Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heath Ledger - 'god Hates Gays' church

Options
  • 24-01-2008 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,im sorry if this is in the wrong place but ive just heard that the 'Westboro Baptist Church' are going to protest at Heath Ledger's funeral. Why? Because of his role in Brokeback Mountain. Also another 'church' called 'god Hates Gays' are going to protest at anything honouring the actor. Im not gay,not that this matters, but this angers me so much, seen a program about this so called church and they are just so homophobic and ignorant, believing they are better than everyone else. They protest at dead soldiers funerals, taunting the parents just because the army allowed gays to enter. Im seriously thinking of setting up a church called 'We hate god hates gays'. well when i say church i mean vigilante group,anyone want to join me? You'd get a free trip to the states,lol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

__plec__ wrote: »
    Im seriously thinking of setting up a church called 'We hate god hates gays'.

Srsly?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

The "Reverend" Fred Phelps is basically Satan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

Ill join your group but can we stop in new york for a bit of shopping?! :D

ah the Phelps famly are so funny! such odd people not worth the steam off your piss! I think he is being buried in Oz so they'll have to travel to his funeral! go on youtube and search for them, there is a brill video of Michael Moore and a load of gays following them around, its so funny!

they also hate ireland - www.godhatesireland.com, we live in the Emerald Isle of sodomites! lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Lawless_Samurai

Man I am in.... Protesting at his funeral thats just sick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

ive heard that he might be brought back to Australia, and i think Phelps is broke after loosing some suit against him, so wouldnt be able to afford the trip.

Feel free to tell me im wrong.

I dislike the Phelps family and believe that what they do is wrong.

• Advertisement

You know the family has done it to hundreds of gays, and US soldiers! Cant be all there!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Phelps is a disgusting vile human being. This isn't the first-time he's tried to hijack people's misery for his own twisted ends. Alas, free speech laws have helped him spew his bile but I'm hoping for the day he trips himself up and gets sent off to Guantanamo Bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He's a twisted fuk (I'd put money on it that it's due to him repressing his own homosexuality) but his family are scarily normal - quite nice people until they go off on their rants. I watched the Louis Theroux interview with them and was expecting a bunch of inbred freaks. I couldn't have been more wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

Really good video.

These people are seriously ****ed up. I hope the picket lines at Phelp's funeral prevent him from being buried until he rots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 ehhowaya

ahahaha love the flirting video! :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dudess wrote: »
    He's a twisted fuk (I'd put money on it that it's due to him repressing his own homosexuality) but his family are scarily normal - quite nice people until they go off on their rants. I watched the Louis Theroux interview with them and was expecting a bunch of inbred freaks. I couldn't have been more wrong.

I felt so sorry for his daughters. The way they had to ring their parents to see if they were allowed to go out for coffee at 18 was so saddening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Cokehead Mother

There's like 70 people in the church. It's insignificant. Why don't people don't just ignore it?

Shouldn't be an issue anyway, it seems that the service will be taking place in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Dashticle wrote: »
    Really good video.

These people are seriously ****ed up. I hope the picket lines at Phelp's funeral prevent him from being buried until he rots.

lol, very good :D

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Dashticle

There's like 70 people in the church. It's insignificant. Why don't people don't just ignore it?

Because they are a focus point for hatred, evil triumphs when good men do nothing etc. etc.

Mainly so they don't recruit a new generation and brainwash them to hate. I remember hearing of an interview carried out with some younger members of the Westboro Church where they clearly showed signs of programmed responses to questions, etc. Any organization that preaches mindless hate like this should be shut down.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

folan wrote: »
    Shouldn't be an issue anyway, it seems that the service will be taking place in Australia.

In the Louis Theroux documentary, it showed they have no problem flying to locations to picket them.

I could see them getting their arses kicked over there, though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Brian Capture

SDooM wrote: »
    I felt so sorry for his daughters. The way they had to ring their parents to see if they were allowed to go out for coffee at 18 was so saddening.

f*ck them.

You shouldn't be defending those bigots.
    They're old enough to know better.

The reason why they thrive is because of people like you making excuses for them and trying to justify their behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 RD/ID

The Phelps Family are certainly crazy (in a very cultish and delusional way) and offensive to almost everyone, even the conservative right in the US. It is for this reason that I appreciate their existence. They give a bad name to a kind of intolerance that is still largely acceptable in many parts of the US. I would have no problem with the attention they receive as there is certainly such thing as bad publicity and they have clearly embodied it.

I know many of my friends in the US wanted these nutz censored or ignored but in my opinion they do more for gay rights than most. They expose and demonstrate publically the basic ignorance and hatefulness that underlies all homophobia, inspired from religious traditionalism or not.

I would be interest to know if anyone agrees with me in that regard.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,590 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Isn't it a pity that these christian groups don't seem to have a Christian in them?
    I'm an atheist and while I don't have a place for religion in my life at all, If I was a Christian of any denomination, I'd be furious with the twisting of the central tenants of the new testament, love thy neighbour, let the one without sin cast the first stone and of course forgiveness, I mean, have the Phelps really read the bible, or just the bits to do with hurtin' folks who don't think the way they do.

Lets hope they are never in dire need and expect forgiveness and help themselves.

And gods help the individual in that family who does, perhaps, have feelings for someone of the wrong sex, faith, colour etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭crazy_dude6662

they have already disowned a few family memebers. although it didnt say why i assume they realised how awful what they were doing was.
    but i did feel bad for the really young kid who had a drink thrown at him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭markw999

SDooM wrote: »
    In the Louis Theroux documentary, it showed they have no problem flying to locations to picket them.

I could see them getting their arses kicked over there, though

There's going to be a public memorial service in America for him as well as him being flown home. That's what they're going to be picketing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 graceface!

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Isn't it a pity that these christian groups don't seem to have a Christian in them?
    I'm an atheist and while I don't have a place for religion in my life at all, If I was a Christian of any denomination, I'd be furious with the twisting of the central tenants of the new testament, love thy neighbour, let the one without sin cast the first stone and of course forgiveness, I mean, have the Phelps really read the bible, or just the bits to do with hurtin' folks who don't think the way they do.

Lets hope they are never in dire need and expect forgiveness and help themselves.

And gods help the individual in that family who does, perhaps, have feelings for someone of the wrong sex, faith, colour etc.

It is infuriating, let me tell you. Those are some sick, sick people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭gosimeon

Laugh at them don't loathe them. They're absolutely insanely rotten but it's just 10 or 20 people, they are attention seekers. :(

Advertisement