Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spurs say sorry after Wenger sprayed with champagne

Options
  • 24-01-2008 10:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

:D:D:D
    From today's Guardian
    Spurs say sorry after Wenger sprayed with champagne

Dominic Fifield
    Thursday January 24, 2008

The Tottenham Hotspur sporting director, Damien Comolli, issued an apology to Arsène Wenger in the wake of Tuesday's 5-1 victory over Arsenal after the visiting manager's post-match television interviews were interrupted by a trio of home players bursting into the room and spraying champagne.

Wenger was the innocent victim of what sources at Spurs admitted were "players' high jinks" as Jermain Defoe and two team-mates emerged from the celebrations in the home dressing room and into the White Hart Lane interview area, spraying bubbly as they went.
    Defoe and his team-mates are understood to have been intent on drenching the Spurs assistant manager, Gus Poyet, who was being interviewed before Wenger, but had been unaware that the television feed to the screen in the changing room had been on a time delay. Instead, when they burst into the interview room and emptied their bottles they found Wenger, in the right place at the wrong time, standing where Poyet had been.

The Frenchman, who was in between interviews at the time, safely avoided a hefty dry cleaning bill and was not soaked - he went on to attend his briefing with the written press - but the champagne did leave one of the interviewers sodden. For his part, Wenger remained calm but was distinctly unimpressed, with the incident duly prompting Comolli, formerly employed as a scout at Arsenal, to apologise on Tottenham's behalf before the visiting party departed White Hart Lane.

Other members of the Arsenal delegation, including the managing director Keith Edelman, had left the stadium early possibly anticipating traffic problems around the ground. Indeed, while Arsenal were represented in the directors' box until the final whistle, some directors left their seats around the 70-minute mark with Spurs well en route to a first victory over their bitter rivals in 21 attempts.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

Waste of good champagne if you ask me ..... would have saved the Aldi lambrusco for the Whinger :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Wonder did he see it? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭yiddo

Wonder did he see it? ;)

Doubt it :D

awenger26-toe.gif

See you at Wembley Pat? You bringing the Cockney?

See you at Wembley Pat? You bringing the Cockney?

Depends on tickets :confused: but we've booked up our flights anyway. doing a Sat night until Monday. Less than 70e. We didn't want to wait til last minute and then find that they were gone up to 400/500 euro :mad:

• Advertisement

yiddo wrote: »
    Depends on tickets :confused: but we've booked up our flights anyway. doing a Sat night until Monday. Less than 70e. We didn't want to wait til last minute and then find that they were gone up to 400/500 euro :mad:

Dublin-Gatwick with Aer Lingus is a bargain at €80 for the day trip, Ryanair are €150 to Stansted.

I got mine for 2c!

Myself, Telly Savales + his better half, and a mate Andy and his missus are over the Sat-Mon as well, will have to meet up.

Dublin-Gatwick with Aer Lingus is a bargain at €80 for the day trip, Ryanair are €150 to Stansted.

I got mine for 2c!

Myself, Telly Savales + his better half, and a mate Andy and his missus are over the Sat-Mon as well, will have to meet up.

Definetly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

yiddo wrote: »
    Definetly

Too fcukin right
    Wembleeeee Wembleeeeee,
    we're the famous Tottenham Hotspur and we're off to Wembleeeee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Whats a good hotel around any area lilywhite? Was gonna do the sat - mon myself, even if i dont get a ticket!

Better off staying in central London mate, we'll be on the piss in Covent Garden on Saturday and you're more than welcome to join us.

N17 is less than friendly when we're not at home, but if you must stay near I'd suggest the Holiday Inn in Walthamstow or the Jury's Inn in Islington.

Not sure what our plans are on the Sunday, I'd love to start off early foors in Tottenham then make our way from there, think a mate of mine is trying to hire a Hummer to bring us up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

id nealry fly over from Oz to go :)

Advertisement