Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

reasonably priced target club membership

• 24-01-2008 1:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced target club membership? I know Midlands is great but the 500 price tag is prohibitive for me at the moment. Are there any out there with more modest fees?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Bond-007 wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced target club membership? I know Midlands is great but the 500 price tag is prohibitive for me at the moment. Are there any out there with more modest fees?

Midlands is €550 for first year only. I paid €265 as an existing member this year. Very reasonable once you pay initial fee IMO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Hi Bond,

I have to say that the Mid-Lands is the only range in the country with such high standards and facilities.

Rim fire Rifle, Full-bore Rifle out to 600 yards, Separate Pistol and Shot Gun ranges and extremely safe which is very important.

Their club house is like home from home with people who are like mind in shooting; I find it to have a very friendly atmosphere. The initial payment does seem expensive but well worth it. Hope you find a place to suite your needs.

In Sport

Michael O’Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

I take it there is no point joining Midlands at this time of the year as the year is half over?

What do places like Fermoy charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Club membership fees are pretty much the same countrywide Bond. All clubs require a joining fee because like golf clubs, the facilities that the club provides have been paid for by the investment of past members. It would therefore be grossly unfair for those members to see other people join the club without investing a similar amount of money for the preservation of the facilities they have provided and for improvements which are always ongoing.

Many 'commercial' clubs charge far higher joining fees than 'member only' clubs. I have heard of amounts of up to €1000 from these establishments. As Sikamick has pointed out, you only have to look at the facilities provided by a club to assess whether the joining fee is reasonable or not.

You should always look at the joining fee as your investment in the facilities that you will enjoy when using a club's property. If the standard of facilities does not match the investment then you should look elsewhere.

Many clubs have invested tens of thousands of euro in their facilities, especially over the last few years where upgrades have had to be instituted under the Garda authorisation scheme. This money has to be got somewhere and in a lot of cases was funded by current members who have had to put their hands in their pockets above and beyond their membership subs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I guess it really boils down to what type of shooting you have in mind, and the
    distance you are prepared to travel to do it .

I think a lot of places are only 100 meter ranges , and quite a few are mainly rimfire / .22LR. Hopefully , in a few years more ranges and shooting venues will be built, allowing new people to come into the sport.

It's in all our interests that the popularity of the sport and its profile as good .clean , safe fun increases.

I'd ring around , or even better .. visit any potential ranges you think might suit you. It's hard to beat personal experience of a place.

Just my two cent worth.

• Advertisement

Fair enough rrpc.

Guess I will have to save a bit more. I take it there is an optimum time of the year to join so as to get max value from the membership fees?

Fair enough rrpc.

Guess I will have to save a bit more. I take it there is an optimum time of the year to join so as to get max value from the membership fees?

Not really. Clubs in general understand the relatively high cost to a new member and in some cases will allow a phased payment of the joining fee and/or sub.

I know of a few clubs that pro-rata the annual sub depending on when the member joins, so that say for example the sub is €200 jan-dec and the member joins in June, they will be asked for a sub of €300 for 18 months.

It's a fair system and again if they allow phased payment, the pain will be spread. :D

I don't think Midlands allows such arrangements. Membership runs from Aug to Jul (same as FAC).

I don't think Midlands allows such arrangements. Membership runs from Aug to Jul (same as FAC).

I know that Fermoy and Rathdrum do. Anyone else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

The East Coast Shooting Club in Roundwood is just over the hills from you . We are a members club and we can prorate the annual sub and we really love the boards moderators Bond 007 so if you contact me we can work out a special deal. You will have to change your handle though if you want to join a shooting club.If you had other moderator friends who were interested, then we could do a volume discount.

• Advertisement

July to June

July to June
    Close enough. :)
    The East Coast Shooting Club in Roundwood is just over the hills from you . We are a members club and we can prorate the annual sub and we really love the boards moderators Bond 007 so if you contact me we can work out a special deal. You will have to change your handle though if you want to join a shooting club.If you had other moderator friends who were interested, then we could do a volume discount.

You have PM. :)

Close enough. :)

You have PM. :)

Never trust anyone who can't spell forty :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭fourtycoats

rrpc wrote: »
    Never trust anyone who can't spell forty :D

This was quite deliberate RRPC but it was kind of you(and the other 999) persons to point this out to me. Do you know who fourtycoats was?

Do you know who fourtycoats was?

Yep..!!

He was one of "Rory and O'Brien's " friends in "Wanderly Wagon " on TV , and that name was based on a well known Dublin "Character".. Originally played by the actor Bill Golding and later by Fran Dempsey.

Have a look :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-KnZVseNnY&feature=related

Close enough ? :rolleyes:

Jaycee, you must be old ! As old as me ! :D

"It ain't the years .....it's the mileage .." ;)

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

jaycee wrote: »
    "It ain't the years .....it's the mileage .." ;)

Well, so long as you don't say "Only one lady owner". :D

And wasn't Fortycoats spelled without the 'u' anyway? I vaguely remember seeing Fortycoats on TV as a kid, but I thought it was rubbish compared to Transformers. :D

Hmmm... I'm saying nothing , and besides she wasn't that careful anyway ..:D

Just think we may be straying a teeny bit off topic here :rolleyes:

Original Question :

It really depends what type of shooting you plan to do. ??
    50 meter .22 ? .. Not a problem afaik , you don't have to be a member you
    just pay a day rate fee in Midlands.

The bigger / longer stuff ... and the much longer stuff , yep you do.
    But i figure its a place i use every week at least once , and its a heck of a
    lot cheaper than the membership rate in a lot of health clubs.

Horses for courses I guess

you don't have to be a member you just pay a day rate fee in Midlands.

You can't use your own guns on the day rate.

• Advertisement

Yeah , i think you can use your own .22

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 MEAGLE.B

Yes
    I am the president of the Inner City PISTOL CLUB BASED IN DUBLIN. 3 lane indoor with canteen facilities. Membership is 200 euros per year and open to licence holders only. All enquiries PM me.

meagle.b

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Eh, is it though?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

MEAGLE.B wrote: »

Yes
    I am the president of the Inner City PISTOL CLUB BASED IN DUBLIN. 3 lane indoor with canteen facilities. Membership is 200 euros per year and open to licence holders only. All enquiries PM me.

meagle.b
    Why would anyone want to join a club that is unwilling to publically name itself?

You are more then welcome to advertise your location here when a user is looking for that information.

DeV.

I don't think it is a real club.

You can't use your own guns on the day rate.

AFAIK the only restriction on using your own licenced gun/s is pistol/s and I think this restriction is lifted for competitions.

You can pay a range hire fee and use the range. I'd bring your licence too.

I'd bring your licence too.
    I never leave home without it. :D

Advertisement