Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Suitable Hatchback/Sports Type Car for milage

Options
  • 24-01-2008 12:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭

Hi Guys, I'm wondering has anyone gota any ideas for a classy looking small car for millage. Kerry-Dublin weekly commute.

I was looking at Golf TDI say 6500EUR mark.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=665851

Sporty saloon TDi for additional comfort. Not a hatch but it's probably more suitable than a hatch for a long trip so something to consider

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

I drive a '98 Golf 110 GT Tdi 80 round trip a day and I find it great, ~50mpg all the time. The 90 Tdi gets even better mileage. A 6-speed 100, 115 or 130 would be better for motorway work plus they're quieter. Skoda octavias/seat leons/audi a4's would be a similar story. VAG diesels are the only way to go if you're buying a pre '00 diesel because they give the best mix of economy and performance.

If you look at one, rev it and check for blue smoke to see if the turbo is gone, best avoided as 2nd hand ones are scarce. The cambelt is best changed every 50k and is a 4hr job for a mechanic. Waterpump and tensioner should be changed with the cambelt. A louder than usual ticking or knocking could be the hydraulic tappets which is 400euro to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Nissan Almera 2.2 diesel, 136bhp, 6 speed, comfortable and an absolute animal to go and great on the stuff

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭63587614

Thanks guys. You really need to know those details when picking up a 2nd hand car. My last thing was a complete nightmare. Rover 400 Saloon. ****ing engine went in it from an oil leakage.

Must check out the Nissan Almera.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

cantdecide wrote: »
    Not a hatch but it's probably more suitable than a hatch for a long trip so something to consider

Is a saloon better than a hatch for long trips?

• Advertisement
Advertisement