Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

N32 Bus Lane

Options
  • 24-01-2008 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭

Whats the craic with the N32 'Bus' Lane? I know it was derestricted a while ago but the orange signs saying you can drive in it have all been ripped down or turned around so you cant see them while driving.

I heard a vicious rumour that it was the taximen who took them down, any truth to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭LarWright

Ferris wrote: »
    I heard a vicious rumour that it was the taximen who took them down, any truth to this?

Probably was (Taxi Driving Scumbags!**)

The N32 has always confused me.... For the last 3 or 4 years, no busses have used it. The AerDart from Howth Junction to the airport went bust and as far as I know, was the only bus that ever used it... There is absolutely NO NEED for a bus lane, especially the fact that it was 24 Hours for years. About 2 years ago I was stopped at a Gardai checkpoint, heading south, (really west) on it and the Garda accused me of "under-taking" and "using a bus lane". I told him that from Clare Hall, I was travelling in the inside lane, therefore not undertaking, just the outside lane was moving slower, due to the checkpoint, and that I was in a normal lane. He ranted on about it being a 24 hour buslane, and I swear to god, it was SO SWEEEET, because about 10 feet in front was the sign stating (Bus Lane : Mon - Sat 07:00 - 19:00). I was grinning like a chesire cat... the b@st@rd didn't know what to say to me... I told him to get his facts straight before quizzing someone (and gave him other pieces of my mind) and continued on.... Anyway, I'm getting off topic here....

I would say if the signs are up, and turned around, tough... If it has reverted to a bus lane, they should take them down completely. There's nothing to say that the wind didn't blow them around.... I'd just drive in it and argue!!

I did hear that they were supposed to painting cross-hatch into the bus lane (like the island in the middle) and just turning that road into a single carriageway? Dunno how true that is.... and while we're on the subject of this road, WHAT is the story with the link to the M50 just after the roundabout narrowing (with a yellow "road edge" line) into one lane, only to split into two lanes, 50 meters later????

Now, I'm off... my fingers are tired after that!!!

**DISCLAIMER: NOT ALL TAXI DRIVERS ARE SCUMBAGS, JUST MOST OF THEM ARE!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

Think the signs just turned with the wind to be honest. I still use the bus lane , like many others, and haven't had any trouble.

Re: the little yellow box at the top of the road. No idea what the hell thats all about, never seen anthing similar before and it makes little sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

It was two lanes for a while and it worked well. I don't know why they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭666bxg

I have been using the Bus Lanes on the N32 with no problems so far.

I txt'd the dublin Traffic programme on 103.2 the other day and they confirmed the bus lanes are still NOT IN USE. This, according to them is due to the roadworks on Clonshaugh Road.

Hope this helps,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭f22

As far as I am aware the bus lane was due for closure anyway due to fact that no buses actually use the route anymore.

Seems a bit of an expensive luxury to cater for taxi drivers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Apparently, the suspension of the bus lane has been extended because of road works at Clonshaugh which are due to continue until June.
    See www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055219530

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

LarWright wrote: »
    Probably was (Taxi Driving Scumbags!**)

The N32 has always confused me.... For the last 3 or 4 years, no busses have used it. The AerDart from Howth Junction to the airport went bust and as far as I know, was the only bus that ever used it... There is absolutely NO NEED for a bus lane, especially the fact that it was 24 Hours for years. About 2 years ago I was stopped at a Gardai checkpoint, heading south, (really west) on it and the Garda accused me of "under-taking" and "using a bus lane". I told him that from Clare Hall, I was travelling in the inside lane, therefore not undertaking, just the outside lane was moving slower, due to the checkpoint, and that I was in a normal lane. He ranted on about it being a 24 hour buslane, and I swear to god, it was SO SWEEEET, because about 10 feet in front was the sign stating (Bus Lane : Mon - Sat 07:00 - 19:00). I was grinning like a chesire cat... the b@st@rd didn't know what to say to me... I told him to get his facts straight before quizzing someone (and gave him other pieces of my mind) and continued on.... Anyway, I'm getting off topic here....

I was pulled by a Garda car two years ago on a Sunday right in front of the sign and same thing Garda told me it was 24 hours. And I politely asked the Garda to tell me what the sign said less than 5 foot away he began to read it out Mon-Sat 7-7 and then I asked politely again Garda would you mind telling what day it is? He said Sunday and the penny dropped then i suddenly went from driving in the bus lane to undertaking at speed. Now baring in mind at this point the traffic was busy for whatever reason and was crawling along the N32. My answer Garda I wasnt speeding I was going 40mph and its not fault that fellow motorists feel threatened to use bus lanes. He didnt like that and realised at this point it was too much hassle and went on his merry way. What a gosh*te. N32 is a joke anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

What a gosh*te. N32 is a joke anyway.
    Hey, it's not the road's fault if the powers that be lack any clue what to do with it.

Advertisement