Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interested in getting involved... but complete novice.

• 24-01-2008 10:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm hoping you can offer some advice. I've always had an interest in shooting, but never really in hunting. A few years ago, when on holidays I visited a rifle shooting range. The man who operated it was used to compete and I fired a few different rifles. I really enjoyed it, and would love to do it again on a regular basis, but never really looked into it until recently.
    When I did a bit of research, I realised in order to do this I'd need a few things, namely a club membership, a safe, and naturally a rifle! I was renting, so a safe was out and the whole thing went on the back burner.
    Now I have my own place, and a car so my situation has changed! (Sorry for long post - here comes that crux of it)

Can anyone recommend a club to me, which I could join? ...or at least visit for more info. I live in Dublin city centre. ...and I'm a complete novice. No experience/no clue. :o
    Thanks.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

What kind of target shooting are you interested in doing? There are lots of different types.

If you're an alumnus of TCD or UCD then your closest ranges are there, they're the most central in Dublin. If not, then have a look at this map, it has all of the range locations that I know about. There are others near Dublin (like BRC for example) that I don't know where they are.

The only major piece of advice I'd have (as always :)) is to join a club first and use their kit before you go out and buy a rifle. After getting used to the type of shooting you're interested in then you'll have the opportunity to get advice from the club members on what gun is best for you. The last thing you want to do is buy a rifle and then find out that it's not suitable for the type of shooting you want to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

It depends on the type of rifle shooting you want to do. There are many different disciplines and clubs that cater for them.

Have a look at the (still incomplete) boards wiki on clubs and ranges. Quite a bit of information there. http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Firstly - thanks for your replies!
    I had a look at the wiki, but didn't see anything about the different disiplines. When I went shooting I was shooting a .22 from sitting and standing, at targets at 50m. I also shot from a competitive rifle he had at a target 500m which was class!
    I guess I'd be looking to do all that again (although I understand I wouldn't be shooting out to 500m!) or as similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Sikamick

Conor, Excelent job on the map thanks again. One thing where you have the pointer is Kilsarn quarry, If you look at the map and come back to the road that is in grey we are the second quarry on the left from the junction.

I would be obliged if you can change the pointer to that quarry.

By the way you would be more that wecome to come to see our range and get a shot in.

In Sport

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club.

Sikamick wrote: »
    Conor, Excelent job on the map thanks again. One thing where you have the pointer is Kilsarn quarry, If you look at the map and come back to the road that is in grey we are the second quarry on the left from the junction.

Oops. Sorry. OK, is it the one at 53° 13' 42"N 6° 25' 0"W ? (Click on the link to see that location on Google Maps)
    I would be obliged if you can change the pointer to that quarry.

I will do, once I'm more sure of where it is.
    By the way you would be more that wecome to come to see our range and get a shot in.

I must do that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

Zulu wrote: »
    I had a look at the wiki, but didn't see anything about the different disiplines. When I went shooting I was shooting a .22 from sitting and standing, at targets at 50m. I also shot from a competitive rifle he had at a target 500m which was class!
    I guess I'd be looking to do all that again (although I understand I wouldn't be shooting out to 500m!) or as similar.
    If you look at the section 'Clubs and Ranges' and then pick out an individual club, there should be information. Disciplines is a section that each club should complete for it's wiki.

If it's not filled out for a particular club that you're interested in, try the club's website and ask here in that order.

Conor if you look between the quarry that you have given the map reference for and the one on the junction, we are right in the middle, the area is called Aghfarrell .

I hope this helps.

As they say a little Wiki goes a long way.

Thanks again.

In Sport

Michael O'Connor
    Secretary to Dublin Target Sports Club

Well, it roughly breaks down like this:

ISSF/NSRA: Shooting at 10m (indoors with an air rifle), 25yds (indoors with a .22lr) or 50m (outdoors with a .22lr) with no magnifying sights. It's shot from the prone, standing and/or kneeling position depending on the competition. This is the kind of shooting that I do. The clubs with the best facilities for this type of shooting are currently Rathdrum (.22 stuff) and Wilkinstown (air rifle stuff). The NTSA runs this kind of shooting.
    Smallbore benchrest: Shooting at all sorts of distances (pretty much all below 100m), sitting down with your rifle resting on a bench. The NASRC is probably a good starting point. Rathdrum does some benchrest shooting along with its ISSF & NSRA shooting.
    Fullbore/F-Class: I don't know much about this, but from what I've seen it's mostly from a bench or prone at targets 200m+ away. If this is what tickles your fancy, then Midlands Rifle Club seems to be the best place for it. Contact the NRAI for more details.
    Dynamic rifle shooting: IPSC-style stuff, again I don't know much about this. It involves moving through a range shooting at the various targets. The IPSA runs this type of shooting.

Apologies to anyone if I missed out on their favourite type of shooting. Please enlighten me! :)

Hi Zulu,

The Mid-Lands Range/Club will give you all that your looking, except shooting from a standing position. They have a full-bore 100,200,300 and 600 yards ranges and rim-fire 50 yards bench rest, plus Pistol and Shotgun.

Hope this helps

In Sport

Michael O'Connor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I understand that it may have been some years since you tried shooting last, and you want to get involved in taking up the sport now on a more regular basis.

Touring the clubs , (A nice idea for a few road trips ) and seeing whats on offer is probably best.

You mentioned .22 at 50meters and then you mentioned shooting at 500 meters or so. Both can be done, but you would be better improving your skills and knowledge of shooting with a .22Lr first , even at longer ranges with the larger calibres a lot of those skills will serve you well.

.22Lr is not a cartridge to be sneered at either , it's very accurate and very competent for target shooting. Equipment can be hired on a range at first until you have a clearer idea of what you want to do .

Good luck ..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

One other thing to consider is costs!!!!
    what can you currently afford to shoot or spend on shooting
    or how much are you willing to spend.

It "could" cost you over 500 Euro to Join a club for the first time.
    (Less to re-new membership) Thats a bit of a shocker for some
    people when starting out.

if your starting out
    some clubs will let you come in a visitor and you can hire a .22 for
    the day and shoot at the club as a guest. It means you dont have
    to be a member or own your own firearm. Grand for
    starting out but not ideal long term. Some clubs may even
    let you try pistol.

a .22 rifle may only a few hundred euros
    and ammo may only be a fiver for 50 rounds
    and you can get a cheap scope that will do.

a larger caliber rifle for shooting out to 600m may
    cost a hell of a lot more you could be talking
    1500-3000 ?? and you may need to get a decent
    scope which may cost big bucks too.
    ammo could be anything between 15-40 Euro for 20 rounds!!

~B

What bullets says about costs is why I (and others) always encourage people to try before they buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Call Hilltop (www.pcquad.com) and see if they have what you want

They have no fullbore rifle but have .22 benchrest and .22 standing rifle (running boar) to 50 metres

I live in Dublin and go there regularly.

Hope it helps,

B'Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

bullets wrote: »
    It "could" cost you over 500 Euro to Join a club for the first time~B

A golf club would cost a lot more !

If you want to do it it costs same as any sport

Quote:

Dublin Target Sports Club (Fee's)

200 Membership - Join up 100 Euro - Insurance if you don’t have it ( 55 Euro )

We have no problem getting members, the problem is getting people that will be active within the club activities.

We are very lucky to have a large Committee/ Sub Committees that is active.

We are interested in taken on new members, but what we don't want is people joining the club just to get their license. Maybe this is why a lot of the club’s fee's are high, if the fee is expensive you more likely to attend and get the value for your money.

We have an idea and we would like comments from boards.ie shooting forum members, ( to run a competition/draw through Boards.ie ) and to try to get other clubs to do the same to bring new blood into the sport.

We would give the winner one years free membership, pay the first years insurance and pay for their first Rifle or Pistol, but the winner would have to be a newbie, willing to be dedicated to the sport of Target Shooting and attend the range on a regular basis and get involved in club/ inter club competitions.

We do have a format in mind as to how this could be done that would include
    Boards Target shooting forum and Clubs.

If any of the groups mentioned above are interested in this idea please PM me.

Michael O'Connor
    Activities, Pistol Shooting, Bench rest Rifle, Compound and Recurve Bow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Sickamick

Sounds like a great incentive

If I'm not a newbie - but I am brutal - would that allow me to enter :)

I will watch with interest.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

Quote:

Dublin Target Sports Club (Fee's)

200 Membership - Join up 100 Euro - Insurance if you don’t have it ( 55 Euro )

We have no problem getting members, the problem is getting people that will be active within the club activities.

We are very lucky to have a large Committee/ Sub Committees that is active.

We are interested in taken on new members, but what we don't want is people joining the club just to get their license. Maybe this is why a lot of the club’s fee's are high, if the fee is expensive you more likely to attend and get the value for your money.

We have an idea and we would like comments from boards.ie shooting forum members, ( to run a competition/draw through Boards.ie ) and to try to get other clubs to do the same to bring new blood into the sport.

We would give the winner one years free membership, pay the first years insurance and pay for their first Rifle or Pistol, but the winner would have to be a newbie, willing to be dedicated to the sport of Target Shooting and attend the range on a regular basis and get involved in club/ inter club competitions.

We do have a format in mind as to how this could be done that would include
    the Boards Target shooting forum and Clubs.

If any of the groups mentioned above are interested in this idea please PM me.

Michael O'Connor
    Activities, Pistol Shooting, Bench rest Rifle, Compound and Recurve Bow.

Would it be best to aim (pardon the pun) this at a junior/student? Some kind of contract would have to exist reqiring the winner to "payback" if they dont make minimum attendences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

One of the many ideas that's floated about out there for years is that of having the relevant NGB apply for funding under the capital grants scheme for capital equipment (which, under the rules, covers everything we use bar targets and ammunition, thanks to the long life of your average shooting kit), and to then lease these out to promising newbies very early on in their shooting career for a nominal annual sum (which would count towards the total cost of the rifle if they opted to purchase it). Access to that program could be a prize in various competitions. I mean, if someone offered a newbie a new rifle and new off-the-shelf jacket and glove and so forth for (say) 50 euro a year, I'm pretty sure there'd be take-up on the idea, and since NGBs qualify for 100% grants in the scheme (and are the only body to do so), it would mean the NGB could concievably boost the sport quite a lot for very little outlay. (Granted, there would be operating costs since the not-leased-out equipment needs storing, but that's a push to keep the stuff out there, where it would do the sport some good, rather than hang on to it). Once the newbie takes up the sport in earnest, they can opt to buy their rifle/jacket/etc, or to return it, in which case it gets leased out to the next newbie. As anyone who's ever used club gear can tell you, spending an hour setting up buttplate and cheekpiece to suit, only to have someone change the settings the night before a competition, would be a major incentive to own your own kit...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭packas

IRLConor wrote: »
    Dynamic rifle shooting: IPSC-style stuff, again I don't know much about this. It involves moving through a range shooting at the various targets. The IPSA runs this type of shooting.
    QUOTE]

IPSC rifle shooting at the moment doesn't happen in Ireland. Norway is probably the best spot for that. The most popular division is semi auto centrefire

Pat.

packas wrote: »
    IRLConor wrote: »

IPSC rifle shooting at the moment doesn't happen in Ireland. Norway is probably the best spot for that. The most popular division is semi auto centrefire

Thanks. I'm completely clueless about IPSC stuff, I just didn't want to leave it out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭MortgageMan

I agree with Bananaman he is brutal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭sidneyreilly

I agree with Bananaman he is brutal. :D

+1:D:D

Advertisement