Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bebo...death tributes???

• 24-01-2008 12:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

So its a bit morbid but its something thats struck a chord with me....Lately ive noticed more and more bebo pages dedicated to people who have passed away- with friends/people/randoms obviosuly leaving tributes.

What do people think of this...I know id want mine shut down...It freaks me out when someone else logs into their page and updates with funeral arrangemengts etc

Does anyone think its kinda reaching beyond the grave...or what are peoples views?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I'm immortal so I don't give a shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

How will people know of the funeral arrangements without the medium of Bebo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

No one ever died before Bebo came along. FACT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Santa Claus

I think the real worrying fact here is that people have started dying SINCE bebo came along !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 848 ✭✭✭MayMay

I think the real worrying fact here is that people have started dying SINCE bebo came along !

:eek:Jesus...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,894 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Shut down my bebo? But how would I spy on all those people I don't really like??? (except the bastards who set their profile to private :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

The worst part is people that leave comments talking to them, like im sure theyre checking their Bebo account in the skym maybe in the next life theyll come back as one of those new application you can stick on your page.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

They did, they just didnt have 1787 friends they'd never met to leave eulogies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

razorblunt wrote: »
    The worst part is people that leave comments talking to them, like im sure theyre checking their Bebo account in the skym maybe in the next life theyll come back as one of those new application you can stick on your page.

If there's bebo in heaven I'd rather go to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Scientologists.

• Advertisement

razorblunt wrote: »

Surely they have broadband up there? If not then I'm not going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Crazy Christ

What if you died and then some muppet you never got on with started being your best friend, talking to you through your page. Most of it is guff anyway, a load of people who don't even care that much leaving comments like as if they are devastated; in reality a lot of them are probably trying to attract more views for their profile

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

what im concerned about is the fact that death is trying to groom young kids on bebo, kids who are giving out personal details and arranging meetings and 'get togethers' :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

a lad i've known for years died on tuesday, and already his bebo is full of tributes, but i'd find it creepy if a big dedicated tribute page was created.
    i suppose different people need different ways to cope

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

i find them increadibly wierd, Did anyone see sky news about the 7 suicides in south wales that they believe could be possibly linked to these bebo tribute pages.....:( :confused::confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Yes, those seven people from Wales who had Bebo accounts but didn't actually know each other and weren't friends either on Bebo or in real life.

BEBO MAKES YOU COMMIT MASS SUICIDE! :rolleyes:

I hate Bebo, but this is just sensationalism and media madness.

I don't find posting tributes on someones Bebo any weirder than saying I'll miss you at a grave. It's peoples way of saying goodbye to a friend. It's when they turn into massive impersonal "comment here because a person you never met or cared about or ever heard about until they died is dead" kinda things that I get confused.

Btw does anyone have a link to Katy French's Bebo?

Assez Bien wrote: »
    i find them increadibly wierd, Did anyone see sky news about the 7 suicides in south wales that they believe could be possibly linked to these bebo tribute pages.....:( :confused::confused:

Yeah the conspiracy theories have started -

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=370985
    Detectives believed many of the victims had their own web pages on the social networking site Bebo and could have been driven to kill themselves as a way of gaining prestige among their friends.

After their deaths, friends set up "memorial" websites for each of them so people could leave messages, photographs and video tributes.

"They may think it's cool to have a memorial website," one officer told The Times newspaper.

Ridiculous stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Assez Bien

Something like this happened in our local area not with bebo but with the eulogies they were receiving like i'm not saying they should be damned or anything but it was all a liitle strange. Kinda sad really that they think they have to die to be truly appreciated.

Assez Bien wrote: »
    Kinda sad really that they think they have to die to be truly appreciated.

It worked for John Lennon and Kurt Cobain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In July 2007, Bebo had 31 million registered users 1

If we take the standard death rate for people under 25 to be 3 deaths per year per 1000 people, then 90,000 bebo users will die this year. That's 246 per day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

i hate bebo and i refuse to have a bebo account! i am probally the only one in ireland though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

i hate bebo and i refuse to have a bebo account! i am probally the only one in ireland though.
    Nope, I hate the thing, have never had and never will have any account on it.

How very presumptious of you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

I dunno, I find it hard to express to people my sympathy with them when someone they know or love has died. You feel like the bottom of the bucket when it does, and no amount of "jesus I heard about your Ma" is going to make it better. I guess, this being the digital age, people find it easier to type a few lines on a website or just to visit the page every now and then than maybe going around to the families house or visiting the grave.

I've got one ready for you when you die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

CCCP^ wrote: »

I've got one ready for you when you die.

and if you do i will haunt your ass!

and i didn't mean to be presumptious alot of people are on it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

yeah i think its a bit freaky tbh i don't like them but thats just my opinion, i seen one really terrible comment on katie french's one. it was so mean.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,372 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

aliqueenb wrote: »
    yeah i think its a bit freaky tbh i don't like them but thats just my opinion, i seen one really terrible comment on katie french's one. it was so mean.

must....resist...temptation...to post....katy french....joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,638 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Mossy Monk wrote: »
    It worked for John Lennon and Kurt Cobain.

Really, I thought the White Album and In Utero did the job. Commercial suicide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

andrew wrote: »
    must....resist...temptation...to post....katy french....joke.
    You should never resist temptation! Ever!

• Advertisement

Whats black, white and hungry?

Katy French's cat.
    Whats the difference between Katy French and Richard Hammond?

Richard Hammond Survived top gear.
    What do katy french and a phone line have in common?

They both die when they get a bad line

Ah yes...not resisting temptation feels goood

Advertisement