Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs in Newbridge; good, bad and ugly?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Liked the thread on restaurants, so why not. I've just moved here in last 2 months so as of yet I can't give an real opinion.

So Newbridge town which pubs, why & when?

Thanks

Dave

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Personally I'll go to either Flanagans in the back street or Coffeys across from The Riverbank.

Coffeys has a good vibe, very social and a good spot to go to before a night out.

Flanagans has a bi-weekly singer/songwriter night on wednesdays. Tends to be a good night out. Staff is friendly, pull a great pint. Haven't had a bad night there.

-Seán

• Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭GerryRyan

Bazuki wrote: »
    Personally I'll go to either Flanagans in the back street or Coffeys across from The Riverbank.

Coffeys has a good vibe, very social and a good spot to go to before a night out.

Flanagans has a bi-weekly singer/songwriter night on wednesdays. Tends to be a good night out. Staff is friendly, pull a great pint. Haven't had a bad night there.

-Seán

Going to go with Seán on that one. Can't beat Flanagans for the music side of it, and attracts a young crowd on those nights. But personal favourite has to be Coffeys or the Whitewater.

Swifts is alright for a bite to eat and quick pint during the day - but the nite club just doesn't do it for me. Over-priced, and the music isn't up to much tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Bazuki

Don't get me started on Swifts. Downstairs can be alright at times, but there is good reason why I don't mind paying a bus fair over to Time. The dancefloor is a joke, with the ammount of people that go there your lucky if you can even move around to dance. The music is just cliché and ****, they never take a chance at playing something thats not in the charts. Alot of great dance music out there that Swifts just wouldn't touch for some reason.

Time however is great, nice and big and a wider choice of music. They even played Aphex Twin one night!

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

Excellant

Both Coffeys and Flanagans sound like my bag.

Anywhere for watching a few soccer matches on a Saturday afternoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Definitely Flanagans. Then Coffeys.

Swifts is dull. The film / music quiz on Sundays is a joke.

Anyone ever been to Charlie Ryans? Good food?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Giggsy75

Charlie Ryans..... are you serious????:eek: They can hardly find staff never mind customers. Johnsons isn't a bad spot, Harrigan's too. Flannagan's is definitely a great spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭Nea

If you are into football/racing I would go for Neesons(Mc Donnells) or Newbridge House.Swifts have large screens but you wont get much atmosphere in there as you will in the others.

Coffeys is quite a decent pub and has a very varied range of customers.

Harrigans is up its own arse imo.

And Charlie Ryans curry pies are to die for......................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 dizzydub

Nea wrote: »
    If you are into football/racing I would go for Neesons(Mc Donnells) or Newbridge House.Swifts have large screens but you wont get much atmosphere in there as you will in the others.

Coffeys is quite a decent pub and has a very varied range of customers.

Harrigans is up its own arse imo.

And Charlie Ryans curry pies are to die for......................

I agree about Harrigans being up it's own arse...I really like Coffey's and swifts is lovely for a carvery. If you're not into clubbing the back bar in swifts is open late and plays cheesy oldies which can be fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Foodie2010

Easily the best pub in the town, nice decor, nice atmosphere, great friendly staff and the best pint of Guinness for miles around, a def plus factor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭roy rodgers

con cummins on the front street is a excellant spot when the music is flowing. just bring an extra jacket with ya for when you go to the jack's, its an ice box:D.
    but ya have to love flans..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Gregsor

Harrigans has never disappointed,great pint and atmosphere.

Also recommend Lumville House for a quiet one,superb pint and good spot away from the hussle and bussle on the Curragh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 JDfan

Not great pubs in Newbridge. But heres the best.

Flanagans - secret gem that only the locals seem to know

Coffeys - Great pint and GAA bar

Johnsons - when it gets a crowd great atmosphere.

Cummins - Good local

Athgarvan Inn - Trad music on Tuesdays and Live music on Saturday nights

Harrigans - prob classiest pub in newbridge, good food too.

O'Rourkes - Another good local , good to watch football and have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

OP - If you are not aware already, there is abit of a divide in the town relating to Moorefield / Sarsfields. Neesons / Curragh Inn would be considered Moorefileld pubs and Coffeys / Johnsons are more Sarsfields.

Obviously you can in reality drink wherever you want but for some older / hardcore this would be a general norm.

My top pubs would be -

Coffeys, Johnsons, Harrigans, The Granary (recently done up and good for watching football), Curragh Inn, Whitewater. The rest aren't great imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Harrigans is my favourite, cant stand swifts

shhhhhh don't let them in on the secret that is Flans!!!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 14 thesodofturf

Hello.
    Someone said Harrigans never disappoints. That's probably true, if you're a stomach. Or if the triffids have gotten you (like if what you're looking for is...bland).
    Here's a little reality perspective from a born-bred-buttered:
    - Harrigans - sh*t (reasons: head up own a*se and more importantly: because it's sh*t)
    - Charlie Ryans - no idea, never been in it. Has anyone?
    - Johnsons - fine. if you're from Sarsfields
    - Judge Roy Bean's(/White Water/Rockingham) - kids eat free. All you need to know, all there is to know. (they actually have a good upstairs room for gigs)
    - Coffey's - fine. if you're from Sarsfields
    - Flanagans - close to perfect (reasons: multi-generational, music, generally not sh*t at all)
    - Curragh Inn - good if you are an agorophobics, if you like sports, kareoke, 25s.
    - The Keadeen Hotel bar - fine...if you're a posh c*nt or a visitor from the U.S.
    - The Railway Bar - fine. if you're local (in the sense that you were born in that actual pub) and play 25s
    - O'Rourke's - good. Quiet chats. Peace. Traditional music.
    - Stirrup's/The Granary/Ryan's - R.I.P. (also other honourable (or not-so) mentions: The Arch Bar, The Enclosure, The Keg, McCabe's (and the place it became for a while selling polish beer), The Hitchin' Post, Petty Sessions and all the others I'm too young to know)
    - Special mention: the good pubs that don't YET exist - I hope I'm around to drink in them and write more drunken midnight reviews about them on boards.ie
    - Cummin's - sublime (reasons: Con, Ukulele, music, conversation, 1970's,...Con)
    Special note: if you value a pub that hasn't ripped out the 70's red velveteen upholstery, head to Cummin's, if you value that Con's grandfather's name is personalized on a poster on the wall since 1915, basically if you want to watch Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,...head for Cummin's.
    Up Pubs! Down with bad stuff! People are great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hello.
    Someone said Harrigans never disappoints. That's probably true, if you're a stomach. Or if the triffids have gotten you (like if what you're looking for is...bland).
    Here's a little reality perspective from a born-bred-buttered:
    - Harrigans - sh*t (reasons: head up own a*se and more importantly: because it's sh*t)
    - Charlie Ryans - no idea, never been in it. Has anyone?
    - Johnsons - fine. if you're from Sarsfields
    - Judge Roy Bean's(/White Water/Rockingham) - kids eat free. All you need to know, all there is to know. (they actually have a good upstairs room for gigs)
    - Coffey's - fine. if you're from Sarsfields
    - Flanagans - close to perfect (reasons: multi-generational, music, generally not sh*t at all)
    - Curragh Inn - good if you are an agorophobics, if you like sports, kareoke, 25s.
    - The Keadeen Hotel bar - fine...if you're a posh c*nt or a visitor from the U.S.
    - The Railway Bar - fine. if you're local (in the sense that you were born in that actual pub) and play 25s
    - O'Rourke's - good. Quiet chats. Peace. Traditional music.
    - Stirrup's/The Granary/Ryan's - R.I.P. (also other honourable (or not-so) mentions: The Arch Bar, The Enclosure, The Keg, McCabe's (and the place it became for a while selling polish beer), The Hitchin' Post, Petty Sessions and all the others I'm too young to know)
    - Special mention: the good pubs that don't YET exist - I hope I'm around to drink in them and write more drunken midnight reviews about them on boards.ie
    - Cummin's - sublime (reasons: Con, Ukulele, music, conversation, 1970's,...Con)
    Special note: if you value a pub that hasn't ripped out the 70's red velveteen upholstery, head to Cummin's, if you value that Con's grandfather's name is personalized on a poster on the wall since 1915, basically if you want to watch Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion,...head for Cummin's.
    Up Pubs! Down with bad stuff! People are great!

I drink on the odd occasion in The Keaden Bar and seriously object to someone resurrecting a thread that has been dormant for over 7 years and being called either a posh c*nt or from the USA just because I might be entertaining a client in TKB.

WishUWereHere:
    You're totally right, I was being harsh on the Keadeen - I figure they can take the punch, they do so well and all. Good food, and my aunt's funeral reception was there and they were great. So let me rework my comment:
    - The Keadeen Hotel bar - fine...if you're a posh c*nt or a visitor from the U.S. OR entertaining a client.

And as for the resurrection: I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like. Especially since I love Floyd too. That's the Final Cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

WishUWereHere:
    You're totally right, I was being harsh on the Keadeen - I figure they can take the punch, they do so well and all. Good food, and my aunt's funeral reception was there and they were great. So let me rework my comment:
    - The Keadeen Hotel bar - fine...if you're a posh c*nt or a visitor from the U.S. OR entertaining a client.

And as for the resurrection: I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like. Especially since I love Floyd too. That's the Final Cut.

What?? You would like to hate someone just because they disagree with You?

Why bother having forums if that's the case. Don't worry to reply here, as I'm not going to reply anymore. Not worth it.

No - it's a lyric from the Stone Roses song "I am the Resurrection". Making fun of myself for not noticing I was picking up a long cold thread. No offence.

• Advertisement
Advertisement