Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin review...sort of

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭

Anyone else been following the miniseries Iron Man: Enter the Mandarin? I'm really enjoying Eric Canete's artwork and I wandered by his blog to see what other goodies he had to offer and I saw this post.

I'm an artist of 10 years studying in anatomy and the human figure. I've also got a strong background and graphic storytelling and I know my way around several 3D modeling programs. So basically, I know what I'm talking about when I talk about art and I definitely know what it's like to with harsh criticism.

But more importantly I'm a fan of comicbooks, especially Marvel Comics and specifically "Iron Man".

And it's because of that I feel entitled to question the powers-that-be who gave you the shot of drawing such a classic character when you're obviously artistically unqualified to draw the Golden Avenger.

Go read the rest it is funny stuff.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Ah, the interwebs deliver entertainment once again. Haven't read the series in question (looked interesting, but figured I'd check the trade when it eventually hits) but well, wow. Clearly Canete's just bitter at the legitimate criticism delivered in that email.

Trust me, I'm an orthogonal banana technician artist

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

The highlight for me was when he said Canete should go read "how to draw the Marvel way" in order to learn how to draw - I nearly wet myself at that point....yes the interweb is a fun place.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Jesus, I remember reading that book when I was a kid and thinking that, as a starting point, it's probably better than just trying to trace pictures from the comics you read. But as a foundation in such things as anatomy, facial structure etc, it's a horrible source. Hell, it actively encourages people to implement a sort of Body Dismorphic Syndrome when they visualise their characters...

The guy who wrote that letter is as much an artist as my turds are an expression of political rebellion. Trust me, I'm an invisible ninja balloonistartist.

Advertisement