Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving lessons before Provisional

Options
  • 24-01-2008 3:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 966 ✭✭✭

This is purely out of curiosity. Was having a chat with one of the girls in college today and she's convinced you can take your driving lessons before even applying for the theory test / provisional.

I have mine, so no need to worry on this end - but she's have her first 2 lessons at the weekend with no license of any kind - going along with the 'don't ask, don't tell' idea.

So my question - is there any truth to this? And if not, do the instructors just assume you've taken the theory test, or ask you to bring it along?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

No Licence = No insurance.
    I remember when i got my first driving lesson a few years back b4 i passed,he insisted i brought my licence so he could check and then bring it for anymore driving lessons (for the fuzz )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

By law, as far as I know you need to have your prov license before you can get driving lessons. I found this out about 3 weeks ago when I went to book driving lessons. Some "sole trader" ppl who will give you driving lessons and help you will obviously do this w/o provisional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭Fiach Dubh

As the others have said you have to have a provisional licence to drive even with an instructor. While you may not get asked to produce it by the instructor you'll have no legal defence if you get stopped by the Guards. Don't know where you friend heard this since it states quite clearly in the rules of the road that you need one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

My instructor made me show him my licence on my first lesson and then asked me randomly at the start of a few other lessons. You can't get lessons without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

LuckyStar wrote: »
    My instructor made me show him my licence on my first lesson and then asked me randomly at the start of a few other lessons. You can't get lessons without it.

ditto had two different instructors as I moved from Dublin to Kilkenny last year so changed instructors, both asked if I had my provisional over the phone when I booked the first lesson and both asked to see my provisional when I showed up for the lesson. Second instructor also asked for it randomly over the 7 or so lessons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 549 ✭✭✭WUSBDesign

OP, that girl is trying to chat you up:D .

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

I had my first few "lessons" before I got my provisional, but that's because it was my mother teaching me how to stop and start and basically move the car on Dollymount Strand :D

To drive on the road, you need a licence. End of.

Ok, I think to drive on Dollyer you need a licence too (insurance and what not) but it's less likely to be an issue ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I forgot my provo on my first lesson, left it in my own car, and she asked me about it half way through. Never mind about the legalities, I think the point the OP is after is does the instructor look for the thing, and that'd be a yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Yes.

If your instructor is your dad, and the location is the beach.

Advertisement