Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Eircom DNS problem?

Options
  • 23-01-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi all,

I could be way off the mark here but I've noticed twice in the past couple of months intermittent issues connecting to websites using my eircom broaband.

The first time was in December on a Sunday morning. I logged on and nearly every site I went to threw up the dreaded "Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage" message. This happened for big sites like www.bbc.co.uk, www.ireland.com etc. I pinged the router just to make sure I could see it, then I went to router admin page (netopia router) and used their diagnostic tool to ping a few sites to test the web access. Even the test connection they suggested tftp.netopia.com wouldn't work. This was even though the router showed everything up and running - DSL, broadband connection to eircom, ethernet etc. After a couple of hours the BBC site came back and by that evening everything would load up again fine.

This evening I had something similar. I was searching google a bunch of times and noticed that results on big sites like wikipedia.org could be linked to fine, but smaller sites results gave me the "cannot display webpage" message. It's happened with a large number of sites, too many for it to be a coincidence.
    some examples
    http://www.errorforum.com/
    http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/

But boards is working fine and searching google works fine.

Any ideas? It's driving me nuts....

D

PS - I'm living in Ballinteer in case it's a local exchange related issue.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Here, its come up here a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 480 ✭✭Barlow07

Darren_C wrote: »
    Hi all,

I could be way off the mark here but I've noticed twice in the past couple of months intermittent issues connecting to websites using my eircom broaband.

Have you assigned eircom DNS on your connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭Onikage

openDNS: 208.68.222.222

Fast. Works.

Edit:
    Seems to have changed since last I looked. They now recoomend using 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Darren_C

Spot on lads, works a treat.

Advertisement