Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a bike for approx €400

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭

Ok, so it's not a great deal on money, but I want to get a bike for around €350-400. It will be used for mainly on-road riding, but I'd like if it could manage some forest trails too.
    I want to try and get fit again, gone lazy the past few years :o
    Almost bought a carrera subway 2 in Halfords last week, but I thought I better check with the boardsies before I buy anything;)

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

subway2 is a great bike for commuting, not so good off road.

how often will you go off road??once a year or once a month.

this forest trail stuff will cost you more and make your bike heavier.
    you could buy the subway 2 and put a set of mtb tyres and a suspension fork on when you go off road, you could get one with a lock out function.:D
    will cost you most towards the€450 mark though.

Manitou axel

Carrera subway 2

Post mount to IS mount adaptor

comes to about €500, not too bad, you could go subway1 and it would go about €100 cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Wouldn't be hammering any trails or anything like that. Just need something that won't rattle to bits if I was "lightly" off-road :p

The subway seems very light, I did wonder about its durability...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

subway durable, look at the parts on it they are middle of the road MTB bits.
    maybe even if you bought a MTB and put slicks on it.
    if you are talking about fields ands gravel then the subway is fine, if your talking getting air and flting through a forest then no!:D

it all depends on your use, no point in spending a extra 120 yoyo's just to go off road once a year.
    ive a full on dirt jumper, i havnt been on that in a month!!!!:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭leex

Recently purchased a Giant CSR 4.0 - would recommend it.

Advertisement