Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thief?

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

I was wondering, for you hardcore gamers out there, have any of you played Thief: The Dark Project, Metal Age or Deadly Shadows and what did you think of it?

None of my friends seem to have played it and those I've lent it to don't appreciate it half as much as I do...

What did yall think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

I think it was thief 2 I played. Loved it. great game play, you'd stand in a alcove for 10 minutes clocking the guard's route and the perfect time to make your move.

Decent storyline too.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not too keen on the first two, but Deadly Shadows is a brilliant game. The Shalebridge Cradle remains my favourite level in any game.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

first two were great, then they went and done a deus ex on the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

I was wondering, for you hardcore gamers out there, have any of you played Thief: The Dark Project, Metal Age or Deadly Shadows and what did you think of it?

None of my friends seem to have played it and those I've lent it to don't appreciate it half as much as I do...

What did yall think?

Played the first two! I suggest that anyone who doesn't think too much of them, play them in the dark on their own with the headphones on full volume and maybe smoke something herbal, and see how they feel then! Scary as fcuk!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

An absolute gem of a series. The third was let down somewhat by the ridiculous idea of splitting up the levels and the near-unforgivable crime of omitting rope arrows in favour of dumbed down wall-climbing escapades, and the fact that despite several underwater adventures in the first two any liquid above your waist AUTOMATICALLY KILLS YOU, and the combat went from being able to fight your way out only if you were VERY good to you waving a flimsy knife that couldn't cut butter. I wish I could say I didn't think it was because it came out on the XBox too, but my heart just wouldn't be in it.

But its strength of story and depth came through pretty much unscathed, and it wrapped up one of my all-time favourite series very nicely. I still return to the original from time to time. Stealth has never been done so well as it's been done in Thief, and the satisfaction of shutting the back door behind you after nicking a priceless item without a small army even knowing you were there is just unrivalled to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Slow Motion

My favourite description of it was "A Sneak 'em up!"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

All of them were pretty darn fantastic. The first two were more of a swashbuckling pirate adventure, you could fight your way through the game with a sword and have great fun. The third one is a pure stealth game, very different pace but still a fantastic game.

I cant see how you can compare this to a Dues Ex, where they turned a fantastic FPS/RPG into a braindead run of the mill shooter with the travesty that was Invisable War.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Sean7

Huge fan of the Thief games myself. I think but I can't be sure that I prefered the second out of all of them, but I could be mixing it up with spock knows what. Pity Eidos isn't going to bring out anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

When I think about it, I don't really want another Thief game. At least not one related to the last story. Deadly Shadows ended in a wonderful nod to the first game in a nice satisfying everything-comes-full-cycle kinda way, and as far as I'm concerned, Garret's adventures are over and he can take a well-earned break from saving the world multiple times.

That said, the setting is amazingly rich and fascinating, and there's plenty of scope to make more games within it, and I'd love to explore the Thief world more. Just not with Garret.
    The young girl he recruited at the end of Deadly Shadows
    now, that's another matter.

If nothing else, we need more games with the word "taffer" in them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Loved the series!
    Like sarky, Id like to see another release
    Brilliant story, atmosphere, gameplay. I didn't like deadly shadows at first but grew to love it. It also has one of the scariest levels ever made - shalebridge cradle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

Absolutely wonderful series is theif, never a game to take itself too seriously, excellent level design, for the most part pretty good mechanics and it pretty consistently scared the bejeakers out of me.

The cradle rox my sox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 amoeba_girl

Yeah I do think Shalebridge Cradle was a stunning level. Thanks guys for your replies, glad to know I'm not entirely alone in my love of it.

That was going to be my next question, what would ye think of a sequal or spin off?
    When I finished the third, I was kinda like, 'Oh god, perfect ending.' I hope the don't go and mess it up, and I heard discussions regarding the *SPOILERS*

litttle girl from the end, and maybe their continuing some storyline involving her, which I personally think I'd hate, but maybe wouldn't mind, a spin off type thing like they did with half life, ie. opposing force, blue shift?

Bah, I don't know though. To end it and leave it as a trilogy seems to be the only proper decent thing to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I'd love a new one, I only played the third but loved it.
    I went and bought thief 2 but lost it before i ever played it.
    I'm probably too much of a graphics whore to enjoy it anyway.

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

Unfortunately there are no plans to make another Thief game. I pray that changes though. Good thread on the subject here.

If you have Doom3, then this might be worth checking out.

Advertisement