Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice spot for Valentine's night/15th in Tramore?

• 24-01-2008 2:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭

Hi,

GF lives in Tramore and was wondering where's a nice restaurant to go to? Can be in Waterford town as well. We eat anything really, but gf is rather fond of thai food.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

DEmeant0r wrote: »
    Can be in Waterford town as well.

Ooooh, I'm sure someone from Waterford city will be on shortly to eat you alive for your transgression! :D

I don't know many restaurants in Tramore, but as long as you've a car, I heartily recommend Rockett's in Westown, just outside Tramore. They do the basics and they do them well: ribs, crubeens (if you're into that sort of thing), stuffed chicken, along with colcannon and cabbage. It's the most down-to-earth Irish place you can get.

If you choose to go into Waterford city and are looking for Thai, I recommend Tuk Tuk Thai on Canada St (go towards Dunmore from the Tower Hotel and then take the left just at the park).

Limeleaf on Henrietta St (just off the Quay at the Reginald's Tower end ) is good too. Somewhere else I haven't been, but I've heard recommended, is Mai Thai, on the Quay further up towards Rice Bridge.

If you're sticking to Tramore, Sully might reply, since he has lots of Tramore knowledge. Search his posts too: I think he's got a site set up with local info.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Tramore has some nice places to eat in. You have The Esquire which you can either have bar food or head into the restaurant. Next up, you have The Sea Horse - very popular with tourists, they always recommend it! The Pine Rooms was always a popular restaurant, but its under new ownership now and I have no idea if its as good as it used to be. The Doneraile (in The Grand Hotel) isn't to bad of a restaurant, but I personally would pick The Esquire or The Sea Horse over it. The Vic Cafe is another popular choice. New in Tramore is Ballismo on Queen Street, replacing the last two restaurants that were operating from the same location.

I used to always go between; The Pine Rooms, Sea Horse and Esquire. However, The Pine Rooms is under new ownership so I don't know if its any good. Any tourist I sent down there always seemed to find it closed when they went. The Sea Horse is excellent, but I would probably pick the Esquire for Valentines day.

You could then head down for a drink in The Vic which is only down the road. The clubs in Tramore are not as good as they used to be, with "The Baldy Man" (changed its name to REDZ, like the club in Cork!) apparently being poor since the recent changes - and apparently people don't like the music much either. People seem to pick the new place Charlie Strings over it, and it seems a more popular club.

I don't go clubbing in Tramore, so the above would be just reviews I have heard from people. I used to always like The Baldy Man, was a nice spot but I felt town had better options anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fricatus wrote: »
    If you're sticking to Tramore, Sully might reply, since he has lots of Tramore knowledge. Search his posts too: I think he's got a site set up with local info.

Only one Restaurant listed, another said no, and another which is owned by a well known business man in Tramore ended up ignoring the invoices to pay! Good few B&Bs, no Hotels (simply ignored me!), and most of the activities in the area were happy to list. I will start advertising membership again soon, as I am closing the site for new registrations at the end of March to allow printing of the membership stuff. There are lots of businesses I have yet to ask, just limited on time. Its a great site, I personally think its the best the town has ever had. Its very popular and its very well listed on the search engines compared to the other two Tramore sites.

The Munster Express did a piece on us in this weeks paper, and I hope the News & Star will do so next week but no guarantee. So, this might attract more people to sign up!

So the best I can do for the OP is give him some recommendations from dealing with tourists for most of the year - so I know what they like, and they can be fussy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

There is a new place on Queen St., it's called Belissimo (I think) - it's the place that used to be Hartley's. I've had a few friends go there and they really liked it, said it was romantic etc.

As for clubs etc. REDZ is currently closed until Paddy's weekend and I doubt Charlies is open on the Thursday, but will prob be open on the 15th.

Sully: I wouldn't say The Pine Rooms is "under new management", Freddy has had it about a year now, if not longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Sully wrote: »
    Only one Restaurant listed, another said no, and another which is owned by a well known business man in Tramore ended up ignoring the invoices to pay! Good few B&Bs, no Hotels (simply ignored me!), and most of the activities in the area were happy to list. I will start advertising membership again soon, as I am closing the site for new registrations at the end of March to allow printing of the membership stuff. There are lots of businesses I have yet to ask, just limited on time. Its a great site, I personally think its the best the town has ever had. Its very popular and its very well listed on the search engines compared to the other two Tramore sites.

The Munster Express did a piece on us in this weeks paper, and I hope the News & Star will do so next week but no guarantee. So, this might attract more people to sign up!

So the best I can do for the OP is give him some recommendations from dealing with tourists for most of the year - so I know what they like, and they can be fussy!
    Would the site not do better if it was free to advertise on it, if i was an outsider looking at your site i would think that Tramore only has one restraunt in the whole town.

• Advertisement

Minto wrote: »
    There is a new place on Queen St., it's called Belissimo (I think) - it's the place that used to be Hartley's. I've had a few friends go there and they really liked it, said it was romantic etc.

Hartleys is long gone, but the last place was very nice - I just cant remember the name of it. Belissimo is loacted in Waterford, and they just changed the name over the door in Tramore, different chef and staff. Nothing else changed, but the food is still good.
    As for clubs etc. REDZ is currently closed until Paddy's weekend and I doubt Charlies is open on the Thursday, but will prob be open on the 15th.

That's one complaint I get a lot - its never open. Its constantly closed for long period, they changed there entrance 3 times already, and the place just isn't as good anymore. I don't know if its bad management or what, but the last guy that used to run it did a great job (Colin). I know you work there and most of your mates do, and im sure you will support it (I would to :p) but iv heard some of senior staff agree!

Its a pity, it was always an excellent club in Tramore.
    Sully: I wouldn't say The Pine Rooms is "under new management", Freddy has had it about a year now, if not longer.

Is it a year already?! Time does fly. Since Freddie took over I have not heard much reviews. One or two said it slightly slipped, but nothing major to mention. Most tourists I sent down couldnt get in. So, I really couldnt review it. If it hasnt changed, then its one to recommend. I would probably choose The Esquire or The Pine Rooms as my main choices.

paul666 wrote: »
    Would the site not do better if it was free to advertise on it, if i was an outsider looking at your site i would think that Tramore only has one restraunt in the whole town.

None of the Tramore sites, national sites, or any other decent tourist site is free. It costs us a significant amount of money to run it, promote it etc. so all funding is put towards the site. Its cheap enough to advertise on anyway, and we did a great starter promotion where it cost hardly anything to advertise! It simply could not be operated for free.

The old site (no longer being updated) has businesses that dont exsist anymore, listings with no information etc. Last I heard, the developer/host refused to hand it over to the tourism and are just leaving it sit there. Its much more misleading.

Its a shame people ignore my calls/letters/meetings/invoices, as its a very popular site. I have no idea the hits the old site gets, but we rate just as good on the search engines.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Hartleys is long gone, but the last place was very nice - I just cant remember the name of it. Belissimo is loacted in Waterford, and they just changed the name over the door in Tramore, different chef and staff. Nothing else changed, but the food is still good.

Your right, Belissimo is in town. Its some Italian name anyway. I've heard it is better and I'm 90% sure there are new owners.
    That's one complaint I get a lot - its never open. Its constantly closed for long period, they changed there entrance 3 times already, and the place just isn't as good anymore. I don't know if its bad management or what, but the last guy that used to run it did a great job (Colin). I know you work there and most of your mates do, and im sure you will support it (I would to :p) but iv heard some of senior staff agree!

Its a pity, it was always an excellent club in Tramore.

The first time it was closed was more health and safety than anything else. This time is kind of different. I don't think you'll find anyone in Tramore who will say they like REDZ better than the Baldy. The entrance was only changed once, from the old fire exit to the old baldy man entrance, that was due to keepin heat in, there was always a draft on the bar. I'm not defending it really, I think it sucks at the mo, the big positive for me is that the music is better than Charlies as of late.
    Is it a year already?! Time does fly. Since Freddie took over I have not heard much reviews. One or two said it slightly slipped, but nothing major to mention. Most tourists I sent down couldnt get in. So, I really couldnt review it. If it hasnt changed, then its one to recommend. I would probably choose The Esquire or The Pine Rooms as my main choices.

I haven't eaten there in ages. So I can't say either, but I have family who have and they said it is pretty much the same.

EDIT: Sully, just saw your new Tramore site. Is there any chance you could get me some info on the traffic on the site and also the cost of advertising etc. I might be able to help ya out a bit :) PM or email.

Minto wrote: »
    Your right, Belissimo is in town. Its some Italian name anyway. I've heard it is better and I'm 90% sure there are new owners.

As far as im aware, the old owners leased it out to Belissimo. The building inside/outside changed very little - just new signage. The old place was very nice, and I do believe Belissimo is very popular in town so im sure its good!
    The first time it was closed was more health and safety than anything else. This time is kind of different. I don't think you'll find anyone in Tramore who will say they like REDZ better than the Baldy. The entrance was only changed once, from the old fire exit to the old baldy man entrance, that was due to keepin heat in, there was always a draft on the bar. I'm not defending it really, I think it sucks at the mo, the big positive for me is that the music is better than Charlies as of late.

Since it changed to REDZ im nearly possitive there might be the odd weekend it never opened, then there was a long period where they blamed the council. There were reasons flying around the place as to why it closed. The enterance changed from the front to the side, and back to the front again. Twas weird. They used the fire exit as an exit a small amount of times in the past, ya think they would have realised the affects! I heard you were changing DJs ages ago, but nobody suggested things improved. Charlies iv never liked the design of it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Thanks for the suggestions, The Esquire sounds like a nice spot alright. Why aren't there direct train/bus services from Galway to Waterford and vice versa? This 6 hour journey to and fro is a pain in the bollocks

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestions, The Esquire sounds like a nice spot alright. Why aren't there direct train/bus services from Galway to Waterford and vice versa? This 6 hour journey to and fro is a pain in the bollocks

From May you'll be able to fly! Check out www.aerarann.com

Haha, like I can afford to pay €100 everytime I visit her. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

The lack wouldn't want to hear you saying that boy!

fricatus wrote: »
    Ooooh, I'm sure someone from Waterford city will be on shortly to eat you alive for your transgression! :D

Also, in all fairness the only city in Ireland big enough to be called a city is Dublin City, just because you've a cathedral doesn't mean your town should be upgraded to a city! :p

DEmeant0r banned.

NEVER say Waterford should not be a city.

Pfft. Cheek of some! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

He got his go boy!

DEmeant0r banned.

NEVER say Waterford should not be a city.

Proper order Sully... into the stocks with him for that comment! Prepare the rotten tomatoes :D

Ballismo is featured in the News & Star today, along with Discover Tramore (though, I laugh because they never published the website address or contact details. Im sure people will look it up on Google though!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

Ballismo is featured in the News & Star today, along with Discover Tramore (though, I laugh because they never published the website address or contact details. Im sure people will look it up on Google though!).
    lol i saw it too fair play to u
    hopefully now some of the hotels and restraunts might now jump on the bandwagon and advertise on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭rasper

Cripes easy to get banned on this forum, thought the web is about freedom and debate , guess not here

• Advertisement

Nah I was never banned, I just don't need any more restaurant suggestions because there were eh... complications, so I didn't feel the need to post again lol.

rasper wrote: »
    Cripes easy to get banned on this forum, thought the web is about freedom and debate , guess not here

Banned. There is no freedom here.*

No individual was banned in the making of this post, or other posts within this thread.

Nah I was never banned, I just don't need any more restaurant suggestions because there were eh... complications, so I didn't feel the need to post again lol.

Sorry to hear that mate.

Advertisement