,250 for the Colt. (which is about €2,000 in reality, once potential discounts are considered)

OP: Would be interested in it for 2k if it's never been crashed and isint a pile of poo. Let me know

OP would have much more bargaining power without the trade in.

€13250 for a 4 year old Focus is hardly a bargain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 Starstream

Colm, its a big ford mitsubishi garage in galway, they offered a 1 year guarantee.

John, where are you from? Would prefer to just do a straight swop tbh, just easier, will keep you in mind though! It's a good car, no crashes, 108k, so thought 3250 was a good offer.

Colm, what potential discounts do you mean? I would have more bargaining power without trade in? how do you mean? Should I bargain more? I thought coz of low mileage I could resell in 2/3 years for about 8000? What do you think?

I presume the Focus you're looking at is a 1.4. Is it the current model or the old one. Is it LX spec or something nicer?

If you're not trading something in, it's generally accepted that you can get a discount on the car you're buying, how much you get depends on how much margin the dealer has in the car.

Here's an 05 focus 5dr for €300 less for instance.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=812003

I'm in Galway

It is a 1.4, older model, not LX.
    So you don't reckon i'd pay any less for it with bargaining because I'm trading in my current car? Never knew that.
    That 05 focus has double the miles though. I was originally going for an older year, smaller price bracket, got slightly swayed by the lower mileage. Intend on travelling in 2/3 years so will be selling on. I wont put much miles on it.
    Do you reckon I should keep lookin, is it over priced?

If John gives me 3000 for it, I'd have more bargaining power at the garage?!?!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

it doesn't really work that easily! lol, in fairness a 99 colt isn't really worth 2k.

Starstream wrote: »
    If John gives me 3000 for it, I'd have more bargaining power at the garage?!?!:D

1) I havent seen the car and don't know anything about it
    2) It's a car for the GF, her first car, she's not spending more than 2k. Just thought i'd enquire anyhow

It's well overpriced for an old model Focus.
    As for being too far away, I don't know what sort of money you earn, but if half a day travelling is worth more than €1,000 to you fair play.

There are a few good value ones here: (some 05 are still old model)

05 1.4 5dr 15,500mls €12,950
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=897922

04 1.6LX 14000mls €11,500
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=877766

04 1,4LX 14000mls €12,450
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=866961

A 99 Colt with NCT will get €2k handy enough. they have their following.

John, I was jokin! Course you'd have to see etc first, and I'd say it's only worth 2k. I'll let you know how it fares with the garage anyway.

Colm, what do you mean too far away, and 1000 for half a days work???

I'll keep lookin I reckon, it was a lovely car though. Anyone recommend good value garages around galway, or how safe is it goin through private sellers?

PM me pics of the colt with spec, gf may be interested

I'll see if I can do that tomorrow john, have no pics at the mo:)

Advertisement