Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

god hates ireland??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

I can sympathise with your emotions. I think the only way to deal with those people is a high powered assault rifle with armour piercing rounds. :mad: :D

Too quick. Need something a little more Prometheian.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

legspin wrote: »
    Too quick. Need something a little more Prometheian.

What do you suggest? (besides something Promethian).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

What do you suggest? (besides something Promethian).

Having his liver pecked out on a daily basis would be a good start imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

robindch wrote: »
    Perhaps we're arguing using different terminology. Can you explain what you understand the difference to be?
    hummm, religion is the theory, the church is the people.
    Yes he does, but Bin Laden isn't a religion. My point stands.
    I agree with you to a point, religion certainly isn't the root of all evil, but I believe it can provide a fertile breeding ground for these roots to develop. Religion promotes group mentality and does not encourage individuality or critcal thinking and to have entire populations who are used to such unquestioning loyalty is obviously open to abuse.
    Well that's not fair either. Firstly, ok, religion promotes group mentality, but then so does political ideals, employment and any other coming together of a group of people. Secondly, to say religion doesn't encourage individuality is untrue. Religion doesn't deny the individual. Thirdly, on the point of critical thinking that's not true either, hence the amount of theological, and philosophical schools associated with the various religions.
    As for the final point on populations, religion isn't really the fault here either, it's the society.
    The Russian Orthodox religion and its centuries of serf mind-control made it easy for Stalin to do what he did without a mass uprising,
    The russian orthodox church capitulated to protect itself, and was riddled with spies like every other aspect of stalins russian
    Hitler took advantage of the anti-semitism taught by the Catholic church and Luther to justify his persecution of the Jews.
    So you are suggesting the Hitlers issues stemed from Religion? :rolleyes: come on - thats a serious unfounded leap. So he "took advantage", but that wasn't the religions fault now was it. He'd have done it without religion.
    Emperor Hirohito was a God to the Japanese people and they believed that the entire moral structure of their country would collapse should they rise up against him.
    Japanese culture was heavily based on pride and honour. Again, it's a leap to blame religion.
    Mussolini fostered good relations with the Catholic Church to win over the hearts of the deeply religious Italians. The same with General Franco.
    ...still not religions fault. You're firing out examples, but your blame is misplaced.
    It is possible that none of these men may have been truely religious (Stalin and Mussolini certainly weren't and Hitler probably wasn't) but that isn't the point.
    Truly religions!?! :eek: Are you aware of Stalins opinions of religion? I suggest you research that one.
    They saw an opening and used religion to first gain and later abuse their positions. If their subjects had been brought up without the sheep mentality that religion promotes and instead taught to be critical thinkers, as people who felt free to question their leaders without fear of divine retribution, would they have so willingly followed them into committing acts of unspeakable evil?
    In a word - yes. Stalin wanted to destroy the church. ...that kinda destroys your point.
    Look it isn't religion that causes populations to have "sheep mentality", it's society. It isn't religion that makes you obey your government. Sure it's another group structure, but it's not the cause.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,417 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Zulu wrote: »
    hummm, religion is the theory, the church is the people.
    well, I've had said that religion is the ideology, the church is the institution and resource owner, and the believers are the people. It's easier to map out religious interactions using these divisions.
    Bin Laden isn't a religion. My point stands.
    Huh? Bin Laden is using religious ideology to promote violence:
    OBL wrote:
    Therefore efforts should be concentrated on destroying, fighting and killing the enemy until, by the Grace of Allah, it is completely defeated. The time will come -by the Permission of Allah- when you'll perform your decisive role so that the word of Allah will be supreme and the word of the infidels (Kaferoon) will be the inferior. You will hit with iron fist against the aggressors. You'll re-establish the normal course and give the people their rights and carry out your truly Islamic duty.[...] and so on and so on [...]
    ...the same with the other quotes I gave you, and thousands of others that I could have.
    Thirdly, on the point of critical thinking that's not true either, hence the amount of theological, and philosophical schools associated with the various religions.
    Religious schools exist to propagate religions, not to question them except in the most cursory way. Are you actually familiar with what goes on in religious schools, sunday schools and the like? Have you read the thread on Jesus Camp here?
    So you are suggesting the Hitlers issues stemed from Religion? :rolleyes: come on - thats a serious unfounded leap. So he "took advantage", but that wasn't the religions fault now was it. He'd have done it without religion.
    There's little evidence that he could have. In summary, he acquired power using catholic backing, he sustained it using pre-existing christian-derived anti-semitic propaganda and policies, and emulated many of the forms and rites of christianity during his time in power. This is a topic that comes up here frequently and there's little point in going over it again.
    Look it isn't religion that causes populations to have "sheep mentality", it's society.
    I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me -- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father -- and I lay down my life for the sheep.
    'nuff said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

When you consider some of the horrendous acts across history that were done in the sake of a religious body (wars, terrorism, jihads, etc) and some of the twisted 'religious' bodies out there (like Scientology) and the corrupting bodies like Catholocism...

...would we not be better off without religion?

EDIT: Have moved Overheals new thread (first post above) to here as that exact discussion was already underway in this thread...
    Thanks
    Dades

• Registered Users Posts: 1,845 ✭✭✭2Scoops

Overheal wrote: »
    ... and some of the twisted 'religious' bodies out there (like Scientology)

Eh, what? :mad:
    [salute]To LRH! [/salute]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭Pompey Magnus

Well that's not fair either. Firstly, ok, religion promotes group mentality, but then so does political ideals, employment and any other coming together of a group of people. Secondly, to say religion doesn't encourage individuality is untrue. Religion doesn't deny the individual. Thirdly, on the point of critical thinking that's not true either, hence the amount of theological, and philosophical schools associated with the various religions.
    As for the final point on populations, religion isn't really the fault here either, it's the society.

Firstly I didn't say religion was the only cause of group mentality, so I don't see why you took issue with this. Secondly are you actually saying religion does promote individuality? Where? It gives all humans a set of guidelines to follow or else they are condemned. The early Christian Church is famous for its persecution of people who had opinions which differed from the mainstream and this behaviour continued for centuries, they were heretics and need I spell out in detail what the Church did to heretics? You must have a very broad definition of individuality if you feel that Christianity has ever actively encouraged its faithful to find their own path in life.
    The russian orthodox church capitulated to protect itself, and was riddled with spies like every other aspect of stalins russian

I wasn't referring to how the orthodox church behaved after the Revolution, I was more generally speaking about how the power structure it had developed over the poor and uneducated masses for centuries was taken and used by Stalin to great effect.

What are you talking about? Of course it absolutely was religions fault. How on Earth can you suggest that though the Lutheran and Catholic Churches heavily indoctrinated their followers that the Jews were "Christ Killers" and bred a climate of anti-Semitism in Germany, they can now plead innocence and say "We had nothing to do with it", the mind boggles. Just so you know Hitler and the Nazi Party did not introduce hatred of the Jews to Germany. As a matter of fact Jews were not even recognised as citizens of any German State prior to the 1800s.
    Japanese culture was heavily based on pride and honour. Again, it's a leap to blame religion.

It is also a leap to completely absolve religion of its responsibilities because of this. Also the culture of honour was heavily entwined with the divine, religion was certainly not seperate and independent from this.
    Truly religions!?! :eek: Are you aware of Stalins opinions of religion? I suggest you research that one.

Sorry? Did you actually read my whole sentence there or did it bore you and you stopped half way through, if you did read it I'm sure you would have found that I clearly pointed out that Stalin certainly wasn't religious. I don't think I'm the one who needs to carry out more research to be honest.

Overheal wrote: »
    ...would we not be better off without religion?

Probably. It won't happen for a long, long time though (that is assuming they don't take all of us down with them before then in a glorious Holy Nuclear-War).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Hooky 25

Would we not be better without the men who use religion as an excuse,

"IT IS NOT THE RELIGION BEHIND THE MAN BUT THE MAN BEHIND THE RELIGION"
    Wars are not caused by religion they are caused by man looking for more money and more power.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

(that is assuming they don't take all of us down with them before then in a glorious Holy Nuclear-War)

Step into the light, brother!

I don't know if it would really make a difference. Violence is still violence no matter what its cause is, be it lack of resources, survival or meme spreading of any kind, be it political or moral. Violence is an inherent part of being human. Maybe instead of people doing things in the name of god they'd just be doing it in their own name.
    http://www.livescience.com/health/080117-violent-cravings.html

I think tradition plays an important part in the whole thing and really hinders advancement. Ancestors believing their way was the right one. Maybe for the time, but times change. I'm not really sure where this self-impotance comes from, or is it a fear of change...

That said, maybe it would be one less thing to worry about.

Violence appears to be on the decrease anyway. Would this have any corelation to a decrease in religion?
    http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/163

I wonder are there any cultures that have no religion? I wonder how they get on...

All the best.
    AD.

Firstly I didn't say religion was the only cause of group mentality, so I don't see why you took issue with this.
    I'm just highlighting that it's a bit simplistic to blame religion for peoples failings.
    Secondly are you actually saying religion does promote individuality?
    I don't believe religions in essence try to destroy individuality.
    It gives all humans a set of guidelines to follow or else they are condemned.
    Teaching a code of practice doesn't equate to the denial of the individual. By that logic - surgeons have a code of practice - does medicen deny the individual?
    The early Christian Church is famous for its persecution of people who had opinions which differed from the mainstream and this behaviour continued for centuries, they were heretics and need I spell out in detail what the Church did to heretics?
    No need. The church was just that - the people, and back then people weren't very agreeable to differences.
    You must have a very broad definition of individuality if you feel that Christianity has ever actively encouraged its faithful to find their own path in life.
    As I said, I was raised a christian. I was taught about all the other religions, what they stood for and their histories. I was taught basic philosophy. I was taught about morals and ethics. The reason I was taught all this: so I could make an informed decision for myself. I and all in my school were taught to find our own path. Now I understand you can retort with: underneath it all I was in effect brainwashed, but then by that fact, you are acknowledging everyone who is taught is brain washed and there really in no free choice regardless. But then the whole debate is moot as that stands for teaching, not just religious teaching.
    I wasn't referring to how the orthodox church behaved after the Revolution, I was more generally speaking about how the power structure it had developed over the poor and uneducated masses for centuries was taken and used by Stalin to great effect.
    Ok, so you are saying that it wasn't directly religions fault, but because it existed a tool existed that could be abused?
    Of course it absolutely was religions fault.
    No it was Hitlers fault. Religion doesn't teach the mass execution of russians, gypsies, jews and homosexuals.
    How on Earth can you suggest that though the Lutheran and Catholic Churches heavily indoctrinated their followers that the Jews were "Christ Killers" and bred a climate of anti-Semitism in Germany, they can now plead innocence and say "We had nothing to do with it", the mind boggles.
    Because that is the church - not the religion. They are not one and the same.
    It is also a leap to completely absolve religion of its responsibilities because of this.
    Please - do you distinguish between religion and the church? Because if you don't we can't continue. If you don't my position is: I agree with you with a but...
    Sorry? Did you actually read my whole sentence there or did it bore you and you stopped half way through, if you did read it I'm sure you would have found that I clearly pointed out that
    Ok, so we are descending into the realms of being uncivil now? Do you want to continue this discussion, or do you expect my to submit and say - wow, you're right, I'm a moron? :confused:
    Stalin certainly wasn't religious.
    No he wasn't. So it wasn't religion that was the cause of what he did, now was it? He used the church as a tool, but it was religion.
    robindch wrote: »
    well, I've had said that religion is the ideology, the church is the institution and resource owner, and the believers are the people.
    Fair enough - a bit more through than my summation, but it's the same in essence.
    Bin Laden is using religious ideology to promote violence:
    True, but wouldn't you agree that he is not the religion?
    Religious schools exist to propagate religions, not to question them except in the most cursory way. Are you actually familiar with what goes on in religious schools, sunday schools and the like?
    I was thinking more along the lines of the third level institutions we have here in Ireland, that provide courses in philosophy and thelogy and the like.
    Have you read the thread on Jesus Camp here?
    No but I accept that certain churches have little more than brain washing camps.
    There's little evidence that he could have. In summary, he acquired power using catholic backing, he sustained it using pre-existing christian-derived anti-semitic propaganda and policies, and emulated many of the forms and rites of christianity during his time in power.
    Again though, wasn't all that a product of the church and not the actual religion?
    This is a topic that comes up here frequently and there's little point in going over it again.
    perhaps that's because it can be hard to distinguish between church and religion?
    'nuff said!
    Hardly. I fail to see how that proves religion is responsible for bad people doing bad things, or the cause of "good people doing bad things"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I dont think anyone is actually saying, belief in God, or in the teachings of a particular prophet etc causes evil. I think that no matter if you are an athiest or a devout theist you have to accept the fact that throughout history religion was used as a very convenient excuse to commit some of the worst atrocities, and it's still happening today. Religion may not be the real reason, but it is certainly the excuse and more importantly the motivating factor for most of the people comitting the atrocities.

Sorry Aidan, you're right of course about the churches doing enough damage themselves. In my rant I didn't explain what I was thinking properly. I mean people like him, who are obviously nutjobs, sort of overshadow normal religious or spiritual people. The people following him obviously do so with no proper thoughts and with no real love in them (I hate it when I sound like a hippy :( ). Leaving the door open for us all (non-athiests) to be labeled nut cases and branded sheep.

I dont think anyone is actually saying, belief in God, or in the teachings of a particular prophet etc causes evil.
    I think one or two might be. If they're not, then we're all in agreement and arguing the same point from different angles!! (which probably isn't a first) Are we?
    I think that no matter if you are an athiest or a devout theist you have to accept the fact that throughout history religion was used as a very convenient excuse to commit some of the worst atrocities, and it's still happening today.
    I totally accept that.
    Religion may not be the real reason, but it is certainly the excuse and more importantly the motivating factor for most of the people committing the atrocities.
    I have a problem with this though. Replace "the" with "a" and I'm happy. ;)

Sorry I know is appears as a subtle difference, but it does make a difference wouldn't you agree? :o

perhaps that's because it can be hard to distinguish between church and religion?
    It's not if you use the tentative definitions that I gave up above.
    True, but wouldn't you agree that he is not the religion? [...] Again though, wasn't all that a product of the church and not the actual religion?
    If you're going to define religion as "the theory", then obviously in that restricted usage, "religion" is never going to do anything. Ideas in people's heads are immaterial and can't, for example, pull the trigger of a gun. I don't quite understand how you can claim in any reasonable sense that the actions of a church and its believers are independent of the ideology that drives them.

In summary, ideologies encourage people to perform actions by creating environments within which certain courses of action are promoted or otherwise, and the examples I've given you -- AiG, Bin Laden, Jesus Camp and others -- clearly show religious ideologies being used to motivate and to legitimize violence.

I think one or two might be. If they're not, then we're all in agreement and arguing the same point from different angles!! (which probably isn't a first) Are we?

I totally accept that.
    I have a problem with this though. Replace "the" with "a" and I'm happy. ;)

Sorry I know is appears as a subtle difference, but it does make a difference wouldn't you agree? :o

LOL Zulu, if we're going to get technical............ for some people religion may be A reason, ie: witchtrials - personal issues with people were sometimes as much of a factor here as religious beliefs.

But if you look at the crusades - how many young men marched off with this idea that they are doing it for God? Marching to their deaths, murdering people with religion as their main motivating factor. Bringing it to modern times with the war on terror, what other reason could the suicide bombers have other than religion? I think in that case it is safe to say it is the motivation.

Ok, so we are descending into the realms of being uncivil now? Do you want to continue this discussion, or do you expect my to submit and say - wow, you're right, I'm a moron? :confused:

I apologise, I was tired and grumpy when posting that. That said I still stand by my points that religion does not promote the individual and that the actions of a Church should not reflect badly on the religion behind it.

When I look at the Bible it seems to be just one big effort to deny the individual their right to make significant life choices on their own. God gives you free will, but your decisions you freely make must agree with what we tell you to do or else. It kills off peoples desires for greater truths and understanding by providing them with simplistic answers dressed up as profound which it claims are all we need to know. Now of course you could come up with some exceptions but I would suggest that their individuality flourished in spite of religion and not because of it.

As for the teachings of Christianity being innocent of the crimes of the Churches it spawned I again have to object. The religion pointed out the blood of Christ would be on the Jews and their descendents, I think it is unfair to blame the phenomenon of anti-Semitism on the Catholic Church and Martin Luther misrepresenting what the Gospels said. They believed in the literal truth of the Gospel stories and it is quite easy to see how they could condemn the Jews because of this. I stand by my point that if a moral code leaves itself open to interpretation of what it means, and therefore can be used to justify atrocities, then that morality is inherently flawed.

As for the Bible not teaching the mass murder of Russians, Gypsies etc you are entirely correct. I don't know if either are mentioned at all in the Bible. However it does give plenty of examples of genocide and ethnic cleansing which God endorsed which could quite easily set dangerous precedents for justification of the mass murder of Russians and Gypsies.

18AD wrote:
    I don't know if it would really make a difference. Violence is still violence no matter what its cause is, be it lack of resources, survival or meme spreading of any kind, be it political or moral. Violence is an inherent part of being human. Maybe instead of people doing things in the name of god they'd just be doing it in their own name.
    http://www.livescience.com/health/08...-cravings.html

Don't get me wrong, violence would most certainly continue to exist with or without religion, however I would be slightly less concerned about Nuclear War if I knew that the people who held them didn't believe they could get eternally rewarded for employing them aggressively because of the message they get from their Holy Book.

LOL Zulu, if we're going to get technical............ for some people religion may be A reason, ie: witchtrials - personal issues with people were sometimes as much of a factor here as religious beliefs.
    I do! And thanks. I do agree that it is used as a reason and a tool. All I'm saying is, in it's own right, it's not the cause.

I believe, that even without religion, suicide bombers would exist. I honestly believe that it stems from disparateness and injustice, and once again religion is being used as an excuse. But ultimately, religion isn't the fault, it isn't the cause - it's a scape goat.

@ Depeche_Mode - no worries buddy, did you get caught in the M50 disaster? ;) It's friday! And you final point, about nukes - I too would be a lot happier if I knew fanatics couldn't get their hands on them.

But I do believe that religions, when taught correctly do promote the individual. As a product of such, it's clear to me, but it's improvable. As is the reverse though. All we could do is go back through the ages finding examples of good and bad to back up either side - and in essence all we'd be doing is proving that their are good people and bad people!
    However it does give plenty of examples of genocide and ethnic cleansing which God endorsed which could quite easily set dangerous precedents for justification
    ...but it unequivocally states "you should not kill". Lets face it, as far a christianity is concerned, there are the 10 rules that can't be broken, which ultimately sum up to "be nice to each other". That to me is the religion. The whack job that can justify killing a homosexual from that, is a whack job - and they are the danger! (Not the religion)

My point is, they'll do it anyway - they're not right in the head.

I think we might all be arguing the same point here from different angles as zulu said earlier. :rolleyes:

Except Zulu I want it to be written that you agree that for some people, religion is the only motivting factor - ah go on, give me that one!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

Don't get me wrong, violence would most certainly continue to exist with or without religion, however I would be slightly less concerned about Nuclear War if I knew that the people who held them didn't believe they could get eternally rewarded for employing them aggressively because of the message they get from their Holy Book.

Yeah.
    The less excuses for violence, the better.
    I can't help but wonder about the psychological repercussions of worshipping an infallible deity.

Although the conspiracy theorist in me would think that religion is used to gather support from the masses. Governments have their own personal reasons. :p

All the best.
    AD.

• Advertisement

Except Zulu I want it to be written that you agree that for some people, religion is the only motivting factor - ah go on, give me that one!! :D
    Do you need that on the record, or will a PM suffice ;)

the politician in me is getting ready to give a completely non committal response

It needs to be on record unfortunately Zulu. If you PM then I may take pieces of it and quote you completly out of context. :)

ok, but it's going to have some premisses :)

are you procrastinating?

I agree that certain ignorant people truly believe religion is their only motivting factor when commiting certain actions.

Is that ok?

I agree that certain ignorant people truly believe religion is their only motivting factor when commiting certain actions.

Is that ok?
    If I say no can you improve it?

For some ignorant people who are stupidly and blindly loyal to their religion and church, religion can be that individuals only motivating factor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Laslo

Isn't incitement to hatred still illegal in America?

Laslo wrote: »
    Isn't incitement to hatred still illegal in America?
    While there are laws against defamation and incitement to riot, I don't believe the US has enacted any laws against 'incitement to hatred' as we understand it in Europe.

In the US, I believe this originates from the US' First Amendment's sanctioning of "free speech" and not having had a war at home in the last century or so. While Europe, having had the Second World War, is more suspicious of nutters running around blaming the jews, the muslims (or evolutionary biologists) for the problems that any society faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Have you seen the God Hates Ireland website?? I'm seething, it's people like him that give religion a bad rep.

Yes, people who believe in religion do give religion quite a bad rep ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hooky 25 wrote: »
    "IT IS NOT THE RELIGION BEHIND THE MAN BUT THE MAN BEHIND THE RELIGION"
    Wars are not caused by religion they are caused by man looking for more money and more power.
    Except when they are caused by religious faith. Which is quite a bit

Advertisement